It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C7-T1

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2002, 05:40 PM   #1
    drdok

drdok HB User
    C7-T1

Due to various events occurring intermitently for two years (weakness in fingers, inability to twist off caps on Budweiser bottles, tightness in upper back when driving long distances)eventually easing into muscle spasms under right scapula and later the addition of heat sensations in left scapula region (both warm heat blanket like enjoyable sensations & "who lost the barbeque coal" type heat), I checked with my internist and brought in an orthpedic. X-rays, NSAIDS(MOBIC), physical therapy, chiropractor(I am praying for deliverance at point) and four weeks later, I have an MRI that indicates that my spinal column (C,T,L) is in great shape except for the C7-T1 juncture. My ortho is now recommending epidural injections for relief. Having observed the epidural my x-wife received when our lovely oldest daughter was born, the crunching sound I heard will forever be remembered. I am 57 years old. I enjoy spearfishing, kayaking, basketball and running. Or at least I did. Now I can't pickup any thing heavy that loads my spinal column off axis.

Has anyone had good luck with the epidural injections in a similar case?

There appears to be a major structural change between the neck and the thoracic in loading. I am quite sure that my particular degradation is due to playing football in high school and college and my youthful propensity to lead with my head in blocking and tackling. Your past (and the truth will always come out) will always catch up with you, according to my aunt that raised me.

My main question is how is the surgery for the C7-T1? Are there any survivors that can report back?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2002, 07:21 PM   #2
    RhondaM

RhondaM HB User
    Re: C7-T1

Hi, sorry to hear about your C7/T1. This is where I had a ruptured disc in Feb/01 and it was extremely painful. However, when you mentioned about the area of heat under the scapula, this is where I had this "lump" type knot and heat to, for about 2 months prior. Of course, I put on the old heating pad, and that night my rt hand and fingers went numb. The twitching was intense. Make a long story short, I did have surgery (no epidurals) in Nov/01 laminectomy. I must tell you that I still have weakness in my hand and fingers. The pain down the arm is gone. Now, saying that, the pain I didn't have before is now in the neck area. My doctor explained that once you have "degeneration" of the discs, one will always have problems. I am limited to sitting, lifting etc. I also did the chiro (which I was told by my surgeon, this could damage it further).
    You did not mentioned what the MRI stated, however, if it is herniated, it can rupture. So be careful. Sorry I could not tell you about the epidurals, but as far as having surgery, I can honestly say its about 30% better.
    Tomorrow, I am having decompression/fusion/screws on the L5/S1. See, it is like the domino things, all starts to fall apart. However, I may have a spine of 120 year old, but my heart is still 18. Grin!
    Rhonda

Old 05-08-2002, 03:35 AM   #3
    Unregistered

Re: C7-T1

Hi!
    I have Degeneration Disc Disease in whole spine - but also herniated disc/bonespur particularly C7-T1 - which gives me pain down left arm, into left hand, numbness of forearm, pinkie and ring finger, knot below scapula and so on. At this moment in time, I'm in pain but not in crisis (TG!!). And - as surgery is apparently not for me - too many levels etc - the cortisone epidural really helped me!! I had my first in Spring 2000. Have had two since. They take a couple weeks to have an effect. And you must find an excellent person to do them under Xray control naturally.
    I'm 55 by the way. As a teen I did a lot of acrobatics and took a great many falls. This might have caused some of my problems.
    Hope you find a solution.
    Berenice

Closed Thread