It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 7 months post-ACDF car accident

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
    binx
    (female)

binx HB User
    7 months post-ACDF car accident

hello,

i haven't been on the board for quite a while because i have healed quite nicely from my c5-c6 ACDF in december. i am still managing the DVT complication, and undiagnosed autoimmune disease which is very challenging, but my neck has given me little to no trouble since my 6-week appointment.

that is until yesterday when we got rear-ended by a huge pickup truck that didn't stop in time and we got pushed into the other huge pickup truck in front of us. my husband was driving our little VW. i was in the passenger seat and my baby girl was in the back. thank the heavens above that they are both okay.

i am now in a lot of pain and i am so, so, so sad about it. i could puke.

i called my neurosurgeon and they said to go to my primary care first for evaluation, then get referred back to him if need be. i pray to every power that may be that it's just muscle tension and there hasn't been any compromise of the surgical site or the surrounding discs. i already have DDD throughout my entire spine and other bulges in my c- and t-spine.

i am so sad.

just had to vent here in the hopes of getting some support.

i hope everyone here is doing okay.

blessings to you all,
    binx

The following user gives a hug of support to binx:
    mssxyq (09-17-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
    Re: 7 months post-ACDF car accident

hey binx, how are you? remember me? Sounds like another whiplash.
    I hope it is only cervical strain and nothing else. Do not forget to do another MRI or CT.

Next time, get another car. I have read that small cars will not protect you from whiplash injuries. There will be next time, you gonna be ok. But honestly, there is a need for a bigger car with crash resistance especially for whiplash.

I do not let anybody drive me.

Let me know how you doing.

Last edited by nochange; 07-13-2011 at 08:01 AM.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Binx....

I'm so sorry you were hit. That is my biggest fear. My neck aches for you.

Hopefully it is just muscles. When my son was badly rear-ended, the muscles spasms were terrible and took a good 6-8 weeks to resolve with PT and muscle relaxants. Any kind of tears in the muscle fibers can take 6-8 months to fully heal. Time to put on a soft collar and give the muscles a break.

I remember my first big fall after my surgeries and how scared I was of re-injury. I tripped over a hose in my hillside garden and stumbled down the garden and fell flat on my face so hard, my face bounced off the ground. Ended up in the ER with black eyes and a swollen, purple face but my neck was fine. Muscles hurt but the fusion was fine. Found out just how much the fusion could take that day.

See your doc and make sure the fusion is okay with x-rays, or a CT or MRI. But hopefully, everything is fine and when the muscles heal and relax, you'll be back to normal.

gentle hugs.............Jenny

Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
    binx
    (female)

binx HB User

dear nochange and jenny~

thank you for your replies, and of course i remember you, nochange! the two of you, among some of the other very kind board members, talked me through my year+ long decision making process to have my surgery in the first place, and i am eternally grateful.

up until monday, i have had no issues with my neck since about 2 months after my procedure. my bone was fusing even a bit ahead of schedule and i had little to no neck-related pain. that aspect of my life was a success story which was an incredible relief. i had such fear surrounding the procedure, but knowing my cord is no longer severely impinged has been a great comfort.

after the post-surgical DVT, i was diagnosed with 2 different genetic coagulation disorders, though, and i may be on coumadin for life. my undiagnosed autoimmune disorder is keeping me down for the count as well, and i pray it can be identified and treated one of these days so i can count that as one of my successes as well.

i hope you are both right and my current pain is just muscular, but i am definitely going to have at least an x-ray if not a follow-up MRI to make sure things didn't get shifted around from the impact. i am going to the doctor today and have to funnel everything through the other guy's insurance which is a pain in the neck (PUN intended).

i will keep you posted. in the mean time, i hope you are both doing as well as possible and thank you for your kind support, as always.

blessings to you,
    binx

Last edited by binx; 07-14-2011 at 07:35 AM.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
    frenchfri1003
    (female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User

How are you feeling? Is the whiplash that you had getting better? I wonder how long it will last. I want to get back to where I was 8 months post op. I could have written your post only I was 8 months out of a 2 level when I was rear ended. Thankfully I was the only one in the car and the car in front of me had just turned. It has been 2 weeks since my accidents. I had x rays right after it happened at the OSS office. My plate and screws seem to be intact. Significant whiplash.

I am still concerned. Muscle spasms not as bad but still there. If I lift anything or do too much they come back and let me know. My ROM has decreased tremendously and there is so much crunching when I turn my neck. OSS said not too worry about the crunching but it goes right through me like nails on a chalkboard. I go back on Wed. but would love to go back on Monday if they have room for me. I am also going to request an MRI. I want to know what is going on with the soft tissue. Also having some issues with swallowing, feeling like there is a lump in my throat and or narrowing. It could be in my head or just inflammation in general making it feel bad. Who knows. After all I have been through I think I get nervous with everything I feel. I am keeping a journal of how I feel and how it impacts my life. Just in case I need it for a lawyer. Hope everyone is feeling as well as they can. When shopping with a girlfriend as a pick me up. Bought 2 outfits. Helped a bit. Was very tired after shopping. Came home to take a nap.

Closed Thread