It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Would Ozone Discolysis help? (For considerably large L5-S1 disc herniation)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
    Chan160
    (male)

Chan160 HB User
    Question Would Ozone Discolysis help? (For considerably large L5-S1 disc herniation)

Hello All,

I am 28 years old male and have a considerably large L5-S1 herniation. I do not have much pain when at home. Can easily walk around and sit without pain when at home. However when I am sitting I have some burning sensation in right thigh and slight numbness in right feet.

However, when I walk say about 0.5 to 1 km I start getting sharp pain in right hamstring and right hip. It's somewhat bearable but it's there.

No pain when at home but pain after walking for long. Does this signify something?

My doctor suggested that I should take Ozone injections (4 injections spread over a period of 8 months) which according to him will help decompress the herniated disc and ease the pressure off the nerve. I have been undergoing physiotherapy (IFT + SWD) and exercises from past 15 days and there is not much improvement in my situation (no pain at home but develop pain after walking).

Has anybody got success/relief with Ozone Discolysis? How safe is it?

Any suggestions/personal experiences would be of great help.

BIT OF HISTORY OF MY PREVIOUS EPISODES WITH DISC HERNIATION
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

I had my first occurence in Jan 2010. Pain reduced within a week with Physiotherapy (IFT + SWD). Without exercises.

In March 2010, it happened again as I lifted around 20kgs of weight. (thinking that I was back to normal again as I was not having any pain symptoms then). Again cured with Physiotherapy (IFT + SWD). Without exercises.

Over the year I put on 8 kilos of weight (from 68kg then to 74kg now). And it has happened again in June 2011. I am doing exercises also this time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Would Ozone Discolysis help? (For considerably large L5-S1 disc herniation)

I had to do some research as I had never heard of ozone discolysis. Needless to say, it is extremely uncommon where I live (U.S.). I could find one doctor in the U.S. who does this procedure. It was developed in Italy and research there shows it to be equally effective as having a discectomy.

If you decide to go ahead with this treatment, please let us know how it works out for you.

As with any procedure, be sure your doctor is well-trained in this technique and has done it many times before.

The following user gives a hug of support to teteri66:
    Chan160 (06-26-2011)
    Old 06-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
    Chan160
    (male)

Chan160 HB User

Thank you for the reply.

Even I did a lot of research on the internet about Ozone discolysis and have only read positive things about it. Practitioners claim it to be as good as discectomy if not better with a success rate of almost 90%.

But I am a bit skeptical because it is a relatively new science and not many doctors in the world do it. (Maybe spine surgeons do not support it because they are from a conventional school of thought. And this is a research revelation yet unproven(?)). Here in India, there have been a very few practitioners of it in major cities of late.

However, I cannot find real patient testimonials/experiences on the internet who have undergone Ozone treatment.

If I undergo this treatment, I would be more than happy to share my experience with you all.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

From what I read about it, it doesn't sound like the ozone discolysis would do any harm. Perhaps it won't have long lasting results but it isn't like having a surgery that is ineffective, and then having to have a surgical revision.

The reason it is not heard of in the U.S. is because the FDA has not approved the use of ozone for this purpose. They are slow to give any approval on techniques that are "natural therapies." Actually it isn't a case of being "slow." They have done everything in their power to suppress the use of ozone therapy in general.

It has been used for a variety of diseases since 1959 in Germany and for over 40 years in Russia.

I think it might be worth trying...injecting a disc carries a minimal risk. Just be sure your doctor has done this procedure many times. You do not want to be his guinea pig!

Closed Thread

Tags
    herniated disc, l5-s1