It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ADR scar on abdomen

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
    backmom
    (female)

backmom HB User
    ADR scar on abdomen

Hi there, I am 36 and had a artificial implant put in L5S1 in January, it has been a complete nightmare, apart from the surgeon not explaining that he was cutting through my stomach and not my back, the surgery has not been a sucsess, I have been in and out for immense pain in my whole left leg and foot and buttocks, and the fact that my leg is boiling hot compared to the other one, it is also the scar that bothers me so badly, there is a 12 cm cut from my belly button to the top of my privates, it looks horendouz, I had not idea that I was getting cut like that, I have tried to search the interenet for scars similer to mine and cannot find anything, I need to know there is someone out there with similer scars or my doctor seriuosly butchered me, please help? OH and my back is in almost the same pain it was in before, I app have to go back in again to have bolts and stabilisers in but I am so scared, I wish I had just had a fusion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: ADR scar on abdomen

ADR's have to be done from the front as the disk they are replacing is in the front of the spine...not the back. They can't get to that disk space from the back. And since they have to go and pull all your intestines out of the way to do the surgery, they need a big hole. I haven't had mine done yet(this fall) but I am expecting to be done from both sides...back and front.

As for the pain, I'm sorry but I have heard similar stories. Those artificial disks are not as good as they say. But even with a fusion, you only have a success rate of 30% for being pain free after surgery. Bet he didn't tell you that...most don't. Spine surgery for pain is notoriously bad.

It does take a good 2 years to fully recover and heal from spine surgery so give it time...it may get better and probably will. Took me over 2 years to recover from a 6 level fusion in my neck(C3 to T1).

I hope you will get better with time.

Jenny

Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
    backmom
    (female)

backmom HB User
    Re: ADR scar on abdomen

Hi there, I went to a lawyer and she told me that most ortho's want do a spinal implant on L5S1 as it is the bottom disc and it has nothing to do with mobility( being able to bend your back and so forth) a fusion would have served the same purpose without going through this horrible ordeal, all I can say if you are a woman really consider not having this type of surgery as the scar is horrific, I will post a pic and you can all see, you see I still need to chat with someone that has had this surgery at L5S1 TX

Closed Thread