It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

ACDF surgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
neeni
(female)

neeni HB User
ACDF surgery

Hi All

I would like to get some input from others who had ACDF surgery two levels. I had C5 C6 C7, ROI-C implant. done back in February 2011.
The surgery was a complete success ! I had the most wonderful doctor. My incision is virtually invisible.
I had a good amount of healing pain for about four months.
Major dysphagia, (SP) but Prednisone cleared that up. However, in late July I suddenly had awful unbearable pain in my neck. Went to Doc and to all of our surprise, the xray showed that one of the little plates in the ROI-C cracked in half. Doctor claims that would not cause my pain, that my pain was bone pain, i wasn't fully fused yet of course, too soon.
Anyway, I swear I was not in that kind of pain and knew something was wrong.
How would they know if the cracked plate would or wouldn't be painful unless it was in their neck?
To date, my neck pain is beyond anything i can stand. But its different from the pain i was in prior to surgery and after.
Anyone have a failed ROI-C ? I went to a second opinion and each doctor is shocked that the implant broke. But its only been out and in use since 2010 or late 2009. Do these surgeons have financial interest in the manufacturer of the product?
Personally, I want it out, i just cant take the pain and i know its from that
Any input???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
frenchfri1003
(female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User
Re: ACDF surgery

Sorry for your pain and cracked plate. I had ACDF C5-6 C6-7 12/9/2010. I had a cage with BMP and a plate and 6 screws. Not sure which one. My feeling is yes, there is a financial gain for the surgeon and the manufacture of the materials that are used. Not sure how it would crack. Mine is titanium and strong. I feel down and up the stairs during the first post month of surgery - no problem and I was scared. Then 9/2/2011 I was rear-ended and very scared that there was damage to my neck. The x rays showed that the plate was stable and no fractures. I am dealing with significant whiplash. Not fun. I think I would want the plate out also if it is cracked as it may be able to shift. You are feeling the pain and it should not be discounted by anyone. It is unfortunate that you need to be a strong advocate with your wishes. Good luck

Closed Thread