It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• SCARED car accident 8 months post op ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
    frenchfri1003
    (female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User
    SCARED car accident 8 months post op ACDF

HI.I had 2 level ACDF on 12/9/2010. I was stopped waiting to make a turn when a Ford Explorer barreled into me (Nissan Altima) at 30 mph. I am so scared that there is now additional damage to my neck and or my fusion or plate and screws shifted. Spoke to OSS and since I am not having radiating pain down my arm or tingling in my fingers I am waiting to go to their office on Tuesday instead of emergency room. They can do x rays and MRI's in office. The muscle aches and spasms are killing me. Taking anti inflammatory and using TENS unit but afraid to take real meds and mask any pain that it occurring.Anyone else get into an accident and fine after being rear ended. I need some words of wisdoms and good thoughts. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: SCARED car accident 8 months post op ACDF

I wouldn't worry too much. Those titanium plates and screws can handle a lot. I remember falling about a year+ after my fusion after tripping over a hose in the garden and stumbling down a hillside only to trip again and fall on my face without breaking my fall....I hit so hard my face bounced off the ground...hubby saw it bounce.

My whole face was black and blue from chin to hairline, my eyes really deep purple. Hubby took me to the ER and they didn't even x-ray my face...but they did my do my neck....fine...no problems at all. Face...not so much. Took months to go away and I still have a ridge on my face from where my sunglasses dug into my face.

I bet it's fine.

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
    frenchfri1003 (09-06-2011)
    Old 09-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
    frenchfri1003
    (female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User

Jenny,

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom. Yes the titanium plate and screw are probably fine. I am having so many more muscle spasms in my neck, shoulders and back. I just hope that there isn't damage elsewhere in my neck and back. I do feel as if I was lucky since there wasn't a car in front of me and the airbag didn't go off. Sometimes I second guess myself for not going to the ER and waiting to go to my OSS. But I think if there was significant or serious damage I would be in much more pain and have some of my old issues again. My husband has been in Danbury since Wed so I am alone to deal with all of this... dealing with ins company, medical, car rental and getting car fixed.

You certainly had an ordeal when you fell. The bruising would have made me very nervous. Certainly would not have been a great way to start the school year. I was just hoping to start this year in great shape since last year this time I was trying to see if the epidurals would work and I could avoid surgery. We know how that turned out.

Thank you again.Hope all of your additional issues are manageable.

Gail
    DDD, arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerve
    12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7 with plate, screws,
    BMP & bone fragment filled cages
    2/14/2011 trying to go back to work as a teacher
    2/17/2011 starting PT
    wearing bone stimulator 4 hours a day
    3 months saw a little bit of bone growth (YEAH)
    4/15/2011 Home Tens Unit
    6 months - end plate growth going well - no more bone stimulator, issues with hands going to vascular and hand surgeons to find out why
    8/2011 - may have TOS or RSD still researching and testing
    9/2/2011 Rear ended at 30 mph. Think I am okay going to OSS on Tue or Wed. School begins Tues.

Dealt with the pain and issues for more than 5 years
    tried PT, chiropractic, acupuncture, cervical epidural shots and selective nerve root blocks prior to surgery

Old 09-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
    frenchfri1003
    (female)

Plate and screws intact :)

I am happy to report after coming home from the OSS the hardware is all in place. He took a ton of x rays of my neck and back. The plate and screws are in tact and in place no issues with them. He said that I have a really significant whiplash. Major muscle spasms and some pain issues to deal with. I haven't taken much for the pain as I wanted to "really" feel what was going on. He said that I should wear the soft collar and that should help along with Soma 250 mg for muscle spams and EC naprosyn 500 mg for the pain. They said to find a pharmacy that accepts no fault. My regular pharmacy doesn't so I need to make a few calls. Not really sure how no fault works. Guess I need to. OSS is taking care of all the paperwork for his visits since I have to go through my PIP on my car insurance here in NY. Doesn't seem fair to me. I go back in 2 weeks unless I feel worse then I can go back when ever I want to. They are wonderful. I asked about any herniation or bulging. He said that wouldn't show in an xray and he would wait for an MRI which would show that. Some people suggested that I find a lawyer. Not sure what to do. On the accident report the guy who hit me did take responsibility so that part is done. I don't think there is any money. The guy who hit me was unlicensed and his brother who owned the car is licensed and insured. I think they are immigrants who barely make ends meet. Owner works at stop and shop and as a cook at a deli. Guy who hit me works at dunkin donuts. I worked 2 days now (teacher) and the muscle spasms and pain have definitely increased. Glad I was able to sit on the recliner and do nothing for 4 days.
    Just want to thank everyone for being concerned. I'm sure I will repost in 2 weeks after the next appointment unless something else comes up.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Glad it's just whiplash. I remember that they first weekend my son came home from college, he got hit at 75mph on the Mass Pike. Totaled the car and gave him really bad whiplash. Spasmed for weeks but eventually settled down and he has been fine since. His mother however, was forever traumatized by kid getting hit and calls from state cops. NOT MY BABY!!!!!!!!!

I got over it too.

Jenny

Old 09-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
    frenchfri1003
    (female)

Wink Re: SCARED car accident 8 months post op ACDF

I can't imagine getting a phone call like that. I would be beside myself. So glad that he is fine. Not sure how long before my whiplash settles down. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I still have not told my son about the accident. He is a freshman in college and I don;t want him to worry. I may have to soon as parents weekend is 2 weeks and I am not sure that I am up to drive 6 hours without traffic to see him. Guilt is a horrible thing to deal with especially self inflicted. Glad the first 4 days of school are over and I can rest over the weekend. The TENS unit was definitely my best friend.
    Have a dry and safe weekend.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
    frenchfri1003
    (female)

Unhappy Re: SCARED car accident 8 months post op ACDF

I am still concerned. Muscle spasms not as bad but still there. If I lift anything or do too much they come back and let me know. My ROM has decreased tremendously and there is so much crunching when I turn my neck. OSS said not too worry about the crunching but it goes right through me like nails on a chalkboard. I go back on Wed. but would love to go back on Monday if they have room for me. I am also going to request an MRI. I want to know what is going on with the soft tissue. Also having some issues with swallowing, feeling like there is a lump in my throat and or narrowing. It could be in my head or just inflammation in general making it feel bad. Who knows. After all I have been through I think I get nervous with everything I feel. I am keeping a journal of how I feel and how it impacts my life. Just in case I need it for a lawyer. Hope everyone is feeling as well as they can. When shopping with a girlfriend as a pick me up. Bought 2 outfits. Helped a bit. Was very tired after shopping. Came home to take a nap. Feel much older than my soon to be 50. Haven't planned anything and not sure I feel up to it now.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
    frenchfri1003
    (female)

Wink Re: SCARED car accident 8 months post op ACDF

Well it has been a month since i last posted. Have been going to PT for about 3 weeks now. I have been getting slightly better. Had a few set backs PT was too aggressive or did a stretch that killed me day I was pathetic. Heavier meds, TENS unit and in horrible pain. I tried to blow dry my hair for picture day - wanted to look good in the class picture. Mistake I won't make again. Still getting muscle spasms and my lower back is still not right. I go back to OSS on Tuesday and will request an MRI. I want to know for sure if there is anything else going on. Hope it is still just regular whiplash taking a long time to heal.

Jenny _ Hope you are doing as well as can be expected. Thinking about you.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Remember, not everybody who had whiplash got better...
    Whiplash can damage your tendons, ligaments and muscles for ever.
    Whiplash can cause bulging/herniated disks.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
    frenchfri1003
    (female)

I am trying to be positive. I have seen progress as far as pain level, amount and intensity of muscle spasms. Hopefully with PT I will get back to my pre accident condition. Thanks for the post.

Closed Thread