It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Tarlov cysts,fractured sacrum,and now osteoporosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
    joylee
    (female)

joylee HB User
    Unhappy tarlov cysts

Hello members,
    Would there be other members with this, if so i would like very much to hear from them.My catscan revealed tarlov cysts, but i need a follow up with a MRI.
    4 weeks ago i fell on my bum, i had an xray about 8yrs ago which was clear from this problem.
    Kind regards from joylee.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
    joylee
    (female)

joylee HB User
    Unhappy Fractured sacrum and tarlov cysts

Hello i have been diagnosed from a catscan that i have toval cysts, and after an MRI i had 1 week ago, has now showed a hairline fracture of the sacrum.
    I had a fall on my bum 8 weeks ago.
    Dont know if i had the toval cysts before my fall or not.
    I am still in pain, but not as severe.
    I realise the fracture of my sacrum will mend, but as for the tarvol cysts,i need to find out more about them.
    If any one can offer some advice, please help. Regards joylee.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
    maggie230041
    (female)

maggie230041 HB User
    Re: tarlov cysts

Hi joybee

I have been suffering with this for many years now, I am sorry to say it will probably be hard to find a Neurosurgeon who can help you in Australia as I have been trying for quite some time. Don't let them tell you they don't cause pain though.

Maggie

Old 10-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Fractured sacrum and tarlov cysts

I just wrote something on your other thread...but now I know the answer to where your cysts are located. Tarlov cysts are sacs filled with cerebrospinal fluid that most often affect nerve roots in the sacrum, the group of bones at the base of the spine. These cysts can compress spinal nerve roots, causing lower back pain, urinary incontinence, headaches (due to changes in cerebrospinal fluid pressure), constipation, sexual dysfunction, and some loss of feeling or control of movement in the leg and/or foot. You may have had the cysts for years without any symptoms. Pain is often aggravated by a trauma of some sort...the fall, in your case.

TCs can be very tricky to treat. Sometimes a doctor will go in with a needle and drain them, but often they just fill back up, so this is a very temporary fix at best. They can be surgically removed but they usually grow back.

Some people have suggested that eating an alkaline diet will help reduce the symptoms. There is research being done but, at the moment, there aren't a lot of choices for treatment. Hopefully as your fracture heals, and the inflammation goes down, the pain from the cysts will subside.

Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) has been used to help with the pain. Your physical therapist could provide this treatment or a unit for you to use at home, if it helps. Some people take NSAIDS or the drugs that are used for nerve pain, like gabapentin or Lyrica. If they become very serious and surgery is contemplated, there are only a few doctors in the world who have surgical expertise in the treatment of Tarlov cysts...so I hope yours don't develop into a chronic condition.

Hope this helps a little. Sorry I don't have any good advice.

Last edited by teteri66; 10-26-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
    maggie230041
    (female)

maggie230041 HB User
    Re: tarlov cysts

No they show up on MRI and you are lucky if you are in the US as there are several NS who can operate on this condition now. Dr Feigenbaum in Kansas has the most experience. Mine are in the sacrum
    Maggie

Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
    joylee
    (female)

joylee HB User
    Thumbs up Tarlov cysts,fractured sacrum,and now osteoporosis

Hi i would like to thank everyone who sent in their support.
    As of yesterday i have now found out that i have osteoporosis.
    I had changed doctors, as my current doctor knew nothing about tarlov cysts, my new GP sent me for a bone density test,i am 64 yrs old and have never had one ,and now this new development has taken place.
    My new GP has got me on Actonel Combi to help my bones.
    One never knows what is in store for them.
    I hope you all try to keep well,look after your self, and try and keep positive.
    Hugs from joylee.

Closed Thread