It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• What causes hand tremors?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
    tandycipps
    (female)

tandycipps HB User
    What causes hand tremors?

I am facing Anterior Cervical Discectomy and fusion. I havenít decided if I want to go through this surgery or not. I deal with severe pain in my neck and shoulders daily and have really bad headaches. I have a torn rotator cuff in one shoulder and the other one is close behind. I am so sick of having to take pills just to live and some days they donít really help that much but I refuse to go to a stronger pain med. My neck curves the opposite way it should so over the years the discs have worn out. For several months I have had a problem. For several hours after I get up in the morning if I try to text or type and my hands shake to the point I can hardly type. I noticed this morning that it has gotten a lot worse. I donít have pain or numbness in my hands or arms. I do, of course, have pain in my neck and shoulders. Could this be causing the tremors? Iíve got a follow up with the surgeon soon so I can ask him some questions before I decide about the surgery. Iím going to ask about the hand tremors of course but what would be some good questions to ask? Has anyone had this surgery and what were your results?
    Thanks,
    Beverly
    If this posts twice..sorry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: What causes hand tremors?

Beverly, ACDF's are pretty routine, and many people posting here have had them. I've had an ACDF, and also a laminoplasty, laminotomy and foraminotomies. ACDF's have been done for so long that they are about as "routine" as a major surgery can be.

Problems with the cervical spine can cause just about anything to go wrong in your arms. Not just your arms, but legs and anything else beneath the problem level.

It's a little hard to give you much more of a response without knowing more about your history. What symptoms appeared, and when? Have you had X-rays, or MRI's? What did the doctors say or recommend? If you had an MRI, what did the radiologist's report say (this is important)?

Cervical spine problems are NOT to be taken lightly, or let go in hopes that they'll improve or from fear of surgery. Problems multiply in number and intensity, and temporary problems become permanent with time.

Last edited by WebDozer; 08-27-2011 at 05:13 AM.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
    pebblebeach2
    Inactive
    (male)

pebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB User
    Re: What causes hand tremors?

Hi I wish I could answer your question about the tremors. I have had tremors mainly in my left arm since 1994. I was initially diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and treated for it for 2 plus years. Then discovered it was a misdiagnosis. Then was told it was Essential Tremors. That too was ruled out. My tremors are mild now since the time they originated.
    I have had 7 spine surgeries; between the neck and lumbar regions

The neurosurgeon said tremors stem from something within the brain. While Orthopedists thought could there be an irritation that could cause the tremors.

Still after all these years no answers have been found. Wish I had your answer as well as mine.

Allan

The Following User Says Thank You to pebblebeach2 For This Useful Post:
    tandycipps (08-29-2011)
    Closed Thread