It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervical Spine Problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
    kabatron
    (female)

kabatron HB User
    Cervical Spine Problems

I just got the results from my MRI. I had trouble with two doctors before I found a doctor to listen to me and take an xray and MRI. This is what my final report say:
    C5-C6 Posterior disc osteophyte complex. Mild to moderate spinal canal stenosis. Mild right-sided neuroforaminal stenosis. No left-sided neuroforaminal stenosis
    C6-C7 Large left posterolateral disc osteophyte complex. This flattens the thecal sac and indents the spinal cord. Moderate spinal canal stenosis. No right-sided neuroforaminal stenosis. Severe left sided neuroforaminal stenosis. Impression: 1. Spinal canal stenosis at C5-C6 and C6-C7. 2. Severe left sided neuroforaminal stenosis at C6-C7 secondary to a disc osteophyte complex.

I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon and another doctor in internal medicine to see what needs to be done. Does anyone have information on this type of problem and an idea of what type of surgery will "relieve the pressure on my spinal cord?" That sounds so scary. I have intense pain in my neck and left shoulder, arm and hand. My last 3 fingers have pins and needles tingling. I also have pain in my lower back and down both of my legs. I have shooting pains across my butt and down the back of my legs. The left leg is numb at night when I am trying to sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Cervical Spine Problems

It seems pretty clear-cut that you need (and the doctor will recommend) at least a C6-7 ACDF, and likely also a C5-6 ACDF. While ACDF's are "major surgery", they are routine for spine surgeons. The C6-7 disk will be removed (from in front), a shaped piece of donor bone put in its place, and the C6 and C7 vertebrae permanently clamped together. Repeat process one level higher if a C5-6 is also being done. You will lose some range-of-motion, but probably less than 20%, even if two levels are done.

The numbness in your fingers is caused by compression of your C6 nerve root (and/or C7). Assuming the compression is being caused by the herniated and ossified disks, then the ACDF will take care of it.

The numbness and pain farther down COULD be caused by indentation of the cord at C6-7, although you may also have problems in your lumbar spine. I would strongly recommend a lumbar MRI.

You need to follow up on this as soon as you can. I really don't see what the internist has to offer. You need a surgeon.

All of the above are the opinions of an "experienced amateur". The neurosurgeon will know best...

Last edited by WebDozer; 12-14-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Glad to see you here..........

hugs..........Jen

Old 12-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
    kabatron
    (female)

kabatron HB User

Are you serious? That is terrifying!!! I'm going to cry for a little bit and I'll be back.

Closed Thread