It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• T6-T7 Thoracic cause burning pain in Upper back?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
    gpinzone
    (male)

gpinzone HB Usergpinzone HB User
    T6-T7 Thoracic cause burning pain in Upper back?

Here is my MRI results:

At T6-7 moderate sized left paracentral disc herniation which moderately idenents the left ventral hemicord causing mile to moderate focal cord compression but without significant central spinal canal stenosis. There is no abnormal sinal with cord

At T7-8 a small left paracentral disc herniation contacting and only slightly impinging the left ventral cord without central spinal canal stenosis.

This started about 12 months ago. I started to have burning pain right in the middle of my chest ranging from my sternum to the middle of my nipples when I drank water. It started to get worse asa couple of months past where I was just constant Over the last 9 months I went for every GI test (24 ph test, Endoscope, Manometry), blood test, vitamin tests, allergy tests, heart work up in the book and while I have minimal reflux it would not cause this constant burning. I am on PPIís anyway. The only thing that helped the burning was rubbing my chest or a hot bath but as soon as I stopped rubbing it or got out of bath burning came back.
    Then about 3 months ago the burning pain began in my back as well, but just so slightly. I began between my shoulder blades and could radiate to the back base of my neck where it connects to my back and also at times to my triceps. I donít have any weakness, difficulty breathing, or pins and needles. As weeks went by it got gradually worse. So now I had both chest and back burning.

We thought it was hypersensitivity in my esophagus. There are people out there that can become sensitive to changes in PH or pressure in there esophagus. So I tried a few different SSRIís as they seem to help this condition. Lexapro seems to make the burning in my chest go away but the burning in my back got worse.

I went for MRIís in my cervical, thoracic, and lumbar back and got an EMG. The lumbar and cervical was pretty much normal and the EMG. The thoracic was abnormal. I am going for e EPI to see if it helps with the pain. Since its in the T6-7 area the pain management doctor doing the EPI says that the pain is not coming from there as its too low for the pain to radiate that high on my back based off the ASIA Pain sensory point chart.. My neurologist says itís possible it could radiate and wants me to get shot.

When the burning was in my chest I could at least rub a biofreeze type cream on it which would help block the burning feeling but now that itís on my back I canít relieve it as my back feels so sensitive like its sunburned, so putting any cream, ice or heat only makes it feel worse. If I sit down too long it burns more. The only thing the helps are going for walks. I can sleep at night but as soon as I wake up my back is burning. I sleep on my back and I tried to sleep on my side but burning is either the same or worse.

Can anyone with this type of herniation confirm if they experienced this type of burning pain in the area is described? I am at a loss if this shot doesnít work. My fear is that my back could still be causing it but not sure what else to do. It seems like too much of a coincidence but the weird thing is the pain didnít start in my back, it started it my chest then moved to my back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: T6-T7 Thoracic cause burning pain in Upper back?

I have herniations in the same 2 disks and don't have pain where you have it. It occurs in my sides, way below the armpits.

Aside from that, the disks are hitting your spinal cord and not the nerves that leave the cord and go out to the body. It would need to impinge on those nerves to cause the pain in your chest. Spinal cord compression causes problems below that level in the legs with possible weakness and numbness of areas like your toes but most definitely below the waist.

I suppose there could be something they can't see that is hitting a nerve somewhere but the spine makes no sense at all to me. My right side on my back is numb from compression and the left side gets bad pain over my kidney area in the back. Your chest area is part of the cervical nerves....I have compression of the nerves at C4 and it is causing numbness in the left front side of my chest, high up toward the shoulder. I imagine C5 might do lower down.

I think your pain doc is right.

Jenny(fused C3 to T1, 2 cervical surgeries and counting)

Old 10-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

The MRI does not explain your pain. Perhaps they're missing something, but if they aren't it may not be a spinal problem.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
    gpinzone
    (male)

Well I had an MRI of my Cervical spine in June a full month before I started having buring in my back.

MRI showed :

Mild reversal of the normal cervical lordosis centered at C5-6. Marrow signal normal or without fracture or lesion. Spincord normal in signal and caliber. Visualized posterior fossa is unremarkable.

At C5-6 there is a broad-based paracentral disk herniation and uncovertebral arthroapthy resulting in mild bilateral foraminal narrowing without central stenosis.

My chiro told me its nothing to be concerned about. Its happends with age. My neck is starting to move foward like a turle. I am trying to keep better posture as I am on the computer most of the day.

I was thinking about getting another MRI of my neck but I havent had anything to speak of in the way of falls or injury.

C5-C6 on the dematome chart does line up with the areas that are burning. Thing is, the only thing that helps is walking. Siting, lying down cause itto burn more like a thoracic spine problem. I am going out of my mind.

And burning means its a nerve problem yet theres no nerve damage so logically I was figuring the only sign of anything related to nerve is the pinched nerve in T6-8.

what else can I do?

I dont want to go on narcodics.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Sorry, gp, I am at a loss. The cervical MRI does not seem to problematic, unless the radiologist just misread it (not impossible, unfortunately).

Old 10-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
    gpinzone
    (male)

What the heck could cause that burning pain then. Is there any other Scan or MRI they could perform that gives a closer or better look possibly in the neck area?

Old 10-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Burning is not necessarily a sign of a nerve problem. Anything that irritates a nerve can do it too.

I hesitate to say anything but since I care about everyone here, I'll pass this along. What you described...the constant burning pain that is only relieved by walking, is exactly what my brother had and it turned out to be early angina. His tests kept coming back normal for quite a while and his doc said it was very abnormal to have it so constant and only relieved by walking but that was what it was. I was taken aback at your description.

I'd keep insisting on the docs trying to figure out what is wrong. There are way too many things in the middle of the chest that we need for life, to dismiss it as your back. But that is what docs do when they don't know...blame it on something else or blame is on the patient. All it really means is that they haven't found the problem.....yet. Sooner or later you will find out and the tests will show it......you may not show enough blockage of an artery yet or some other problem

I know you had heart tests but did you see a cardiologist? Did they do a nuclear stress test or angiogram of your heart? Has anyone given you nitroglycerine to see if it makes it stop? That is how they diagnosed it with my brother.

I had a good friend who had constant thoracic back pain and the docs had him doing PT and then he had a heart attack....all back pain. If it's your back, it can wait but you HAVE to make sure it's not your heart first and foremost whether the pain be in the front or the back.

Jenny

Old 10-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #8
    gpinzone
    (male)

I have had EKG, Angio, and Strest test (Not with contrast)about 8 months ago when I had burning in my chest all were normal.
    I recently had blood work done that measured CRP levels(C-reactive protein) which were in normal range. MY HDL-LDL ratio is border line. I have medium particle size blood. My blood pressure is normal.

How about your brother was everything normal on his end? Did he get any pressure pains? I dont. Just that damn burning.
    Did the burning pain go up to the base of his neck where it attaches to the traps? Was his burning deep in his back or more like skin burning sensation? Where his back burning pains specific to one side or both. Mine occur billaterally.

Pain's intensity goes up and down but for the most part its always there. Infact sometimes it gets worse when I drink water. ITs like the nerves in my esphogus are irrating the nerves in my back or visa versa.

Around July I started to get slight burning in my back. When I was trying out different SSRI's/SNRI Lexapro/Zoloft/Effexor/ Celexa

It seems Effexor made the back and chest pain worse, Zolft gave me headaches, Lexapro and Celexa made the chest pains better but the back pain started to get worse. I am on Lexapro right now 5mg and my chest pain is 99% better. Its all in my back and like I mentioned before, its so damn sensitive I cant put hot or cold on it or creams. It makes it worse. Its like sunburn.

I can easily go for another stress test. Thing is I have no chest pain, I dont get out of breathe. Also I am not sure if I mentioned this but back on MArch 18th I got a Botox Injection in my upper esophgus spincter for the tightness in throat feeling. Its right around C3. July would be four months later where possibly Botox injection wears off. Do you think its possible Botox could of caused some type of nerve damage causing the Back burning? I mean back burning is going from C4-T1. So I am not sure if it would reach that far down.

Only other thing I could think of is my Gallbladder. I had a sonogram done but never a HIDA scan. My GI doctor insists its not that.

Last edited by gpinzone; 10-14-2011 at 06:27 AM.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
    jennybyc
    Inactive

That relieves me to know you've had a bunch of stuff done and are on top of the situation. We get people here who are in obvious distress who won't get tests and we wonder when they don't come back if they are still alive....thank you for taking good care of you.

Since my brother no longer lives close by, all I can tell you is that he had the constant burning that went from his chest to his back and was the only thing that helped was walking around and they eventually gave him nitroglycerine to see if it would help and it did. So they just kept testing him until they found the artery that was clogging in his heart. I guess is was in a weird place and probably from something congenital(congenital stricture that got worse with age). Anyhow, he has since had a by-pass and is fine.

But again, your MRI just doesn't show anything that should be causing that pain....not in thoracic. BUT, I would wonder if the problem at C5-6 isn't getting worse or something has happened there that has triggered this. It's more in the right area. And on the outside of the cervical spine is the parasympathetic nervous system that affects the organs from chest to head. You get damage at T1/2 area and you can end up with constantly pinpoint pupils....it's that weird a system.

I kept reading your initial post and didn't see the post about C5-6 until today so I would suspect the problem is there. Stop the chiro and have some tests done. I broke my neck at C4,5 and 6 and you can get some wild symptoms from that area.

But whatever you do, keep searching for something to stop it. Often, once we find something that woks, we can work backwards to find the cause...like my brother with the nitro. Since Lexapro helped, it might be something in the nervous system that has gotten inflamed as drugs like that can help the pain centers of the brain when they get fired up. I wonder if Lidocaine patches on your back would help to stop the back part? That would tell you it's surface nerves and nothing internal.

I'll keep doing some reading and trying to find more info. But I'm glad it doesn't seem to be your heart...I was worried about you. But now that I know you do have a seemingly small problem at C5-6, I bet you that is where the problem lies. Just intuition from my own travels down that road. I had very stable lumbar herniations when I saw my spine doc in mid-June...been the same for years and years....and then on July 1st it all fell apart. Took one wrong move and it went nuts. You just never know what will cause things to change.

Jenny

Old 10-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
    gpinzone
    (male)

I am going to get another MRI of my cervical spin today in 30 mins.

This morning I went to see a back Surgeon and a new Nurologist today. THe back doc said its not coming from your T-Spine and wants to see the new Cspine MRI after I get it. He said he would like me to try an Epideral in the C6 area.

The Nurologist advise against getting epidral in my neck. He said it does not sound like nerve damage because of where I am having the pain. I did say its a long shot but he wants me to get an MRI and CT scan of Heart (Cardiac MRI) Angiogram. He said if my Aorta has a tear in it I can experience burning in the the front of chest and back.

So Maybe you were on to something. Other then that he had no other advise to offer up. He did refer me ton another Nuerologist who deals with wierd pain syndroms but I cant get in to see him till Dec 22nd.

Ill keep you posted on what MRI of neck and heart show.

Please if you think of anything else let me know!

Old 10-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
    jennybyc
    Inactive

Good. I also thought of an aorta problem but figured when they checked your heart they checked for that too. But a developing tear in the lining(dissection) causes a lot of chest pain from front to back. But I would think that would have progressed by now. They don't stay stable, they grow. And the pain grows with it. But it is one thing you have to rule out.

Let me know what they say.

Jenny

Old 10-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
    gpinzone
    (male)

I got the second MRI of C spine back. Its same as firs one no changes. Think is should get the epidural in my c6 area?

I dont know what else to do. That test for the aortoa is going to come up negative.

My skin is so sensitive to the touch. If you tried rubbing my back it would cause it to burn but just in the areas mentioned not anywhere else on my body.

Does pinch nerve in spine cause skin sensitivity like that?

Last edited by gpinzone; 10-17-2011 at 05:00 AM.

Closed Thread