It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Reversal of cervical lordosis with hand numbness and pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
    SK8ninja
    (female)

SK8ninja HB User
    Reversal of cervical lordosis with hand numbness and pain

Greetings,

Thought I would ask if any one has any ideas for the relief of my symptoms.
    A way to sleep comfortably instead of sitting up?

I have no idea how I did it, but my cervical spine is backwards and my back is all messed up with a host of bulging, spasms and the like. My sports doctor/chiropractor is concerned that I also have crazy numbness in my left thumb, index and middle finger, but feels confident it is stabilized to getting to better (at a barely perceptible snails pace)

I can not sleep lying down, on my right or left side. It hurts my arm a great deal to do so. Worse than just sitting. I really can't do anything with out pain. I am 27 years old and very healthy otherwise. Granted I skateboard, do martial arts, play soccer etc....but I had no "point of injury"...probably alot of them.

Its weird for me, all I can I do is sit here on this computer. I can't even really take a walk. I have not slept more than 4 hours for over a week. Even sitting here it hurts. I have no Medical Insurance (no job I have had offered this, and I have had some suit and tie even and a Degree...WTH America get with it!) So basically you guys seem like such a nice bunch on this board, I was wondering if anyone had any "ideas" for sleeping. Or any "not advice" at all!

Thanks.
    P.s. Speaking of double speak....if anyone has any idea's on how to bring down the insurance companies in general, I am gleefully awaiting our reply.(;

Last edited by SK8ninja; 06-29-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
    dawn613
    (female)

dawn613 HB User
    Re: Reversal of cervical lordosis with hand numbness and pain

I have the same problem. Mine started with neck pain, then shoulder pain and then arm pain with frequent tightening of muscles with tingling and numbness down arm into thumb, index and middle finger. I had MRI taken and have cervical canal stenosis with neural foraminal narrowing which means my spinal canal is narrowing and pinching the nerves causing me great pain. Also have 4 disc bulges. Going to pain doctor next month and going to try an epidural injection and see if that brings relief. My doctor had reviewed the MRI and basically said it would not get better only worse as I have a degenerative problem.....looks like I will be seeing neurosurgeon soon.
    Some sites recommend ANSAIDS, anti inflammatories, steroid injections, massage....etc.
    I currently lie somewhat towards my right side as sleeping on back is very hard for me and use a squishy beenie pillow under neck - doctor has also given me something to help me sleep. You might want to try a nightime pain reliever....such as Motrin PM and see if that helps you....it helped me for awhile. Worth a shot good luck to you.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Sk8ninja....are there any large medical centers around you that have clinics for people with no insurance? Most large hospitals have them as do medical centers associated with medical schools......because you really need a spine surgeon. Your neck keeps going backwards and soon you won't be able to hold your head up and will be in great danger of losing complete use of those fingers that are now numb...I'm talking paralysis.

That numbness means you have compromised the blood flow to the nerve that serves that arm. If you compromise it long enough, it dies and you lose the use of the muscles that are served by that nerve and you not only have numb fingers/thumb, but no use of the muscles from your neck on down. I had cervical kyphosis and lost the use of my left side(especially my arm) and even with major aggressive surgery, never got all the use of my arm back.

You can get this fixed if you find a clinic. My own spine doc does one every Monday in Boston so I know they do exist just about everywhere. Your sports doc can find you one, I'm sure. You need an MRI and probably surgery.

Without that much info...what is wrong other than "your neck is going backwards(but WHY) we can't really help. I've had your problems and had it fixed but I still sleep on a special pillow for side sleepers...keeps my neck straight with my spine. But I know what is wrong and why that helps me......it could hurt your neck....I don't know.

Cervical kyphosis is a serious problem that usually needs surgery to get it back to the normal lordotic curve. At 27 you need to get some serious neurosurgical or orthopedic help or you'll be a mess when you get to be my age.

Jenny

Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
    SK8ninja
    (female)

SK8ninja HB User

Thanks Dawn613 and jennybyc for all the info.
    Here's the story. Hope it helps people in my predicament.

So for sleep, I finally tied my head with a scarf to one of those tall back Ikea Chairs. No kidding. At first I was so exhausted and happy to not hold up my head or arms (resting on arm rest) I knocked out for like 12 hours. I got a cervical brace to add to this which also helped.
    And yes, the finger numbing was getting scary(what jenny was saying had came to mind and freaked me out pretty good as I am into bio science and had an inkling) and the arm pain was maddening.

Every clinic I went to was a no go, and the lowest I got quoted was about 100,000 for surgery. One orthopedic surgeon was like, you should get this done out of the country etc. Ummm yeah kinda close to impossible.
    Frustrated and not able to do most things I do for work I finally went to this PT/DC.
    I eventually was convinced to go on 800 ml of ibuprofen 3 times a day for a week and went crazy with the super cold ice packs. My PT started using this tape and doing adjustments which helped a little. She gave me crazy stretches and exercises and a steady diet of Montgomery cherries,(juice and dried) as I weened myself off the ibuprofen. This was good but I still could not sleep horizontal what so ever, but the pain was at least going down. Improvement. Good sign.

So I finally got to my hometown and went to the so called miracle working family chiropractor I had never needed to use and within weeks he got my upper spine straight and he is currently getting my curve back. Due to my being part of the fam he did weird star trek laser things for free and what not. Normal for this guy for the first time patient in real pain is a three hour+ investigative appointment. Found out I had this wing bone that was aggravating things and my body had created bone like stuff to hold my head in such an awkward position making the situation worse and the herniation could not get a chance to heal with all that weight. Among other things. He explained it all very well and admitted it was one of the worst he had seen. I was like so " I am screwed?" I mean this guy will defiantly known for being like, "nope this is out of my sphere" But he firmly said, "no way, I can fix this."
    OK........

Sooooo...my family is right on. After five days of being home and three appointments I was able to sleep on my back for the first time since my injury. I was so happy! The numbness was gone in two weeks. Granted the exercises and general taking care of myself (ice, healthy food etc) was like being in boot camp but I am even cleared to skateboard again. I am now a big fan of a really good chiropractor. Good Luck!

Closed Thread