It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervical stenosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
    Nanacan
    (female)

Nanacan HB UserNanacan HB UserNanacan HB User
    Talking Cervical stenosis

Anybody that's had cervical surgery or going to have it, any insight? I'm 46, had lumbar fusion 10 years ago- didn't get a lot of relief from it. Have had lot of pain in my neck for last couple of years, pm dr. Sent me to a neurosurgeon cause he said my back was in bad shape & needed to see what he said about my neck. The last couple MRI I had on my neck they kept mentioning something about fluid inside my spinal canal. This neurosurgeon did his own MRI & looked at the films. He said I had a cyst in my spinal canal because my spinal canal had compressed down to about 9 mm& your spinal cord is usually about 10mm. So I guess I can do the math. Lol anyway he said if I don't have the surgery I would probably end up paralyzed. I've been waking up & both if my arms & hands are tingling really bad like their asleep. Just always said I would not let them cut on my neck. Had a friend that had it & they messed up her vocal cords. The neurosurgeon I'm seeing in Houston is supposed to be one of the best. But even so it's very scary. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Cervical stenosis

Nanacan - This thread is full of people who have had their necks cut into, and we've had pretty much the full range of both problems and surgical solutions. I've had three different surgeries myself, all of them successes <knock wood>.

PLEASE post your radiologist's report (which accompanies the MRI), and we can give you a good explanation of what's going on and what can be done about it.

Lots of people would do almost anything to avoid surgery and there's no doubt that things CAN go wrong. Still, oftentimes surgery is not just the best solution, it is the ONLY solution.

BTW, you are SUPPOSED to have fluid in your spinal canal. It's when you no longer have enough space for that fluid (as may be so in your case) that you should worry.

Last edited by WebDozer; 12-17-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
    Nanacan
    (female)

Thanks for the comments webdozer. I guess you can tell I'm new to this site. Not. Sure how to navigate around yet. Unfortunately I didn't get a copy if my last MRI- stupid they just caught me by surprise, wasn't expecting to hear that my spinal cord was compressed I know the dx was syringomyelia & syringobulbia. He said that the cyst had formed because the fluid didn't have room to move & it had " burrowed a pocket " & he possibly wouldnt be able to remove it. He also said that there was already a tear in my spinal canal. I have surgery scheduled for Jan. 10th. He said it needed to be done right away.( I wanted to wait till after Christmas) I've had the pain for quite a long time-wouldn't have the surgery probably for the pain but he said he wasn't doing it for the pain- he feels if I don't do it the chances are high I would end up paralyzed. I have been having a lot of symptoms that I didn't use to have. Such as both arms & hands being tingly to where I'm scared to drive. And also have dropped stuff quite a bit lately.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Certainly seems that you need the surgery. What, exactly, do they propose to do?

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    Nanacan (12-17-2011)
    Old 12-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
    joaneeo
    Inactive
    (female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User

The cervical spinal canal is normally 14-17 mm. <10 is considered absolute stenosis.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
    Nanacan
    (female)

He said he was going to do a fusion at c4-5 & c6-7. Just getting a little scared now be because of the tingling in both arms & hands. Even tho' he said he's not doing it for the pain, I sure hope it helps the pain!

Old 12-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
    Nanacan
    (female)

Hey I seen a few different post talking about anterior vs posterior cervical surgery. My doctor said he was going thru the side of my neck. Is this considered anterior, posterior or something different?

Closed Thread