It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• posterior c1/c2 fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2002, 12:54 AM   #1
    lizzilu

lizzilu HB User
    posterior c1/c2 fusion

I have a situation that I need help with. Two years ago I was in a hit and run car accident. I had hurt my neck (but didn't realize the pain until a few hours later) and went to my family doctor later that evening. I told her my pain was where my neck and shoulder meet. She thought it was severe whiplash. She did not take any X-rays nor put me in a collar and proceded to do manipulations. She continued manipulations for awhile, but they weren't helping. She didn't send me to an orthopedic until 3 months later where I finally got an x-ray, but nothing was found. I went to physical therapy for a while and went back to the orthopedic and he said I had reached a plateau with the pain and discharged me from his care...Anyway I had a baby soon after and my two older children are autistic (My 3 boys are now are 6, 2 1/2 and 1 years old), so I has a lot on my plate and my neck went on the back burner eventhough the pain bothered me. After things slowed down here (as much as they could) in October 2001, I went back to my orthopedic and he ordered an MRI and discovered I have a fracture in my neck. He then ordered a CT scan and found last Tuesday that the fracture is unstable (and I have never been in a trauma before or after this accident). I CAN'T believe I've been walking around with a broken neck for 2 years! Sooo, He recommended surgery because if I don't I could potentially become quadriplegic. I am getting a 2nd opinion, but he is the spinal orthopedic for a very reputable hospital and has an excellent reputation, so more than likely this is going to happen. I'm getting a C1/C2 posterior fusion. Has anyone had this surgery? What are the drawbacks &/or benefits? Did the Drs. procede with proper treatment? Thanks, Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2002, 06:19 PM   #2
    Lizzie51427
    Inactive

Lizzie51427 HB User
    Re: posterior c1/c2 fusion

Dear Liz,
    I haven't had the surgery yet, but I am scheduled to have a posterior discectomy/foraminotomy myself. I don't know when the surgery will be, but I go back on Jan. 28 for appt. to schedule the surgery. The only recommendation I would make is to maybe see a neurosurgeon about this, instead of orthopedic surgeon...Because, I feel the cervical area of the spine with all the spinal nerves, etc. would be better handled by a neurosurgeon, who specializes in this, rather than in bones...But, that's just MY opinion. Maybe you could get appt. with one of each, just to get a different perspective...? Anyway, just make sure you find an excellent surgeon, ok? Let us know how you're doing...Best wishes! Lizzie51427

Old 01-19-2002, 08:30 PM   #3
    lizzilu

lizzilu HB User

Thanks Lizzie and others that replied for the advice. It all helped. I am considering seeing a neuro-surgeon since I think my oss made a major overlook in my care. I just found in my medical records that they took the x-ray in 3-28-00 and didn't do a final xray report until 6-19-00 where they found something wrong with my c2 (either a non union or an old fracture) and recommended an MRI. I have a good question or two...Why did it take 3 months to read my xray right and why wasn't I scheduled for an MRI sooner than October 2001 when I went back because I was still in pain. Hmmmm any ideas???

Old 04-02-2002, 05:45 PM   #4
    con-FUSED

con-FUSED HB User

By now, you have probably had the surgery. I had a Type II odontoid fracture and lived an extremely active life with it for 25 years. My homepage in my profile has the whole story. I had C1 displaced my nearly 10mm and it bored a small whole in my cord but no loss of arms or anything, just no nerve response in my arms. Check my page out and e-mail me. I won't lie, wearing a halo is not easy and if you have any doubts about the doctor, you need to fly to Florida and see the country's best, Ignacio Magana at the Palm Beach Neurosurgery Clinic. Good luck! Oh and my surgery was Nov 16 2001.

------------------
    todd~the other white meat

Closed Thread