It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cross your fingers (I can't)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2002, 09:38 AM   #1
    Rita B

Rita B HB User
    Cross your fingers (I can't)

Hi all,
    I was lucky enough to find Lizzie a few moths back through this board. She lives not far from here so I was able to go to her Doctor. It took a over a month to get into see him but I am glad I found him.

Anyway, my sysmptoms have steaditly gotten wosre to the point I need two hands to pick up a cup of coffee. I am on 900 mg. of neurontin per day, but I wake up very early (4:00a) in so much pain I can hardly walk or move my arms. I have bilateral symptoms because of where the herniations are located.

My next appointment is June 10th (it can't come too soon) and I will get all of the results of my mylegram. I am expecting fusion at 2 possibly 3 levels. Does this mean I will not be able to move my neck anymore. If so, I don't think I will be able to go back to work as a manager. The doctors say they will not be able to bring back the strength I have lost but thank heaven, they will relive the pain.

Thanks for any advice you veterens might have.

Rita

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2002, 06:36 AM   #2
    beebauser

beebauser HB User
    Re: Cross your fingers (I can't)

hello rita,
    I cant be much help, my problems are in lumbar area. But I can tell you I relate to those 4am wake up in agony days! I found that as the pain increases as I am sleeping I incorporate it into my dream...till it gets so bad it wakes me up.
    Maybe a long acting pain pill can help you, it did me..I can get at least 4 hours a night now...wow!
    best of luck to you ..let us know what happens after your dr. appt.
    bee
    hope for pain free moments

Old 06-05-2002, 06:53 AM   #3
    Rita B

Rita B HB User

Thanks Bee,

Yes, 4 hours of uninterupted sleep would be great. Since I am not working, I am lucky enough to catnap during the day.

Hope the doc can help me! No one should have to live this way!

Thanks,
    Rita

Old 06-05-2002, 06:53 PM   #4
    Sue
    (female)

Sue HB User

Hi Rita:

I had surgery on lumbar (micro-d), so not an expert on the neck area, but wanted to mention that after your fusion, and the docs get that irritation away from the nerve, that you SHOULD regain SOME strength in your arms. It's not impossible. I'm glad to hear the doctors think they can alleviate your pain, but I believe that while your nerve is healing, that you should get some strength back. I had a micro-d L5-S1 in March, 2001 due to weak legs (pain had subsided before the surgery, but I needed the surgery anyway do to the weakness and loss of reflexes, twitching muscles, etc.)....ANYWAY....the strength in my legs DID improve, reflexes are back and the muscle twitching is gone. So, there is hope. After the surgery I was great for about 3 months, then had disc collapse in the surgery area. No fault of the surgeon, it's just my body. So, now I do have some pain again, but the surgery did help.

Let us know what the doc tells you on June 10th!

Take care!

Sue

Old 06-05-2002, 07:21 PM   #5
    Rita B

Rita B HB User

Hi Sue,

Thanks of your reply. You mentioned twiching and weakness of your legs. I have the same but I thought it was restless leg syndrom because it occurs at night.

Again, thanks for your support and insight!

Rita

Closed Thread