It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Spinal surgeon or neurosurgeon? ATL

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
    whymelord
    (female)

whymelord HB User
    Spinal surgeon or neurosurgeon? ATL

Hello :-)

I'm wondering which is actually the best choice for C-Spine surgery... ortho that mostly excels in neck surgeries, or neuro surgeon... any thoughts? (Disk removable, replaced with bone graft, and fusion of 3 verterbrae.)

IF on the off chance anyone in the Atlanta/N. Fulton area knows of ortho surgeons (mostly c-spines), or neurosurgeons, that are TOPS in their fields, well thought of by their peers AND patients... would be most grateful to know of them. I'm nearing "S-Day" and more than a bit anxious =O

All comments appreciated... thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Spinal surgeon or neurosurgeon? ATL

I did a neurosurgeon who does nothing but spine work. The training is longer than for an ortho spine doc.

BUT....do be aware that there is no set training for a spine surgeon. Whether they are ortho or neuro or whatever, anyone can hang out a shingle saying they do spine surgery. Unlike other specialties that have "colleges" (like FACS..Fellow of the American College of Surgeons)....a board that tests and makes sure their members do on-going education and training, for a spine surgeon, there is no such thing.

Since both ortho and neuro do spines, the 2 disciplines can't agree on training so there is no official organization that certifies these docs are trained and doing on-going ed. I went so far as to have a friend who is a lawyer check out my doc for malpractice and anything else he could find. Lawyers have to find the best docs to testify for them and are always checking credentials so it's not a bad way to go in finding a good doc.

Jenny

Old 11-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
    pebblebeach2
    Inactive
    (male)

pebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB User

I have been thru a number of surgeries on both the neck and lumbar regions. I have used both orthopedic and neurosurgeon.
    More specifically as to the cervical spine I had stenosis and the surgery was done by a neurosurgeon.
    The next surgeon was more complicated and the surgery had to be done in 2 separate surgeries. I had kyphosis of the neck which required anterior and posterior approach.
    The 1st part was the posterior where they put in Harrington Rods from C3 to T3/4 level. The following week was the anterior approach where they did a graft at 2 or 3 levels from what I remember. This surgery was done by an Orthopedic surgeon. But since the anterior required going into the throat area I needed an ENT to do part of the surgery.
    A lot of people always ask whether an Orthopedic Surgeon or Neurosurgeon is the best doctor to do spine surgery.
    My opinion is that as long as they are specifically trained in spinal surgery then either one can be qualified to do the surgery.
    Good luck.

Allan

Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
    whymelord
    (female)

whymelord HB User

Thank you Allan... I agree with you regarding the choice of doc. Mine is spinal stenosis, 7mm of space around the c-spine. I am going for my pre-op in the morning so I am hoping to find out more about 'exactly' what is the plan for me.

Sounds like you have been through ALOT! Wow! I hope you have had success and are doing well/better. Thank you again :-)

Annie

Closed Thread