It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• How do you test cervical nerves C1-C4?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
    StayGolden
    (female)

StayGolden HB User
    How do you test cervical nerves C1-C4?

How do you test cervical nerves C1-C4? I have results for C5 and down but I don't have results for C1-C4 on my EMG/NCV. What did your doc do? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: How do you test cervical nerves C1-C4?

First, there are no cervical nerves between C1 and 2....so no testing there.

The nerves at C2-3 go to the scalp and area over the throat, C3-4 go to the back of the neck and wrap around you like a scarf might, going down in the front, and C4-5 goes over the back of the shoulder area and then wraps around the chest above the armpit level.

I imagine they can do am EMG of those areas but would try to avoid it if not necessary as getting a pin in the face might be disturbing. But they can test reflexes and all sorts of others things that they do to test for problems with the cranial nerves. I would think that the problem they need to work on with you is not just the left side of your face but the left arm as well since you neck problem is on the right side. Our bodies are not just controlled by the spine but by the brain itself so if it's not the spine, then they need to look at the brain.

And here's the kicker......what our brain can cause, our emotions can duplicate as they are in the brain as well. That is why so many docs want to say "it's all in your head". I've seen hysterical paralysis of both legs in someone and hysterical blindness in another. I've talked to more than a few people here who have had such tremendous anxiety that they have a particular disease that the brain develops the symptoms just from the anxiety. We've even had people here who have all the signs of a nerve problem in an arm except the problem was much lower down and didn't affect the arm at all....but they thought it did.

So the docs will need to start testing and waiting and wondering what on earth is going on. And don't get upset if they wonder if it's your anxiety...they've seen it too. And I know they hope it's anxiety as that can be treated but some neurological diseases can't....so don't get angry if they think that....it's a good sign that they aren't finding anything really bad. If given the choice of a really bad neuro disease or hysteria from anxiety...I'll take the anxiety any day.

But something is affecting your left side and they need to figure out what, if anything. Stroke? Lesion? Aneurysm as Marcia had? Inflamed nerve? Inflamed blood vessel? A million other things? I have rheumatoid arthritis and it affects my brain in the form of inflamed blood vessels that screw up my vision.

Sooner or later you either get enough symptoms that they can finally see what is going wrong or it will get better and go away and you may never know what caused it. Or it could stay the same and they may never know why? That is why they call medicine an "art" and not just a "science" because often they have no idea what is going on with someone.

Wish I could help you more but this is one for the really top docs.

Jen

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
    StayGolden (12-15-2011)
    Closed Thread