It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Vitamin E Oil/Emu Oil on scar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2002, 09:46 PM   #1
    Niteowl

Niteowl HB User
    Vitamin E Oil/Emu Oil on scar

Hello all,

This isn't a very serious topic, but I'd like some of your opinions, please!

I'm 10-days post, and per the discharge instructions, I dutifully pulled off the surgical tapes (I had no stiches or staples). I'm not very happy with this 3" rope on my neck! (Although I'll take the scar over the previous pain and numbness anyday!) Unless this is some sort of swelling, it will never blend in with the fold in my neck.

The discharge instructions say I can use Vitamin E oil, but not until 3 WEEKS post! Has anyone used it sooner? Did you have any problems? I remember using it sooner after other operations -- maybe the neck is trickier?

Also, has anyone used emu oil? If so, did you have good results?

Take Care!

------------------
    Adele
    ACDF C5-6, C6-7 on 10/30/02, using donor bone, with titanium plate and screws

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2002, 09:10 AM   #2
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    Re: Vitamin E Oil/Emu Oil on scar

I would wait, only because the doctor said to. Don't see what it would hurt, I used it after two weeks, but I didn't have any instructions not to. Strange, I had the very same operation you did and my scar to start was very thin... (I too had the surgical tape). To be honest, I don't think it will matter in the long run, either way that scar is going to be gone before you know it!
    Good luck.
    Deb

------------------
    Debbie2
    ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
    September 4, 2002.

Old 11-10-2002, 10:42 AM   #3
    mothmin

mothmin HB User

sorry to hear it owl. that's the difference between men and women...we can just tell people the scar is from a knife fight...with terrorists! I'm sure it will go away. I had 51 stitches in my chin once from a surfing accident, i got the stitches done at a walk in urgent care center, and they were very sloppy and jagged, the dr. said I would eventually need cosmetic surgery cause there wasn't enough skin to cover the wound. when I went back 2 months later the dr. didn't beleive it. almost totally healed with not much scaring. good luck.

Old 11-10-2002, 05:26 PM   #4
    LadyRedFoxxx

LadyRedFoxxx HB User

Nightowl, DONT WORRY!! I am a VERY VAIN person and that scar on my Neck and Hip was one of my biggest concerns!! Mine also looked like a big ugly rope after 10 days, on my neck and hip. I use CURAD SCAR PADS almost right away every day and Vit E and now at 5-1/2 weeks the ROPE is gone, and there is just a thin line on neck and hip. It probaly needs at least another 2 months with Vi E to be barely noticable, but it will WORK!! I had my Gallbladder and an Umbilical hernia removed last year, 3 incisions about an inch long and you would need a maginifying glass to see them now, so relax it will go away!!! Lori

------------------
    Double fusionC5-7 with own bone and plate Oct3,2002

Old 11-11-2002, 01:28 AM   #5
    Niteowl

Niteowl HB User

Hi Mothmin, Lori, Deb!

Thanks for all the support. Hubby especially liked the joke about fighting with terrorists!

Also, I was browsing the Vitamin Board today and found a post that touted emu oil under the topic "Vitamins for SCARS". The post said emu oil had reduced the appearance of scars from a run-in with a barb-wire fence!

While buying some Blue Stuff recently, I saw emu oil on the shelf. The clerks said it was great for really dry skin, and my husband gets the worst cracked skin on his hands. So, I bought some.

That's the reason I asked about emu oil -- I have it on hand and would have to go buy the E. I put it all around the scar, where the bandage adhesive made my skin all red and dry, and it feels great!

After reading your post, Lori, I decided to put it on my scar now. Too early to tell of course...

I guess I'm worried because I had knee surgery that left a 3" rope scar -- and instead of the swelling just going down the scar flattened out to where it's 1/4" wide in spots! But I'm not flexing my neck like I did my knee, so I was comparing an apple to an orange. Thanks for telling me about all your results!

------------------
    Adele
    ACDF C5-6, C6-7 on 10/30/02, using donor bone, with titanium plate and screws

Closed Thread