It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervical Spinal Stenosis measurment

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
    bob404
    Inactive
    (male)

bob404 HB User
    Cervical Spinal Stenosis measurment

Hello-
    I've seen a lot of people post MRI results that rate their cervical spinal stenosis as severe or mild. I've searched the internet to try to find a chart that help distinguish severe and mild but cannot.

I don't have any major symptoms but my MRI showed a cervical spinal stenosis measuring 6.7mm. Is that mild or severe? The doctor said I was born with this.
    Has anyone had a measurement similar to this and what did they doctor suggest? Did you have any symptoms?

My doctor suggested no surgery for now (since my discomfort is minor) but also suggests annual monitoring. He said I need to be careful because I am at risk of becoming paralyzed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Cervical Spinal Stenosis measurment

More information needed.

What are your symptoms?

Is the 6.7 the measurement of the spinal CANAL (which should ideally be around 18) or the spinal CORD (which should ideally be maybe 10)?

While you may have been born with a narrow spinal canal (cervical spinal stenosis), that usually isn't a problem until, with time, things begin to intrude into the canal, impacting the cord because the cord doesn't have free space around it. These things can be disks coming from in front, swollen ligaments coming from behind, or osteophytes coming from anywhere. What, exactly, is the wording on your MRI radiologist's report?

As for "annual checkups", I would not be NEARLY so cavalier. You seem to have caught it early, but you will lose that benefit if you don't keep on top of the situation.

Closed Thread