It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Anterior Cervical Fusion Repair and Posterior Fusion C2-T1

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
    women51
    (female)

women51 HB User
    Anterior Cervical Fusion Repair and Posterior Fusion C2-T1

Has anyone out there recovered or had as complex of an operation as what I did? Currently, I am 4 weeks post surgery, wearing the hard collar 24/7, lots of pain, and still taking pain meds.

I am concerned about my final outcome. I am currently on long term disability and was told to apply for SSDI due to my restrictions and being over the age of 50.

Is there anyone out there that has fully recovered from a posterior fusion C2-T1? If so, how long did the recovery take? What is your final outcome? Restrictions?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Anterior Cervical Fusion Repair and Posterior Fusion C2-T1

I had a C3-T1 fusion at age 55. Recovery took a long time and I have restrictions but can pick up my grandkids and do most of what I need to. If they included your C2(sometimes it starts just below C2) then you have almost no head movement and you can't drive but if it starts at C3, you will have about 50% of ROM and can drive again. Most docs try to preserve that motion and don't include C2 of they can avoid it.

I was on pain meds until about 8 weeks post op and got into a soft collar at 7 weeks post-op. The muscles spasms created more pain than anything else so I've been on and off muscle relaxers since. However, since my surgery was necessitated by a broken neck, my situation is a little different.

But now, 5 years later, the neck is not bad at all and if I wasn't on SSDI, I've probably look for a little part-time job somewhere but I NEED my Medicare so badly I don't dare try and it is just now that I have been able to make it through the day without having to lie down due to pain.

I started PT 3 weeks after surgery to get my shoulders going and then they added neck exercises as my collar came off. But I had paralysis to my left side so I am still in and out of PT to this day and my doc tells me I will need PT for the rest of my life. I did run into a nurse at the hospital who was C3 to T2 and she was working full time.

It is a long recovery but I bet you come out of it better than you think you will. If you check the tread by Ariz4me, you'll see she is also about 4 weeks with C3 to T2 and I think another person is bout the same (Steve?) on that same thread.

If you see threads by Saucer, she is C2-T2 and has lost about 75% of her head motion. So there are many of us here.

hugs..............Jenny

Old 12-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
    women51
    (female)

women51 HB User
    Smile Re: Anterior Cervical Fusion Repair and Posterior Fusion C2-T1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
    I had a C3-T1 fusion at age 55. Recovery took a long time and I have restrictions but can pick up my grandkids and do most of what I need to. If they included your C2(sometimes it starts just below C2) then you have almost no head movement and you can't drive but if it starts at C3, you will have about 50% of ROM and can drive again. Most docs try to preserve that motion and don't include C2 of they can avoid it.

I was on pain meds until about 8 weeks post op and got into a soft collar at 7 weeks post-op. The muscles spasms created more pain than anything else so I've been on and off muscle relaxers since. However, since my surgery was necessitated by a broken neck, my situation is a little different.

But now, 5 years later, the neck is not bad at all and if I wasn't on SSDI, I've probably look for a little part-time job somewhere but I NEED my Medicare so badly I don't dare try and it is just now that I have been able to make it through the day without having to lie down due to pain.

I started PT 3 weeks after surgery to get my shoulders going and then they added neck exercises as my collar came off. But I had paralysis to my left side so I am still in and out of PT to this day and my doc tells me I will need PT for the rest of my life. I did run into a nurse at the hospital who was C3 to T2 and she was working full time.

It is a long recovery but I bet you come out of it better than you think you will. If you check the tread by Ariz4me, you'll see she is also about 4 weeks with C3 to T2 and I think another person is bout the same (Steve?) on that same thread.

If you see threads by Saucer, she is C2-T2 and has lost about 75% of her head motion. So there are many of us here.

hugs..............Jenny
    Good morning Jenny,

It was nice getting a reply to your message this morning to help answer my questions. You raise a good question regarding whether or not my fusion starts at C2 to C3. I am going to obtain my surgical report to find out the information. My surgeon told me prior to the surgery that he was going anteriorly to take out the hardware from an old failed fusion at C5-C7 and to do a C2 diskectomy. Then he said he was going posteriorly to do a fusion from C2-T1. He said that I would not have anymore restricted movements then what I already had with being in excessive pain. Now prior to surgery I was driving and accomodated my neck movements by turning my whole body.

I guess that I am a little anxious when it comes to my recovery with only being 4 weeks post op. I do see the surgeon at 6 weeks post op to see how my fusion has taken place. It is my understanding that he is keeping me in the hard collar for another 6 weeks after the follow-up appointment before switching to a soft collar. He appears to be quite conservative when it comes to PT because he won't start it until I am 6 months post op. I know at that point I will really need help with my neck muscles and shoulder muscles. Currently, I work with my shoulders and do some light stretching to reduce the spasms between my shoulder blades.

It was also good news to hear that there is someone near my age that has gone through the same thing. I am 51 years of age and a single mother of sons ages 17 & 19. My youngest graduates this year and he is off to college. I will then me with an empty nest. I am not in any long term relationship and worry about my disability and its affects on dating and possible marriage. I have been divorced for 8 years and hope to eventually remarry.

I currently am getting LTD and have applied for SSDI. The LTD Carrier has hired an attorney on my behalf to help me through the process of getting approved for SSDI, which I know is a long process with many getting rejected the first time.

I am a Registered Nurse with a Masters Degree that has worked in executive management for the last 15 years. Due to my auto accident, my employer let me go since I was not able to do the management responsiblities of my job. Plus, I didn't have a year in employment with this employer to have my job protected. I am hoping in the long run that I can do a part time job working out of my home.

I will definitely follow-up and additional people you recommended who had the same thing.

Thanks Jenny and have a good day.

Closed Thread