It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
    captn302
    (male)

captn302 HB User
    Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy

In August, 2011 I woke up with pain in my upper back. The pain then spread to my right index and middle fingers as well as the tricep area. After living with it and trying Chiropractic I went to my family Dr. One MRI later and off to a neuro surgeon (NS1). NS1 perscribed cortisone shots (i had 3 some reults) and PT. Iwas back to about 80% when I relapsed in December. NS1 said my only option was the ACDF of the C6-C7. He ruled out artifical disk replacement and posterior cervical foraminotomy (PCF) saying PCF did not get the desired resluts. He did not like artifical discs either.

I went to get a 2nd opinion. NS2 did not like the idea of ACDF and felt the posterior foraminotomy was the best option. NS2 said he had a professional disagreement with NS1 on the foraminotomy. NS1 was a mentor to NS2 when NS2 was doing a neurosurgey fellowship. Both have published papers. NS2 says my herniation is in the right spot for this procedure and he just needs to widen the canal and can shave off the offending disc. NS2 says I can run, golf, bike and do all the fun things I used to. NS2 says there is no guarantee how long this will last but whatever time I get will be better than having a titanium plate in my neck.

I have done all my pre-op tests plus a fresh MRI. I have the posterior foraminotomy scheduled for 01/10/2012.

Anyone want to talk me out of it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy

Not me, although I certainly want to hear how it goes. I would say that the single-level ACDF is no big deal and having a plate in your neck isn't either, especially if it's only one level.

I have had single-level ACDF (C3-4), followed seven years later by a C5 PCF (for osteophytes, not the disk), followed eight years later by a C4-6 laminoplasty. All three successful (knock wood)...

I think the ACDF is the established procedure for this, and the more permanent fix. That disk can come back, although it might not, or it might take a long time. While PCF's for osteophytes are long-established, I don't know how well-established PCF's for disk protrusions are. Hopefully, NS2 doesn't want to practice on you. I'm sure you can do some research and find out how well they work. If PCF's seem like a good - albeit possibly less permanent - solution, I would go that way, as that surgery is a heck of a lot less invasive (probably outpatient).

Just my amateur opinions, I hope you realize...

Last edited by WebDozer; 12-29-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
    captn302
    (male)

captn302 HB User

Thanks for the opinion. Anything to ward off the interior hardware as long as possible.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

<<Anything to ward off the interior hardware as long as possible. >>

Your choice, but I would not be very concerned about a single-level ACDF, hardware and all.

Closed Thread

Tags
    c6-c7 surgery, discectomy, pcf