It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• any tips for C 5/6-6/7 recovery from fusion??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2001, 10:10 PM   #1
    Aunt Kiki

Aunt Kiki HB User
    any tips for C 5/6-6/7 recovery from fusion??

Hi everyone! I will be having a discectomy and fusion July 6th for levels C 5/6 and 6/7.
    I am a 32 yr old non-smoking female and will be using my own hip bone. I am being told I will be in a Philadelphia collar for at least 4 weeks and will have to wear it 24/7. The NS also said I would be spending 1-2 nights in hospital after surgery, depending how miserable I feel.

I am considering buying a Lazy-boy recliner so I can sleep upright. I'm getting different opinions on this. One person tells me that there are special pillows I can buy to sleep upright and that the recliner won't give me much support and someone else tells me the recliner sounds like a good idea. Has anyone had problems with the collar? Should I buy Mole Skin for my chin area (another suggestion)?

I am a FedEx courier and the doc thinks I'll be out of work for 4 weeks then another 8 weeks of light duty (yeah right). Does this sound right? I don't want to take any chances. This is a workman's comp injury from an auto accident 5 1/2 yrs ago and I've tried everything to no avail.

The one good thing is that I'll be in my central air house all summer! hee-hee

I appreciate any advice you can give!

Kirby

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2001, 10:13 AM   #2
    patevgrn

patevgrn HB User
    Re: any tips for C 5/6-6/7 recovery from fusion??

I had a C5-6-7 ACDF done at the end of February and had a pretty quick recovery.

Are they putting a titanium plate put in the front, or are they (gasp!) going through the back of the neck? I was literally out of the collar in less than two weeks. The plate makes that short time in the collar possible. I wore the collar to bed up to the two week mark or a little more since I have a nasty habit of sleeping on my stomach. My advice for sleeping is to have a bunch of good pillows. I have (or think I do have) mild sleep apnea/snoring so if I tried to sleep on my back I wouldn't get much rest.

All in all, the recovery goes quickly. My biggest problem is that I enjoy pretty agressive sports (climbing, mtn biking, etc) and haven't been officially cleared to do those yet. I go in for my final X-rays next week.

Patrick
    Denver, CO

ps - I've got a couple of earlier posts about my experience.

Old 06-21-2001, 07:44 PM   #3
    Cardguy

Cardguy HB User

Patrick, how much pain did you have before your surgery? how long did you wait to have surgery?? How old are you?? does your scar show on your neck ?? I am 36 and have a c5-c6 disk herniation c6-c7 degen changes and have a stiff neck and some minor pain in my left arm. The Doc cant beleive im not in more pain. Thanks for any info...Just need all the info before I opt for surgery....Chuck in Kenosha WI

Old 06-22-2001, 01:26 PM   #4
    donnahc

donnahc HB User

I had surgery 2 weeks ago to repair a herniated disc in c6 and c7 and severe spinal decompression thru the back of the neck with no fusion. I am 36. I feel lucky that I was spared the fusion but I am not so sure about being operated on the back. I am still really sore. Luckily I only have the soft collar and I am not restricted to it. I am hoping to go back to work after another couple of weeks. Good luck with your recovery, from everything I have read it sounds like the hip part is the most painful part. Would like to hear about your surgery afterwards....Donna<p>[This message has been edited by donnahc (edited 06-22-2001).]

Old 06-25-2001, 03:13 PM   #5
    Neatz

Neatz HB User

hi-
    I had same surgery as yours(though I used donor bone) in Feb. I was in a collar for 10 weeks, back to work 41/2 wks after surgery. I had alot of problems- stenosis,spurs, osteophytes, ossified ligaments that had adhered to my dura and an auto fusion at the C6/7 level-6 hrs of surgery in all. Today I am 100% pain free. Looking back a few extra weeks at home would have given me a bit more stamina but I insisted that I was ready to go back to work. You may have to experiment w/the sleep thing. For me sleeping on my side w/my head and neck packed in soft pillows, pillow between knees and 1 under the feet was most comfy. You will have a graft site to contend with that I did not have. I have heard that is more painful then the neck surgery is. GOOD LUCK TO YA! Neatz

Old 06-25-2001, 07:19 PM   #6
    TLM

TLM HB User

Hello,
    I had fusion of c6-7 Sept 2000 using donor bone and hardware. I had hard collar for day and soft for sleep. definitly sleep on your side. For faster recovery and to feel better get out and walk, It made all the difference in the world. I feel great had a wonderful outcome. No pain, No medications, No more Doc. Good Luck!

Old 07-04-2001, 12:42 PM   #7
    Visionofangels

Visionofangels HB User

Wear the collar for as long as your doctor tells you! It's important to wear it to keep your neck in place. I felt sleeping with the collar was actually comfortable since it keeps your neck up and from falling forward. Lazy boy chair not necessary for sleeping but helpful once the collar is off and you have that extra support for your head. Take all the time you need to recover. Not taking that extra time will just lead to re-injury resulting in another surgery! I broke my neck and have had 2 surgeries and am scheduled for another one to place an additional titanium plate in the back of my neck. Take the time you need to recover. Work can get along without you just fine.

Closed Thread