It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervical MRI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
    Bellasmom1
    (female)

Bellasmom1 HB User
    Cervical MRI

Hello I was wondewring if anybody could tell me what a cervical MRI could show if something was wrong?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Cervical MRI

Well, it examines the bones and soft tissues of your neck. It should be able to identify arthritis, some disc problems, muscle or ligament tear, etc. Sometimes problems are missed, but usually it works pretty well.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
    Bellasmom1
    (female)

Bellasmom1 HB User

thank you for the response I am really hoping it shows something because I have been ill for 6 months now and I think this is my last resort. Do you know of any issues they could find that would cause an off-balance/dizziness symptom??

Old 07-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

There are a variety of issues that can cause dizziness and balance issues. Have you been through a battery of tests with your PCP or internist?

There are basically three types of dizziness: vertigo which is usually described as spinning, either you yourself, or the world is spinning around you; faintness, a feeling of being light-headed, and a loss of balance, feeling uncomfortable on your feet, unsteady, like you might tip over.

Dizziness can be caused by certain medications including some anti-seizure drugs used to control "nerve" pain (like Lyrica and Neurontin).

It can be a problem with blood flow such as in TIA and stroke, blood pressure issues, arterioschlerosis, etc...things that keep the usual blood supply from getting to the brain.

It can come from problems with the inner ear, such as Meniere's disease, motion sickness, and ear infections.

There there are just a bunch of other things that don't fit into any category like migraine, anemia, concussions, some emotional issues like panic attack,
    GAD, etc.

I know there are some lumbar issues involving nerve compression that can lead to balance issues...but not dizziness. I would think a pinched cervical nerve could cause dizziness, but don't know for sure.

Hope you can get some answers soon.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
    james079
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bellasmom1 View Post
    thank you for the response I am really hoping it shows something because I have been ill for 6 months now and I think this is my last resort. Do you know of any issues they could find that would cause an off-balance/dizziness symptom??
    "I think this is my last resort", so what treatment have you had so far, and what helped most?
    James

Old 07-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
    minstrel2
    (female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User

spinal cord compression in the cervical area can cause balance problems. I still have them due to too long a time before I was diagnosed.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
    Bellasmom1
    (female)

Bellasmom1 HB User

Tetonteri66- I have been through a bunch of tests( EKG, Holter heart monitor, echocardiogram, VNG, hearing test, allergy test, MRI of brain, catscan of brain and chest etc..) Everything came back normal. The only thing i did recently find out a cleanin with the dentist is that I do have tmj. And the type of vertigo I have is the kind you stated "and a loss of balance, feeling uncomfortable on your feet, unsteady, like you might tip over." I have seen a neurologist, ENT, optimologist, cardiologist and even a psychiatrist. I am lost at this point because they all say you are fine well no they are wrong because i know how horrible I feel everyday of my life for the past 6 months. My neurologist is doing a cervical mri to rule that out and he also recommended getting a second opinion from an ent because he really feels it is something with my ears. And advice is helpful thank you!!

James079- In the beginning when they thought i did have the crystals in my inner ears I ahve PT and she said you absolutely do not have this. She even called me her myster patatient LOL. They tried me on meclizine which did nothing but make me tired. Also tried a patch you wear behing your ear called transdermal Scop which is for motion sickness, that also did not help. Besides from that their has been no other treatment because they can not find anything.

Minstrel2- So you do have problems in your neck that actually caused balance problems? How did they diagnose this? And what symptoms did you have? What kind of balance issues? Sorry to be nosey but it seems like you have some good information for me. Your story would be great to hear!!

Old 07-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
    minstrel2
    (female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User

Bellasmom, I had balance problems from two issues. First I had lumbar stenosis which cause an unsteady gait and weak left leg, and that caused a fall which injured my vertebrae in my lower neck, and the balance just got worse. Since, I had no pain when I hit my neck, I failed to realize how much I had actually been injured until my symptoms kept getting worse, and I finally had a cervical mri which showed the damage. My spinal cord was compressed and actually bruised, which means that some of the spinal cord tracts were damaged. I had surgery to stabilize my spine and I have regained some ability to walk better, though probably have permanent nerve damage. I must be very careful when I walk, can't start or stop quickly, and especially on uneven or slanted surfaces, so I use a cane sometimes.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
    Bellasmom1
    (female)

Bellasmom1 HB User

Wow so it is true that cervical issues can cause this balance thing. I am not so sure that is what is wrong with me because I never had any injuries to my neck except that it gets stiff and sore everyday. I am hoping the mri shows something so I can finally get some relief. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Although I am new and still learning, my doctor told me that my vertigo was likely from cervical spine issues too. The vagus nerve is often irritated, which bothers the ears and can cause the vertigo and also can cause ear ringing, which I have non-stop. I have been doing neck physical therapy exercises, but my doctor told me that the balance and ear ringing can often be the last symptoms to go away due to the long length of the vagus nerve. I didn't have an MRI done, but they easily determined that I had a bulging disc through a lengthy exam. If they were not sure, I probably would have had the MRI recommended to me. Also, it's possible that something very small in size might still not show up on the MRI, like certain nerve issues. I've heard some people with occipital neuralgia say that the MRI's didn't pick up anything for them.

Closed Thread