It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• May need c3-c4 fused - question about recovery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
    jsbc7777
    (female)

jsbc7777 HB User
    May need c3-c4 fused - question about recovery

I have searched through these boards for awhile and cant seem to locate information on the exact process I am going to be having. I was just wondering how much down-time (restricted to a bed) there is and how much time after that before I can go back to work. I am a home health nurse and I dont often do any lifting so "back to work" would basically entail being able to drive/walk/bend over slightly. I am trying to figure out how long I am going to be out of commission and if we can afford to get this operation. I am fee for service so if I dont work, I dont get paid and if the recovery is months long I dont think I am going to be able to do it. Any information you could provide would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: May need c3-c4 fused - question about recovery

I had C3-4 done when I was 44. Unfortunately, that was 15 years ago, and I don't remember the recovery all that well. I do remember that I spent two nights in the hospital and could walk fine when I got out. I had a soft collar, but not for long. I don't remember how long before I could drive, but I doubt it was more than two weeks.

I would be surprised if they haven't improved their technique in the last 15 years, hopefully resulting in improved recovery times. At any rate, the surgeons do these all the time (at least, I HOPE your surgeon does) and can give you a pretty good idea of recovery.

As for "not being able to do it", if the recovery is months long, I'm sorry, but that's the wrong attitude. If you need it done, you need it done. Waiting will only make things worse.

Last edited by WebDozer; 10-10-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
    jsbc7777
    (female)

jsbc7777 HB User

Thanks for the info and as far as having the wrong attitude I dont think it is really attitude related but reality related. If I dont work I cant pay bills, if I cant pay bills I get evicted. If I have no home, neck and back pain is kind of small potatoes. Know what I mean?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Small potatoes, until it becomes various forms of paralysis, which is the real reason the docs want to operate, not the pain.

Still, as long as you don't need to lift much, particularly if you don't need to reach-and-lift, you should be fine.

Closed Thread