It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 2 level ACDF - No collar?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2001, 12:08 AM   #1
    patevgrn

patevgrn HB User
    2 level ACDF - No collar?

Looks like the laminectomy is not an option for me... BUT ...I was pretty suprised to hear from my neuro that I don't need to wear a collar!

I'm 30, very active male and have herniated C5,6 and C6,7. Have an anterior diskectomy with fusion on the 28th. Not thrilled about the fusion part, but the disks are pretty blown. He'll put a titanium plate and screws in the vertebrae for support (and donor bone plugs).

He tells me that I should be able to go back to work the next Monday following and able to do light exercise (recumbent bike) after 2-3 weeks. He also said that I'd be able to resume my more agressive activities (mtn biking, etc) after 3 months.

Is this too optimistic? Does everybody always have major throat discomfort for a couple of days?

I've read a lot of postings on this board and I hear of folks being in collars for 6+ weeks and unable to resume work for months. Anybody have a similar experience with similar age, etc?

I'm trying to get a realistic picture of what my life's going to be like over the next few months...

TIA,

Patrick

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2001, 07:13 PM   #2
    TLM

TLM HB User
    Re: 2 level ACDF - No collar?

Hello, and good luck with upcomming surgery. I had C6-7 hernaition reparied in Sept. using donor bone and hardware. I did have a collar for 6 weeks. I have done real well, I guess better than most. I am not on any meds, I have some discomfort in my neck and shoulder if I do to much. I didn't have much trouble with my throat, it was sore for about a week, but I was never hoarse or to the dismay of my husband never lost my voice. My doc's said I could go back to work after two weeks, the company said I had to wait until I no longer had the collar which was for the best. I dought you will feel like going back in a week. You need time to heal correctly. Im 30 something. Good luck! I also had to have pieces of the disc removed from my spinal cord.

[This message has been edited by TLM (edited 02-22-2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by TLM (edited 02-22-2001).]

Old 02-21-2001, 11:30 PM   #3
    kdb
    (female)

kdb HB User
    Re: 2 level ACDF - No collar?

Wow! I'm 48, had my surgery 11/15/00 and just stopped wearing my collar last week. I am a desk worker and my job takes me on the road a fair amount. I could return to my desk work in 4-5 weeks. I had no sore throat however considerable difficulty swallowing (more than seems typical per others and doc)for about 4 weeks. There is no way I would have been ready for work in a week and I could not have done without my collar for at least the first 6 weeks. For the first 3 weeks, my neck was weak and head felt too heavy when I took the brace off just to shower and change the dressing. Oh, sorry, I forgot to say I had 3 level fusion with titanium plate and screws. I was not allowed to drive for 4 weeks, then only short trips until last week when I got a go ahead for full driving privileges.
    You asked for a realistic picture, this is it. You will NOT be hiking and biking for a while. Walking is always encouraged but will be very limited the first week or two due to neck weakness and pain if you do too much.
    Good luck and God Bless.

Closed Thread