It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• methadone/Sciatica

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2011, 03:46 AM   #1
    persevere330
    (female)

persevere330 HB User
    methadone/Sciatica

Hello,
    I have had Sciatica for over three years. My first back surgery was 2009. My second was in 2010, to fix what the first doctor jacked up. In my healing process, I herninated a disc,and have a lot of scar tissue. I did inquire about the neurostim, but with all the scar tissue it will not work.
    Pain clinic gave me a script for methadone to take it twice a day. I am a single Mom, and have a part time job. I don't think I would be able to function on it. I asked the doc what about driving? He said you would have to see. What does that mean? So if I get in an accident then that is not the med for me? I am going to see another doc there. The doc wants me to see the psychologist there too, because of my depression. Yeah, and who wouldn't be depressed? People don't get chronic pain. I have had friends,and famiy say it could be worse. These are people that don't have chronic pain. Do ya think if they had Sciatica for one day, they would still make that comment.
    Thanks for hearing me. I am a newbie.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: methadone/Sciatica

You'll find lots of others with the same story on the Pain Management board....even have a place to tell your own story.

If you saw the show on TV today by the doc who was a heart surgeon(can't mention names) then you heard that the newest thinking on chronic pain is that it isn't a symptom but a disease in and of itself. About time. We knew that.

I see a physiatrist for my spine issues and it has made a difference for me. They are the rehab docs who deal with pain. Did not go to a pain clinic but have her as a regular doc. Got me into warm water pool therapy and it has so helped. Might want to look into a physiatrist(check under rehab docs).

Jenny

Old 09-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
    Itralian1
    (male)

Itralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB User

Hi, I am in chronic pain and, have found methadone to be very manageable. I do not get a euphoric feeling from 1-10mg pill. In all honesty it has helped with my pain. I have had back problems, since I was 24. herniated disc at L5. Now I have a bulging disc C4-C5 flattening part of my spinal cord. Chronic pain has been with me for, 4 long years now. I did not care for the euphoric high from vicodins, percocets etc..... My thoughts would be to try one a day first. I have found 1-10mg last me 8hrs. I am taking less pain meds overall, since taking methdone. I do take two a day but, I am disabled and limit myself to, work inside my house. I have had no problems driving and, do not drink at all since being on this med. Best to you with your decision.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #4
    persevere330
    (female)

persevere330 HB User

Good Morning,
    I have rec neuro stim for other people suffering from their back. I have a lot of scar tissue that it just will not work for me. I am taking 10mg a day of methadone, and you are right it does make the pain more manageable. At least I am able to work a part time job. If I were unable to work that would really throw me into deeper depression. I am sorry that you are so young,and have to live like this. Life is so unfair! I felt so alone going through this living hell. I am so blessed that I found this website. I hope you have a less of a pain day! Thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to persevere330:
    Itralian1 (10-03-2011)
    Old 10-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
    Itralian1
    (male)

Itralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB User

Hello again, I too felt blessed when I found HB. I have been on here ever since. Sharing experiences that may help others. and learning alot from others also. Welcome, this site has helped me keep my sanity. I have been disabled, sitting at home for three years now! I hope you find anawers to all your questions. Helping others, gives me the feeling I am worth something again. Best to you and God bless!

Last edited by Itralian1; 10-03-2011 at 07:46 AM.

Closed Thread