It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MRI: Straightening of Cervical spine suggestive to muscular spasm

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2011, 04:03 AM   #1
    worriedmom2011
    (female)

worriedmom2011 HB User
    Smile MRI: Straightening of Cervical spine suggestive to muscular spasm

Hi,

I'am a worried mom of a 14 year old girl who experienced a lower back pain for almost 1 year, from the onset, the pain was tolerable her complain was not frequent. Starting 2011 she frequently complains for her lower back pain, specially for prolong walking, standing and sitting. Her xray finding are all normal, that is why she undergo MRI: Straightening of Cervical spine suggestive to muscular spasm. What is that all about? How serious is it? I've also heard about Potts disease, is there any relevance about it?

Regards,

Worriedmom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: MRI: Straightening of Cervical spine suggestive to muscular spasm

Pott's Disease is TB of the bone. It would have shown up in the MRI. that is why they do it....it shows things like bone infections. So don't worry about it.

I remember my daughter having problems with muscle spasms in her neck at about that same age. Teenage girls get stressed from all sorts of things and in my daughter's case, it gave her spams in her neck that caused a lot of pain. Muscle relaxers really helped her.

And yes, muscle spasms can pull the vertebrae into a more straightened position and that hurts but once the spasms stop, the neck bones will relax and go back into their regular position which is slightly curved inward.

What has the doctor advised you do?

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
    worriedmom2011 (06-15-2011)
    Old 06-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I've struggled with muscle spasms in my neck and lower back for years. And yes, the neck spasms straighten my cervical spine too much.

The most helpful thing I've found is regular gentle stretching and yoga. The doctor may provide a list of suggested exercises, or may send her to a physical therapist to learn them.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
    worriedmom2011 (06-15-2011)
    Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
    worriedmom2011
    (female)

worriedmom2011 HB User

Hi jen,

The initial diagnosis of the Doctor is potts, bec of the sysmptoms of lower back pain, thats why he wanted to have an MRI to make sure about it, good thing that the result of MRI is not Potts, tomorrow we have an appointment with the dr., hopefully we can start some medication or theraphy, thank you

Old 06-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Perhaps they"ll recommend physical therapy and/or massage to help with the back spasms.

Closed Thread