It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Numbness leaving but feel tightness in throat

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
    Saucer
    (female)

Saucer HB UserSaucer HB UserSaucer HB User
    Numbness leaving but feel tightness in throat

I had Anterior fusion surgery in 10/10 of C2-C4 (was already fused posterior) and posterior hardware installed from C2-C5 to pull head up. I have been numb from top of head to middle of back and from top of head (in front) to collar bone. I Believe feeling is coming back as I feel pain on the incision and tingling on my throat.
    I am having a tighness in my throat, and notice what feels like something stuck in throat when I swallow. I cant imagine this has been there since the surgery and just feeling it because sensation is coming back. I never had problems swallowing after surgery, never choked, never felt tight feeling.
    Has anyone else had this happen?

Fused surgically C2-C4 anterior
    Congenital fusion from C2-T3 posterior and anterior

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2011, 04:20 AM   #2
    frenchfri1003
    (female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User
    Re: Numbness leaving but feel tightness in throat

I did have major swallowing issues due to swelling. Needed steroids and alot of time.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:22 AM   #3
    bunz50
    (female)

bunz50 HB Userbunz50 HB Userbunz50 HB Userbunz50 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saucer View Post
    I had Anterior fusion surgery in 10/10 of C2-C4 (was already fused posterior) and posterior hardware installed from C2-C5 to pull head up. I have been numb from top of head to middle of back and from top of head (in front) to collar bone. I Believe feeling is coming back as I feel pain on the incision and tingling on my throat.
    I am having a tighness in my throat, and notice what feels like something stuck in throat when I swallow. I cant imagine this has been there since the surgery and just feeling it because sensation is coming back. I never had problems swallowing after surgery, never choked, never felt tight feeling.
    Has anyone else had this happen?

Fused surgically C2-C4 anterior
    Congenital fusion from C2-T3 posterior and anterior
    Hello Saucer, I am a little confused here, when did you see your Dr(follow up appt?) last and have you told him your symptoms or of the numbness you have experinced for 7 mths(seems like a long time to be numb from head to back)? How did you swallow anything with no sensation? Also a little concerned that you have pain on your incision, again after 7 mths the incision should be healed by now with no pain radiating from it. Saucer I think you should speak with your Doc and get everything checked out, I had a 3 level ACDF in Feb/09 and I still have a large lump on the front of my throat/thyroid area along with swallowing issues, sometimes it can be scary,
    take care saucer and keep us posted,
    Bunz

Old 05-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
    Saucer
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bunz50 View Post
    Hello Saucer, I am a little confused here, when did you see your Dr(follow up appt?) last and have you told him your symptoms or of the numbness you have experinced for 7 mths(seems like a long time to be numb from head to back)? How did you swallow anything with no sensation? Also a little concerned that you have pain on your incision, again after 7 mths the incision should be healed by now with no pain radiating from it. Saucer I think you should speak with your Doc and get everything checked out, I had a 3 level ACDF in Feb/09 and I still have a large lump on the front of my throat/thyroid area along with swallowing issues, sometimes it can be scary,
    Bunz
    Hi Bunz,

I had followup in I believe March. The numbness has been here since the surgery and yes the doctor knows. I have 2 doctors and they both say it will take time. The incision I am talking about is the small incision in the front from the anterior fusion. It doesnt hurt per say it tingles like the feeling is coming back. I also have an 8 inch incision in the back from the other part of the surgery.
    I never thought of that question about swallowing with no sensation. I am feeling little tingling here and there on my throat, the back of my head, alot of the the areas that are still numb.
    I have been to one of the docs and he says again, its going to take time.
    I hope to God this isnt the feeling for the rest of my life. I had half of my thyroid removed 3 years ago but still have the other half. Im on meds for that too. Thanks for answering. Good luck to you too.
    Saucer.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
    Saucer
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bunz50 View Post
    Bunz
    Hi Bunz,
    Followup to tightness in throat. Went back to Neuro and he thought it was spasms. Had a swallow xray which shows airway clear but test cracker got stuck in the bottom of throat, no where near the airway so they not concerned. I told the E N T no problems after the surgery at all, could swallow never choked, nothing. She then asked me, what has changed since the surgery, I said nothing but on the way home thought the only thing that has changed in the front of my neck C2-C4 are fused now. God I hope this isnt what it's going to feel like forever.
    When this sensation is overwhelming I just try to relax, and let it pass. It's not all the time, and gets worse with anxiety. E N T says because you have muscles in front and they tense up. I hope you are well.
    Take Care,
    Saucer

Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
    Saucer
    (female)

Testing 1234, testing

Closed Thread