It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Atlas subluxation causing head tilt, uneven bite and nausea? What to do???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
    TMJ82
    Veteran
    (female)

TMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB User
    Atlas subluxation causing head tilt, uneven bite and nausea? What to do???

Hello, I was biting harder on the right side due to high dental restoration, until I got a lot of pain in the jaws that eventually got down to my lower back. I noticed that my head became tilted/twisted up and to the right, and I have uneven bite because of that. I also have uneven shoulders and hips, and seems like my face and body does not align anymore. I am wearing the TMJ splint that helps with pain and muscle spasms, but my head is still tilted and I also have nausea like every other day. The dentist says my TMJs are almost healed, so could the atlas subluxation be causing nausea and head tilt?
    What can I do about that? I have been to a regular chiro who did nothing besides cracked my neck and applied TENS. I have read about the NUCCA chiros, but the one closest to me is 90 miles and not in my insurance network, so... I was thinking, is it worth it? Do they really help correct atlas subluxation and make my head straight again? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. I cry when I look at my posture and face, it all looks crooked and my bite is messed up and I don;t know from what side to approach this. Thanks a lot!

P.S. I live in Tampa, FL, so if anyone knows of an NUCCA chiro closer to me - please do let me know, thanks!

Last edited by TMJ82; 06-06-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Atlas subluxation causing head tilt, uneven bite and nausea? What to do???

If you are starting to subluxate at the atlas, you need an MRI to determine of the dens is in trouble. That goes and you end up with an internal decapitation and it can kill you.

Knock off the chiro until you know for sure. I have rheumatoid arthritis in that area and I am so careful and have regular MRI's to watch for erosions of the dens. Internal decapitation can happen very fast and if it happens, you don't know if it can be fixed or who can do it. Rather catch it before it goes so it can be averted.

Get an MRI.

Jenny

Old 06-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Did some more research for you. Your symptoms actually sound a lot more like spastic torticollis...spams of the neck muscles that can cause the exact symptoms you describe...tilted and twisted neck and head.

It is a form of dystonia.

See a neurologist who can try to treat it.

Jenny

PS...the "dens" is the bone that sticks up from C2 into C1 and if it breaks, the 2 vertebrae split apart and you dislocate your neck, possibly fatally. You can also dislocate the bacl of the skull from C1 but it is almost always fatal. Since your head is twisted and tilted now and you aren't dead or on life support, it has to be torticollis and be all muscle related.

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
    TMJ82 (06-07-2011)
    Old 06-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
    TMJ82
    Veteran
    (female)

TMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB User

jennybyc
    thank you very much for your responces! I have seen a neurologist and have an MRI of the head done and an x-ray of the neck, and I also have seen a family practitioner and a spine surgeon, and none of them found a problem. I have looked into torticollis as well, but since none of them pointed that out, I guess it's not it?
    I am sure my problems are 100% muscular. My symptoms started with the dental work and biting harder on one side so my muscles got into spams. I think they have pulled the Atlas sideways that later on have pulled the whole spine into the same twisted position through muscle spasms. It is not that drastic and dramatic, but I can see it and others can if they bother to look.
    Nausea is bothering me but I think this is because muscles are in a mess and might press on some middle ear nerves? Not sure. One day is better than the other and I don't know why.
    I think I need to hold on for now and see if it resolves because my bite is now even (well, sort of - in comparison to what was before the splint) and my face and jaw feel very relaxed. My head is still tilted but horrible muscle spasms are now seem to be gone. I hope bodily muscles relax too, and everything gradually returns to normal. Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. Before I got this muscular nightmare, I did not know how bad it could get...

Last edited by TMJ82; 06-07-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
    jennybyc
    Inactive

You can't pull the atlas sideways. It is held in place by the dens bone. If it was pulled sideways, you'd have a dislocated head/neck and be dead. Picture a donut with the hole in the center...this is the atlas bone. It sits on the axis, or C2. It is a regular vertebra but has this bone sticking up in the top middle and the atlas fits onto it. To have this displaced, means breaking the bone on top of C2 and then your entire head would slide off the top of your neck...and kill you. And having the skull slip off the atlas is even more dramatic.

The reason I know this hasn't happened is that you are still alive. You have 2 major arteries to the brain that go up through C6 to C1 and into the back of the brain. You dislocate one of these bones, and you rip the arteries. I know...I slightly dislocated C3,4,5,6 and7. I almost died.

But you are correct in that this is all muscle. Tell your TMJ doc and see if they can stop the spasms that have probably done this. Ask about spasmotic torticollis. A lot of docs don't know about it as it's rare and a form of dystonia and you may be in the early phase of it.

But you have not slipped off your atlas bone nor has it slipped off the axis. Both are extremely dramatic injuries and usually fatal.

As someone who has her neck fused from C3 to T1, I know a lot of neck anatomy...I have to. I have to watch every move I make to make sure I don't fracture or dislocate anything more. It would be fatal for me. And now with rheumatoid arthritis, I have to have annual MRI's to watch for bone erosions in that dens bone. If they start, they will have no choice but to fuse my head to my neck and I will never be able to move my head and neck again.

That is what happens when you dislocate or slide on the atlas....you get your head fused to your neck, if you survive the dislocation.

Jenny

Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
    TMJ82
    Veteran
    (female)

jennybyc, wow, with all the unfortunate experience you have, I am sure you are so knowledgeable about this. I wish your neck does not give you any more problems, and thanks for responding!
    I know for sure that my head got rotated to the right, and took the whole spinal cord, hips and ribcage with it (because, as you said, it cannot separate or I would have been dead). This rotation is slight, but it caused me TREMENDOUS pain. When the ribcage rotated, it felt like my torso was all biten up very harshly. It does not cause me any more troubles though. So I agree that muscular spasms have caused that. This is not like my head have moved on the vertebral column (or I would have been dead for sure), rather the whole skeleton went into a very slight rotation as a unit. I guess many people have this and just don;t know, but for me it all developed so fast that I know because of pain and observing drastic changes to my posture. I am very fit and healthy othervise, I have never been in pain before (besides when I was in labor), so that also alerted me. When I was examined by the spinal surgeon, he told me that slight rotation is normal and nobody is perfect, but I know it was not like that before and I want my normal posture back! Well, let's hope it will all calm down as muscles relax... Until that time, it'll bug and bug me... :-(

Old 06-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
    paupoor
    (male)

paupoor HB User

I've read this thread, looking for answers for myself. Thought I'd share what I've experienced. Boxes fell on my head in Dec 2009 when I was unloading a shipping container at my workplace, so I'm under Workman Comp care. I'm now 18 months into care and am starting to despair - most of the despair is related to the glacial pace the WC insurance co. moves. I learned about Upper Cervical Chiro from an acquaintance who had gotten that kind of treatment for radiculopathy. My immediate symptoms when the boxes fell were dizziness and nausea. A CT scan at the ER showed nothing broken, but revealed stenosis in C4,5,6 and cervical lordosis. In the week following the accident, I began to experience radiculopathy in both arms, a muscle spasm in my left scapular muscle, and a sensation of "fullness" on the left side of my cervical vertebrae. In 9 months of treatment, nothing the WC doc prescribed did anything to relieve those symptoms (physical therapy, traditional chiropractic). The WC doctor finally referred me for upper cervical chiro. The very first adjustment ended the muscle spasm...two adjustments later the radiculopathy and sense of 'fullness' was resolved. The dizziness and vertigo still persist, but have been lessened with cervical traction. By the time I finally got to see the upper cervical chiro, I was about ready to throw in the towel and search for a quick and painless way to die. Those first few upper cervical adjustments gave me hope and brightened my outlook. It may not be readily apparent by my rambling, but I cannot say enough nice things about how wonderful I think upper cervical is. The chiropractor will do their own series of x-rays, and make adjustments based on measurements taken from those films. The adjustments are very precise and controlled, and absolutely pain-free - no dramatic twisting and cracking :-) I drive 200 miles round-trip for the treatments - insurance reimburses me mileage and pays for the treatments. If you can stand the drive, and can afford the treatment, I'd highly recommend trying it.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
    TMJ82
    Veteran
    (female)

paupoor

I am glad to hear the upper cervical chiro helped you! Can you recollect, was it the NCCU chiro and what technique did they use?
    Unfortunately, none of the upper cervical chiros in my area are in the network, so I will have to pay out of pocket and wait months for a bogus reimbursement. I have already payed for several visits to a regular chiro that was useless, and the craniopath that was just a joke. Not only he did not help and lied that he did (he said, my shoulders and hips have leveled - NO CHANGE whatsoever!), but insisted I have to get rid of my TMJ splint - the only thing that was really helpful so far! This all costed me big $$$ and I am not at all rich. Needdless to say, I am hesitant to spend even more $ on the upper cervical.
    So I am taking the wait and see approach now. My pains lessened with the splint so I am not struggling that much anymore. But in future, I will for sure consider the upper cervical chiro if things do not improve or get worse. Again, thanks for your input!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
    walkingtallinAK
    (female)

walkingtallinAK HB User

Hi, I stumbled into your post while browsing "atlas bone" stuff. I joined just so that I could say that NUCCA (National Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association) doctors are awsome and yes, your atlas bone can be rotated/slipped and cause many problems immediately or over time. I just started seeing a NUCCA doctor. My atlas bone was rotated almost 3 degrees and also slipped up on the right. I am not dead, but have had progressive problems over the last decade that no other doctor was able to address. The NUCCA doctor takes very precise X-rays (digital) and can gently adjust the atlas and /or axis bone back in to place. It has helped both my scoliosis and my TMJ. Please go see a NUCCA doctor. I drive 360 miles every two weeks to see my doctor and he is worth it!!!!! Don't put it off.

If your atlas is out of place you will be so glad you went.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-12-2011 at 12:35 AM.

Closed Thread