It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Surgery for Neck pain only?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
    yeah me
    (male)

yeah me HB User
    Surgery for Neck pain only?

My only symptom is neck pain at collar level sometimes on right side sometimes on left.I have tried every treatment over the last 4 yrs except surgery.My surgeon wants to do an Anterior cervical discectomy with fusion or Prestige mechanical disk replacement at at least 1 maybe 2 levels.My MRI shows foraminal stenosis and osteophytes at C-3C-4 and C-5C-6.He says a posterior cervical disectomy(Foraminotomy)would not help because I don't have arm pain or numbness and my only symptom is neck pain .I'm currently being scheduled for a discogram to determine what level is causing pain.Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
    Re: Surgery for Neck pain only?

wait. have you tried decompression therapy, the new mcu machine and/or mckenzie method?

P.S forgot to mention, those above only to be done by a physical therpist.

Last edited by nochange; 08-03-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #3
    yeah me
    (male)

yeah me HB User

To no change:
    Thanks for responding.Yes I have tried decompression with A chiropractor with no relief at all.Please if anyone else can help with advice or input I would appreciate it.I did not have time with my original post to give actual findings of my most recent MRI report so here they are.

MRI CERVICAL WITHOUT CONTRAST.

There is grade I retrolisthesis at C3 relative to C4.
    T2 hyperintense foci are noted within the pons likely to reflect microvascular ischemic changes but incompletely imaged om this exam.
    The brainstem and posterior fossa are unremarkable.There is no cerebellar tonsillar ectopia.
    There is mucosal disease at the maxillary sinus.

The verterbral body heights and signal are normal.

C1-2: The atlantodens articulation is within normal limits.There is no facet arthropathy.The central canal and neural foramina are with no cord inpingement.
    C2-3:A concentric disc bulge with a posterior annular tear is identfied.There is mild facet arthropathy and mild effacement of the ventral CSF.
    C-3-4:A disc osteophyte complex and facet arthropathy contributes to moderate left foraminal stenosis and mild-to-moderate right foraminal stenosis.
    C-4-5:A concentric disc bulge with a 2 mm posterior disc protrusion is seen effacing the ventral CSF.
    C-5-6:A concentric disc bulge and facet arthropathy is seen.There is a 4 mm posterior midline to left paracentral disc protrusion contributing to moderate central canal stenosis.There is moderate-to-severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
    C-6-7:A concentric disc bulge is seen without disc herniation or stenosis.
    C-7-T1:The intervertebral disc is normal in height and signal.There is no spondylosis,facet arthropathy,or uncovertebral joint arthrosis.The central canal and neural foramina are normal with no cord or radicular inpingement.
    The cervical cord is normal in siginal and morphology.
    The soft tissue of the neck are normal.
    Thanks again to anyone in advance.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:28 AM   #4
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

yeahme. Do you also suffer from stiff neck 24/7 or it comes and go?
    Can you turn your head without suffering from neck pain?

I also have bulging disks just like you. I was told by the surgeon I am not for surgery cause they do surgeries only with herniated disks.

When they do the discogram they can tell exactly the cause of the pain. Then you can decide. Nothing helped me too. But I want to ask the physical therapist to try the mckenzie method on me.

You should ask your physical therapist about the mcu=multi cervical unit. You have nothing to lose. At least you know you try everything.

What happened to you? was it a whiplash?

Last edited by nochange; 08-03-2011 at 05:31 AM.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
    yeah me
    (male)

yeah me HB User

nochange-Thanks again for input.No don't get stiff neck.No extra pain from turning my head,In fact sometimes it helps.Non-surgical decompression from a chiropractor is one of the many things I have tried,which the multi cervical unit sounds similar to.The Mckenzie method says it's based on centralizing the pain,My pain is already centralized in the collar area of my neck so I don,t think it would help.As far as how my neck pain started it just did one day,I did not have an injury.
    You say your surgeon won't do surgery cause you don't have any herniated discs,so what is causing your pain?

Old 08-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I had a severe whiplash 5 years ago and then the neck pain started. Whiplash = damage of the soft tissues = muscles, ligaments, tendons.
    Whiplash on itself can cause lifetime of pain. plus I have bulging disks, though minimal bulging disks with no involvement with the spinal cord. Surgeon said that bulging with no involvement with the spinal cord is not for surgery. They only do surgery with herniated disks.

Never done the discorgram so they cannot tell for sure the pain is caused by those disks.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

You can always consider a second opinion with another Neurosurgeon or Orthopedic Spine Surgeon.

I think the retrolisthesis is a reason for concern, that needs to be stabilized in many cases to prevent further movement. Maybe it's in there but did you include the "Impression" or "Summary" of the MRI? That's usually at the end and provides good information

Old 08-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
    yeah me
    (male)

yeah me HB User

SpineAZ-
    Thanks for your input.
    I'm hoping retrolisthesis is not a factor because my surgeon did not mention it and it is grade 1,which is only 1/4 inch displacement.Also it is not mentioned in the impression,which I neglected to include earlier but will now.

1)C3-4:A disc osteophyte complex and facet arthropathy contributes to moderate to left foraminal stenosis and mild to moderate right foraminal stenosis.
    2)C-4-5:A concentric disc bulge with 2 mm posterior disc protrusion is seen effacing the ventral CSF.
    3)C-5-6:A concentric disc bulge and facet arthropathy is seen.There is 4 mm posterior midline to left paracentral disc protrusion contributing to moderate central canal stenosis.There is moderate to severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
    Thanks again.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #9
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

If an ACDF is done the vertebrae are pulled into alignment and discs causing problem are partially or fully removed. You'd have to ask what will be dome about stenosis. I had severe recurrent nerve pain and the MRI showed minor stenosis. The surgeon almost reluctantly agreed to do a posterior foraminotomy and when he got in found the stenosis was severe. MRI's are great but don't always reveal all the problems. A good Orthopedic Spine Surgeon or Neurosurgeon will evaluate symptoms in combination of test results to determine the best treatment plan.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
    yeah me
    (male)

yeah me HB User

Spine AZ :I asked about a foraminotomy and my surgeon said there no good for neck pain only for arm pain or numbness.I have also been told that cervical fusions have higher sucess rate then lumbar but not so much with pain relieve.I'm currently waiting for prior authorization to scheduale a discogram which is suppose to detect what disc level is causing pain.At that point not sure what I am going to do.If my insurance covered it or if I could afford it I probally would try one of the minimally invasive outpatient facilitys.
    One thing I always wondered was why my pain is sometimes on the left and sometimes on the right.I don't here this to much.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
    frenchfri1003
    (female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User
    Wink Re: Surgery for Neck pain only?

Have you had more than one opinion since you had your MRI? If a surgeon is recommending surgery then you need to get additional reviews of all of your reports and testing. For more than 5 years I suffered from what I thought were sinus headaches and migraines until they were attributed to my neck issues. I was told in about 2004 or 05 that I would need surgery. It took me until 12/9/2010 to have ACDF C5-6 C 6-7. I do not have any of the so called sinus headaches and migraines anymore. In addition I do not snore anymore. Only you and your doctors can decide if surgery is appropriate for you. even then you need to get multiple opinions and weigh your options. When your quality of life changes to the point that there is no quality then you will know that you need to have the surgery. I was unable to use my left arm at all due to the pain and was using heavy duty pain killers 24/7 and knew that it wasn't going to get any better. I tried acupuncture, epidural shots, PT ad chiropractic care. Nothing helped solve the problem. Good luck on your road to answers.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
    yeah me
    (male)

yeah me HB User

french fri thanks for your reply. Yes i have had other opinions 1 from a neuro recommending ACDF also and 1 from A minimally invasive facility suggesting a laminoforaminoplasty(with no fusion).Still waiting for prior authorzation to scheduale discogram.Not sure what i'm going to do. thanks for your good wishes.

Closed Thread