It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Help translating please :-)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
    devkar35
    (female)

devkar35 HB User
    Help translating please :-)

Hi there,

It has been some time since I have posted and I have some new symptoms. I had a myelogram last week but don't see the Dr. for another 2 weeks, and am curious as to what this all means.

In regard to my previous surgeries, I have had the following surgeries:

4/2010 - Lumbar foraminotomy L3-L4 and L4-L5
    12/2010 - Cervical foraminotomy C4-C5 and C5-C6
    5/2011 - Cervical fusion C4-C5 and C5-C6

Right after the cervical fusion I began to have lower back pain more significant than prior to the lumbar foraminotomy in Apr 2010. Pain radiates across the lower back, down into the left buttock and down the left leg. Weakness, tingling and numbess throughout the leg and foot. Three toes on my left foot have been numb for over a month now. The pain is completely intolerable to sit, stand, go to the bathroom and yes, even to pass gas.

Last Friday, I had a myelogram doen with the following findings:

- L3-L4 mild disc bulging without significant central canal or foraminal stenosis.
    - L4-L5 there is mild disc bulging slightly indenting the ventral thecal sac. A right laminectomy defect is seen. The central sac is widely patent. Neural foramina are widely patent.

IMPRESSION:
    - There is mild disc bulging at L3-L4 and L4-L5
    - The central canal is widely patent throughout. No significant stenosis.
    - No neural impingement is seen.

I'm not seeign anything that would justify my symptoms, but they are sure the heck there and keeping me from going about my normal life and caring for my children. I can't deal with the pain and can hardly walk at times without feeling like my back is going to cave in or my leg going numb and going out on me. I walk with a constant limp.

Can anyone shed some light on this with their personal knowledge or experience?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Help translating please :-)

Based on the radiologist's "impression", I can't see anything there, either. You posted what the radiologist said... does the ordering doc - after looking at the images - agree?

You said it happened right after the C-fusion..... doesn't seem likely, but I wonder if there's a cervical component to this. Are you going to get a followup cervical MRI, by any chance?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
    devkar35
    (female)

devkar35 HB User
    Re: Help translating please :-)

Thanks for the reply!

I don't see my Dr. for another 2 weeks, so we haven't discussed it yet.

As far as it acting up again after the cervical fusion, the pain has always been there since prior to the lower back surgery last April. It is just getting progressively worse. The numbness and tingling began again after I started physical therapy for the cervical fusion. So it was an existing injury, I'm assuming just aggravated from some exercises.

I was told I would go for a follow up MRI for the neck 6 months after the surgery which won't be until December.

Unfortuantely, I have damage to three areas of the spine so that have to alternate treatment for each section. Thoracic is the last area they will touch.

I'm just confused with the results of the myelogram and my symptoms as they don't coincide. So just not sure what is going on!

Closed Thread