It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Forward neck posture - chronic head pressure? please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
    kelsifyer
    Inactive
    (male)

kelsifyer HB User
    Forward neck posture - chronic head pressure? please help

Hi, im not sure if this is the correct place to post this. I'd really appreciate any insight you can provide.

I'm 23, and I have worked at a computer desk for almost 2 years. the past year i have had a chronic pressure in the back of my head and neck. I guess it feels like a tension headache but the pressure will NEVER go away. It is sometimes better in the morning for a few minutes but thats it.

Recently I was told by a doc that i have forward head posture and that with rehab and a conscientious effort to focus on perfect posture that it would resolve.

I'm questioning whether or not my posture could lead to chronic/constant pressure in my head? I would expect maybe some neck pain/back pain, but it is never pain, just pressure.

Has anyone experienced this? Thanks so much for reading

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Forward neck posture - chronic head pressure? please help

Your neck normally has an inward curve(called lordosis). As we age, the neck slowly but surely goes straighter and straighter and eventually can end up with an outward curve(kyphosis). It can be very painful. I'm sure you've seen elderly people who are bent over with their heads hanging down.

For some, that process can be sped up. Bad posture can be one cause as can herniated disks from injury or arthritis. When you spend all of your time leaning over a computer screen, you strain the neck muscles. Most neck pain(and back pain) comes from muscles that are constantly in spasm.

I've give physical therapy a try and see if you can lose the pain by stopping the muscle spasms. Even wearing a soft neck collar can hold your head up and help to stop the spasms by giving the muscles a rest. You can buy one at any drugstore. The collar holds up your head instead of the muscles...that is why it helps. But PT would work at stopping the muscle spasms. Then you need to adjust the height of your monitor and sit up really straight.

My daughter works on a computer all day and has the same problem. She recently bought a portable neck massager and uses it while she works. Helps to stop the spasms.

But if you keep holding your head the way you currently do, you are eventually looking at the bones also going into a kyphotic curve and that is only correctable by surgery...and trust me, you don't want that. I have a nice lordotic curve permanently in my neck thanks to 2 long titanium rods and a bunch of titanium screws that hold it that way. Posture is important.

Jenny(fused C3 to T1)

Old 07-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

I worked with computer all my life and never had pressure till I had this severe whiplash.
    I had pressure and pain.

If it continues....do an MRI.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
    Kasey443
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

Yes, I have experienced this for years. You do not have to have pain when the problem is in the muscles in the neck and shoulders. The main symptom is head pressure. Many doctors miss this as the cause. Physical therapy, called counter strain, is gentle and worked wonders on me for this. I was sent by my ortho. for this. It is not excercises, The therapist would position me in a way to release the tension, hold me there, untill it went away. It only took a few sessions.

Closed Thread