It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• home-hydraulic cervical neck-traction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2002, 10:57 AM   #1
    kathym43

kathym43 HB User
    home-hydraulic cervical neck-traction

I hope that everyone is in good spirits and not a lot of pain!
    Has anyone ever used a home-hydraulic cervical-traction device? My therapist recommended it as that was the only thing in therapy that seemed to relieve some of the pain in my arms.
    I pray that is has helped someone. My doctor believes my spine will heal by itself. I am on Xanax, elavil, and vicoprofen. It has been over a year and now the meds do not seem to be very effective. Any advice? I would really appreciate your advice. Love to all, Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2002, 12:46 AM   #2
    Kamden
    Veteran

Kamden HB User
    Re: home-hydraulic cervical neck-traction

Over a year is way too long to still be having these symptoms and you should be trying a different approach. I have used the cervical traction and it did nothing for my symptoms. You mention it is the only thing that relieves just some of the pain which tells me even this does not help much. I have over 20 years of back and neck problems and have found that many doctors really do think they can help you and will keep trying 9 months later even though your symptoms have not improved much. It is time to move on when you are not getting much relief within a month. I would suggest you go to a neuro. if you have not already, and be evaluated because they specialize in the spine and nerves and know the best course of treatment. Do you know exactly what the source of your problem is?

[This message has been edited by Kamden (edited 09-22-2002).]<p>[This message has been edited by Kamden (edited 09-22-2002).]

Old 09-22-2002, 01:34 PM   #3
    kathym43

kathym43 HB User

Thank you so much for your concerned reply. I went to pt 3 different months. On the last one, the only thing that gave me relief in my arms was neck traction lying down. She suggested that I got a home unit where I can use it several times a day. I have been waiting for 2 months to see if my insurance will cover it. I am going to borrow money so I can get it. It costs over $500. I have a herniated disc at C-5 and C-6. I have a slight herniated disc at L-5. I am seeing a neuro at Loyola. He seems to think that I have a young spine and that I can heal by myself. Meantime, I have a 3 year old and can only do so much. I spend a lot of time on heating pads. I have been taking elavil, xanax, and vicoprofen. It has been over a year, 6 doctors (different). It seems like my meds aren't working like they used to. My spirits are so down. I go to see the neuro on Oct. 12th.
    I am afraid to have surgery as I know it may not help or could make pain worse. Should I accept this pain as part of my life? I want to be able to do things with my little girl (she is my angel, she often rubs my arms with her little-hands) trying to make me feel better. I have never cried so much in my life. Not just because of the pain but the emotional turmoil I am going through. All my love,Kathy

Old 09-22-2002, 09:30 PM   #4
    Kamden
    Veteran

Kamden HB User

Kathy, I also suffered for a year with a herniated disk at L4-5 lumbar area. I went to two different doctors and received 8 months of treatments to no avail. The PT helped with the pain, but that was all. It was when I was pushed into going to a neuro. by my husband and family, that I found out no treatments were going to help me. The herniation was huge and 8 months of treatments should have been more than enough. I then went and got another opinion by another neuro. just to be sure and also because I was afraid of having surgery too. I had surgery and am very happy I did. When it has been this long, and you are still suffering this much, it has taken over your life. Everything you do is decided by your pain and how you feel at that time, so you really need to see a neuro. And I would wait on that traction device. Here is why. You only feel better laying down in the traction, and you can't live your life laying down, which means it is not really helping you, because when you stand, you are in pain again. Don't order that traction, and get to a neuro. atleast to get his recommendation. And if he recommends surgery, you can get a 2nd opinion and then it is still always up to you on what to do in the end. I even waited a month to make the appointment even after talking to two of them! I was scared, but do not regret it. When you have been this way for so long, { like I was } you really don't realize how much it has taken over your life, I didn't either, and that is why I was pushed into atleast seeing a neuro. because if I hadn't been, I may very well still be sitting here suffering, you get used to it. But my family was also affected by it and could see the change in me more than I could. So please see a neuro. Keep me posted!

Closed Thread