It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Burning pain in lumbar region

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2001, 03:44 PM   #1
    kwujek

kwujek HB User
    Burning pain in lumbar region

Hi all. I am new to this board and have been reading all the informative posts.

I was sitting at a stop light 3 1/2 months ago when I was rear-ended at 50 mph. I was in a 2000 Ford Explorer and had my head and trunk turned to the right as I was talking to my daughter who was in the passenger seat. The other driver swerved at the last minute and caught the entire right half of my vehicle with her SUV. Damage was considerable ($14,300 so far). I believe that I was thrown into the driver's door and then back into the hard (and high) plastic counsel that sits between the seats. I am 40 years old.

Like many of you here, I cannot get my doctor's to listen to me. I live in a small community 90 miles SW of Chicago. The doctors I have seen are not only not helpful, they are downright hateful towards me. The look on their faces when they see me come in makes me want to run right out the door. I am persistant, however, and have managed to get two MRI's ordered and several Xrays and am starting another 4 weeks of physical therapy this week. I have also seen a neurosurgeon who said that I wasn't surgical and gave me a referral to a physiatrist (someone who is supposed to direct your physical therapy). You would not believe the abuse I have taken from these so called professionals.

My most recent Dr. visit was Thursday with the physiatrist. She would not listen to my complaints or reports of progress in some areas, would not look me in the eye and hurried through the appointment that I had waited 6 weeks for. This was only my second visit to her. She told me that I have Fibromylagia, a term I know some of you will be familiar with. She did not explain this, did not do the required tests needed to make this diagnosis, and stressed that it "couldn't be proved". She practically kicked me out the door after only 5 minutes (and I fought for every one of them). She did more things, but this is already getting way too long.

Please forgive me for the length of this message.

My question revolves around one of the MRI's. It is the one that prompted my GP to make the appointment with the neurosurgeon before his office even called me with the results.

It is an MRI of the cevical spine and reads, in part:

There is straigtening of the mid cervical spine from C4-C6. There is degenerative disc dehydration in these levels. There is mild posterior osteophyte formation at C6-7 that is broad based. This effaces all of the CSF signal anterior and posterior to the spinal cord. There is suggestion of a congenitally small bony canal at the C5 and C6 levels. There is also mild left-sided foraminal narrowing. The spinal cord is otherwise normal in signal and morphology. Minimal bulging is present at the C4-5 and C5-6 levels without focal disk protrusion.

In the impression part of the report, it mentions the congenitally small central bony spinal canal, osteophytic ridging, and says that there is moderately severe central spinal stenosis without significant cord flattening.

The straightening of the mid cervical spine, the left-sided neural foraminal narrowing and the use of the words "without significant cord flattening" have me really worried.

Since two days after the accident, I have been having pain in my lumbar region. It started with vague pain in both hips. It has progressed rapidly over the last 6 weeks and is to the point where I can't walk or even sit for more than 15 minutes without a burning, tearing pain radiating throughout both buttocks, down both legs, and in the pelvic region. I feel like I am on fire. This alternates with crazy muscle spasms that started in the back of my left leg 4 weeks ago and are now everywhere in my body. The spasms are not painful, just very annoying. Compressing one part of my body, like when I cross my legs, causes the burning to begin or intensify. This condition is progressing daily. I also have terrible knotting of all the leg muscles which started with the IT bands on both legs (this is the entire band that runs down the outside of your leg from the hip to the knee). Both bands knot up horribly and it is extremely painful when my physical therapist tries to message the knots out of there. My thighs feel like they have concrete in them.

I have also had significant (and very similar) problems with my neck, shoulders, arms (even underarms) and grip. I have days where I drop everything I try to pick up. These problems, while still very significant, do seem to be responding somewhat to the physical therapy. I have had significant swelling in my throat (swollen gland feeling) and this has caused my throat to swell nearly shut on one occasion when I had a secondary viral infection.

Please, if anyone has had similar findings on a cervical MRI or can offer any advice, please contact me. I am doing my best to deal with this, but the pain became unbearable a long time ago. My kids deserve my full attention and I am not able to give it to them at this time.

God Bless all of you.

------------------
    Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2001, 03:43 PM   #2
    kwujek

kwujek HB User
    Re: Burning pain in lumbar region

Hi Lizzie,

Thanks for your replies. Have you been told this same thing? How did your problems originate? Also, is there a way to change my username? Thanks.

Old 12-17-2001, 08:07 AM   #3
    kwujek

kwujek HB User

Hi again, Lizzie.

I have already read most of the posts on this site and another. I too, have come to the conclusion that problems in this area of your neck control just about every part of your body.

I have been up two nights in a row since 3 a.m. with burning pain all through my butt, hips and legs. It is horrendous. I look like he** and everyone is starting to notice.

I've even found some posts here and on another site where people have typed in their MRI results and they are almost exactly like mine...foraminal narrowing, bulging disks, effacement of fluid, etc.

The thing that has me really worried is that their problems, while originating where mine did in the neck, shoulders and arms, took MUCH longer to get to the point where mine are now in my lumbar area. It hasn't even been 4 months since my accident.

I am seeing my idiot GP again this afternoon. In the meantime, I am going to check into what, if anything, the Mayo Clinic may be able to do for me.

Everybody in this area where I live who believes they have some sort of serious problem, finds a way to go there. If I can manage it, that will tell me once and for all if I have some kind of permanent damage. I am tired of the games. If you would have told me 4 months ago that I would be spending most of my time running from this doc to that and reading health boards, I would have told you you were nuts.

No amount of money in the world could make me take the abuse I have suffered.

Even if my doc refuses to make the referral and tells me to see a shrink, like I expect he will today, I am not out of resources.

I have a first cousin who is a psychiatrist in Australia. In Australia, if you want to be a psychiatrist, you have to be a medical doctor first. That is what she has done. I am just about ready to email her to see if she thinks a trip to Mayo is warranted given the expense that I will probably end up bearing.

I researched the Fibromylagia thing and it doesn't look like I have that, or if I do, I have a serious underlying problem.

I am going to be deleting this chain of posts after your read this.

I'll wait until I see your next reply.

Thanks for your help. You have confirmed much of what I already suspected. I'll try to contact you with my new username when I sign up again.

Have a great day.

Kathy

Old 12-29-2001, 03:03 PM   #4
    kathryn2

kathryn2 HB User

Dear Kathy, Burning is nerve damage. Also if you have spinal stenosis that can cause severe pain. Don't worry about the shrink. Sounds like heir might be an insurance issue. Am I right? I have had 3 MAJOR back operations. I have the spurs and most of what you mentioned. Someone does not want to pay your medical it soulds like. I would go to the mayo without all your previuus records, but do take the MRIs. You have to be in pain my dear, with all that is wrong in yur spine. Stay with the doctors that treat you RIGHT and dump the rest. Often pays top trave till you get a proper diag. They can now operate on the stenosis, and the spurs. Just remember as long as their is burning, the nerve damage is still going on.If it is bad enough it cannot be fixed! It feels like a fire inside you, right? I have it a lot, and I dispise that feeling.Hope you get to feeling better. Try and keep your mind off of the pain by staying bust with your hands, or reading. That is half the battle with pain. Have had it for 30 years, and it took them 17 to find the real problem. Till they did they said it was all in my head. Then they found a large cyst in my spine! I now have a shunt to drain it, and a morphine pump for the pain. It can't be fixed. Good luck to you my dear. I pray your pain lessens, and you new year will improve.Don't give up no matter what the shrinks say! They are only human beings that are doing a job. I do think many are un qualified at what they do. (SOME) Kathryn2

Old 12-29-2001, 04:27 PM   #5
    kwujek

kwujek HB User

Thanks for your reply, Kathryn.

I am burning even as I write this.

My problem now is trying to figure out just what kind of doc to go to. My idiot GP (who simply doesn't believe anything I am saying) said that if I did have the burning, it meant radiculopothy but that the neurosurgeon that he sent me to wrote a letter which specifically states that I absolutely do not have either radiculopothy or myelopothy.

The GP was the one who sent me to this neurosurgeon and in fact the appointment with the nuero had been made before I had even been notified of the results of the cervical MRI. At the time that I saw the neurosurgeon, I had horrific burning pain all through the neck, shoulders and into the arms (among other things). I had vague pain in the hips (since day 2 of the accident) but the burning in the legs and butt have all been within the last 2 months. It alternates with crazy muscle spasms and the burning is now also in my underarm area.

I asked my GP's nurse (who is now at the point that she won't even call me back) how I skipped over a neuroligist and was sent to a neurosurgeon and all she would say was that it was because of my complaints.

All correspondence between my GP and any other doctor he has referred me to looks funny. I ended up in the emergency room once because of throat swelling and that report has notes written in the margins stating that I kept trying to blame the problems on the accident and that this emergency room doctor saw absolutely no evidence of this.

Also, the physiatrist really changed her tune between my first and second visits. At the first visit, she was talking about doing nerve conduction studies, but by the time I saw her 6 weeks later, she wouldn't even give me the time of day and diagnosed the fibro.

I feel like I have been railroaded by the GP because of a disagreement we had involving an ENT a couple of years ago. In short, he had wanted me to see an ENT that was his friend and I wanted to see another. This was for my daughter who was born with a cleft palate. He got mad when I wanted to see the ENT I had picked and yelled at me and insunuated that my daughter was epileptic. The ENT got wind of it and the two of them had a big blow up.

I am at my wits end. I have spent probably $7,000.00 on this so far and it doesn't look like I will be getting anything out of the other driver's insurance with the GP acting like this. I am in pain, but reluctant to risk my family's financial future any more.

I have heard that chiropractors are trained to detect nerve damage. Has anyone had any luck with them. I am scared to go because early on I went for 2 sessions and the manipulation threw me into a tailspin.

Perhaps I should try to find a neurologist?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 12-29-2001, 08:24 PM   #6
    kwujek

kwujek HB User

Thanks, Mary for your support.

Closed Thread