It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• CT Myelogram Report - Not best news???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
    yakkwak
    (female)

yakkwak HB User
    CT Myelogram Report - Not best news???

Hi, just picked up my newest CT myelogram report to take to all my docs. I'm paraphrasing the report and hope someone can help me interpret (I know I can't ask for diagnoses or advisement) but here goes:
    Findings: post-op change following interbody fusion at L5-S1. Mature osseus fusion of bone graft at L5-S1 with anterior osseious fusion as well; incomplete fusion of psoterior verbebral bodies at this level. Anterior fusion hardware is transversing the L5S1 disk space. Anatomic alignmetn & cuvature is maintained. No acute fracture, subluxation, or destructive osseous lesion. Conus medullaris terminates at L1. Cauda equina nerve roots are unremarkable.
    L2-L3: broad-based disk bulge w/out spinal canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.
    L3-L4: small circumferential disk bulge w/mild facet arthropathy. Canal and neural foramina remain patent.
    L4-L5: small circumferential disk bulge w/bilateral facet arthropathy & minimal ligamentum flavum thickening. Mild left neural foraminal narrowing present. Rt. neural foramen & spinal canal remain patent.
    L5-S1: post-operative changes are present, as above. Spinal canal & neural foramina remain patent.
    Impression:
    1. Post-surgical changes at L5-S1, as above w/mature osseous fusion at bone graft site & involving anterior vertegral bodies;
    2. Mild multi-level degenerative disk disease & facet arthropathy as above w/resultant mild left neural foraminal narrowing at L4-L5. No significant spinal canal stenosis or Rt. foraminal narrowing throughout the lumbar spine identified.

A quick call to assistant of the surgeon who did my anterior-lumbar interbody fusion last year at L5-S1: she said that generally, an incomplete fusion means additional surgery. Anyone have input on that???
    ** Any interpretation appreciated!!!!!!!! I don't want to wait the weekend without any more input. Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
    krazy2day
    (female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User
    Re: CT Myelogram Report - Not best news???

Was your fusion recent?

Most of that is foreign to me but L4-L5 isn't doing so hot. Foraminal narrowing leaves less and less room for nerves to pass thru.. I had a spondylolisthesis (where part of the spine slips backward) and though it said 'mild foraminal narrowing' I had my L5-S1 fusion and now have very little pain in the Lower Lumbar. Before, it was unbearable.. almost debilitating. I'm sure they'll eventually want to do something with that level if you continue to have pain and the space continues to get smaller.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
    yakkwak
    (female)

yakkwak HB User

Thanks for the reply. My fusion at L5-S1 was done last August. I'm glad your fusion was helpful. After I healed from the surgery it felt better for a while. Then the pain and numbness returned. I wonder if this is what they call adjacent disk disease where the a fusion puts strain on adjacent disks making them eventually go bad. Wish they were able to fix it at the same time they put in my pain pump. Thanks again

Old 08-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #4
    krazy2day
    (female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User

I have heard of that. My surgeon told me that was one of the bad things about being fused (puts more stress on adjacet joints/vertebra). I thought your report sounded as if the graft took, except maybe in the back (posterially) but since this wasn't listed in the Impression (where I 'think' they highlight the important parts of the report) it may not be a big issue... yet. Again, I am guessing.

Degenerative disk disease (I have that too) usually gets worse with time despite fusion. I'm sure a fusion may complicate it as mentioned above (adjacent stress). The facet athropy is like arthritis so that too probably gets worse with time. I sure hope you are being easy on yourself. What ever you do, Don't Twist. And the stronger you can keep your core, the better off you will be. Have them show you some core strengthening exercises. It will also help you with recovery if you have to have another surgery.

Closed Thread