It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Frustrated!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
    pebblebeach2
    Inactive
    (male)

pebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB User
    Frustrated!!!!

Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted. But here is my story and what is going on.

Surgeries:

- 1994 lumbar laminectomy; surgery
    - 1995 cervical stenosis; surgery
    - 1997 lumbar surgery for flatback; harrington rods
    - 2000 cervical surgery for kyphosis; harrington rods in cervical/thoracic
    - 2003 surgery left leg for blod clot
    - 2005 spinal cord stimulator implanted
    - 2007 surgery pancreas for pancreactic cancer, got it in time
    - 2010 surgery to remove spinal cord stimulator

other conditions:
    - absent left kidney congenital
    - kidney disease right kidney
    - numbness left leg from knee down
    - cervical pain radiating pain into shoulders
    - myelomalacia of cervical area
    - spinal cord atrophy at c6/7
    - diabetic

Doctors are afraid to touch the neck due to health issues; diabetes kidney issue and also getting to the cervical area would require going thru sternum

I was put on Tizanidine 1/2 tablet in morning and 1/2 in afternoon. Full tablet at night. Plus oxycodone. I can take 1-2 tablets at night--5 mg. tablets.

The medication is hardly doing anything. Makes me somewhat tired, but I am still up half the night. And at times severe pain; especially after a long day.

I am frustrated as to how little I feel it has done for me. I still can't sleep right; still in major pain at times. I am not functioning at times.

I don't know what to do at this point. I feel like there is nothing that they can do for me. And that I may have to live the rest of my life in pain and not functioning. Not knowing from day to day as to what I can or can't do. I feel helpless.

Any suggestions. Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: Frustrated!!!!

If you are in chronic pain, are you seeing a PM doctor? I don't see that you have a LA med. I'm on Long Acting (LA) medication (MS Contin) with Percocet for break through pain, Soma and Neurontin as well. I'm on Long Term Disability (LTD) from my job and in the midst of the SS process (denied at initial and reconsideration, waiting for ALJ hearing). If SS is awarded, anything i get from SS is deducted from my LTD.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 12-30-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
    pebblebeach2
    Inactive
    (male)

pebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB User

I have been thru the pain management route. Never any luck with them. Seems like all they wanted to do were epidurals and that for me at least is ineffective.
    I thought the oxycodone was supposed to be long lasting. I take it at bed every night rather then every 4 hours.

been on tons of other meds over the years neurontin included and nothing seems to be working.

I have been on SSDI for about 8 years now. Haven't worked since 2003 at which time i was on short term disability and then ssdi.

Not sure if there are any answers. tired of looking and getting the same advice. I forgot mention in the 1st post that an EMG was done and showed severe nerve damage in the neck; severe nerve damage in lumbar region' severe arthritis in neck and low back and neuropathy from the diabetes.

Seeing a neurologist at this point. Seeing him again in about 2 weeks or so. See what he says at that point.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I take MS Contin every 8 hr. To be an effective LA medication it has to be taken exactly as prescribed so as to keep a therapeutic level of medication in the body. There is only one LA med I'm aware of that supposedly lasts 24 hr, but it's new and brand name (starts with an A I think). It's only for those who have not has success with other LA meds such as MS Contin, Kadian, Oxycontin, etc.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
    purplelcr
    (female)

purplelcr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
    I take MS Contin every 8 hr. To be an effective LA medication it has to be taken exactly as prescribed so as to keep a therapeutic level of medication in the body. There is only one LA med I'm aware of that supposedly lasts 24 hr, but it's new and brand name (starts with an A I think). It's only for those who have not has success with other LA meds such as MS Contin, Kadian, Oxycontin, etc.
    Hi, my name is Leanne, and username purplelcr. The med that you take for 24 hrs is Avinza. It is Morpine, the only precaution is with any surgery that you may have to have to make sure there is a plan to avoid withdrawals. I took it for several years, started wtih 30mg, and went up to 60. It worked well for me. The reason I came off of it was that in 2010 I had surgery and had withdrawals from it just after 24 hours without it. I finally changed over to MS Contin 30 mg every 12 hrs. I just found out I have 2 new herniations. I found out that I have a huge herniation at c4c5, and have a herniation at L4L5. I Have a consultation again with my neurosurgeon next week. I had a cervical fusion in 2001 and have had chronic pain since then. I attempted a spinal cord stimulatior, but was unsuccessful. I am telling you all this to let you know that you may want to give the Avinza a try. It helped me while I was on it. I know some other patients that have been on Duragesic patches which start initially at 25mcg and stay on for 72 hrs before changing. Good luck. You mentioned you had surgery for spinal stenosis. Is that the only treatment they offered you for the stenosis. That is what my MRI states and was wondering if that is what I may expect. Thanks....... Leanne

Old 12-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
    joaneeo
    Inactive
    (female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
    When I first started having problems the PT was the only one that told me that I needed to take the medications on a regular basis so that the pain doesn't take control of me. That was the problem and why the meds never worked for me. I was never able to get the pain under control because it was bad to begin with even if I did as directed on the bottle.

I'm so glad to have found this place because I've gotten great information that no one else gave me.

Closed Thread