It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Posterior Foraminotomy Surgery vs ACDF -- which is overall best

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
    Disable Veteran
    (male)

Disable Veteran HB User
    Question Posterior Foraminotomy Surgery vs ACDF -- which is overall best

I am sorta confused on which would be the best for me, the foraminotomy surgery or the ACDF. I have been living with the numbness and some times tear causing pain in my left arm for 2 years now. The VA has given me two (2) steriod shots and that was pretty useless.

They say I have midly progressive degenerative changes with inflammatory and sclerotic changes in the subchondral marrow of the endplates of C6 and C7 vertebrea.

What does Chronicity and partial resporption of the disc mean? I also have bilateral neural foramina narrowing.

Oh that is about as clear as pea soup to me.

If anyone can give me some good and sound input I sure would appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Posterior Foraminotomy Surgery vs ACDF -- which is overall best

DV - it's not necessarily either/or. I've had both - an ACDF 15 years ago and a foraminotomy 7 years ago.

If a surgeon is proposing an ACDF, you will want to know if he can simultaneously fix the problems in the foraminal openings. This will depend on where the intrusions into the foraminal openings are coming from. If they're coming from in front, then ACDF may be the way go, or even the only way to go.

If the foraminal intrusions are coming from in back (say, bone spurs on the uncovertebral joints), then an ACDF won't be able to reach them, but a foraminotomy easily will.

Conversely, however, a foraminotomy will not be able to deal with intrusions into the spinal canal coming from in front (the disks and vertebrae).

An ACDF is a pretty big deal, surgery-and-recovery-wise, while a foraminotomy is not. My foraminotomy was outpatient, and I never even bothered with pain meds. So, ideally, you can get by with just a foraminotomy.

I would want to know if that's an option. Perhaps trying the foraminotomy and then seeing how things stand. Of course, w/o the radiologist's report (and perhaps even with it), it's kind of hard to develop an opinion about that.

Oh, and "chronicity" just means a measure of how chronic something is. Resorbtion of disk just means that a disk that herniates backward into the spinal canal is re-absorbed back into it's proper location. Seems like a relatively good thing, to me, but I have never encountered the term before.

Good luck, and ask if you have any other questions...

Last edited by WebDozer; 08-28-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Closed Thread