It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• numb thumb, tingling, degenerative spondylosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2002, 11:56 AM   #1
    safetygirl

safetygirl HB User
    numb thumb, tingling, degenerative spondylosis

A month and a half ago I woke up with a stiff neck and a numb thumb (right side). I thought nothing of it at first. Four days later I still had the pain and numbness so I went to my family doctor. He took an x-ray of my neck and said I had some signs of arthritic changes on my cervical spine. I had an MRI which showed degenerative spondylosis at c5-c6 with mild disc space narrowing and anterior and posterior osteophyte formation causing neural foraminal narrowing, right side greater than left. The signal intensity of the cervical spinal cord is within normal limits. The vertebral body heights are preserved. Some effacement of the anterolateral left thecal sac. I have no idea what that last part means.
    The neck pain went away, but the thumb has been numb since the beginning. I get tingling sensations in my arm occasionally, and a shock-like feeling down my arm if i turn my head to the right or if I tilt my head up.
    My nerve conduction test showed no nerve damage. I have been going to physical therapy for 2 weeks and it has made no difference so far. My doctor has referred me to a neurosurgeon, and I have to wait about 3 weeks to see him.
    I am 39 years old, scared and confused. Anyone have or had similar syptoms, advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2002, 01:09 PM   #2
    Nanner
    Veteran
    (female)

Nanner HB UserNanner HB User
    Re: numb thumb, tingling, degenerative spondylosis

You mention you had a nerve conduction test-do you mean an EMG? If so, how long after onset was it done?

The symptoms must be present at least a month for an EMG to give a good reading of nerve damage-at least that's what my family doc told me.

Closed Thread