It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• neck braces, pillows etc for acdf surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
    Pwalla57
    (female)

Pwalla57 HB User
    neck braces, pillows etc for acdf surgery

When do you buy neck braces, pillows etc for acdf surgery or do they give them to you at the hospital. If not how do you get your insurance company to pay for them. Does your NS write a RX to a surgical supply beforehand?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
    frenchfri1003
    (female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User
    Re: neck braces, pillows etc for acdf surgery

My OSS gave me the script for a hard and soft collar. I then went to a surgical supply store that the OSS told me about. They measured my neck height and girth. They then tried on a few models and had me put them on and off. They were then ordered. I picked them up prior to surgery and brought them with me to the hospital. It was recommended that you write your last name in sharpie marker somewhere on the collar. You should ask for extra sock type sleeves for the soft collar as they get very dirty. If you have a hard collar than you want extra pads. I only used the hard collar for a week and then for showering since it was plastic. I then used the soft collar. Other items to have at home: stool softener, all meds, all liquids in smaller bottles. I used small water bottles for milk for my coffee, water, juice ...All different types of soft foods: oatmeal, applesauce, yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream, sorbet, mashed potatoes, soup,... Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to frenchfri1003 For This Useful Post:
    Pwalla57 (01-01-2012)
    Old 01-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
    joaneeo
    Inactive
    (female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frenchfri1003 View Post
    My OSS gave me the script for a hard and soft collar. I then went to a surgical supply store that the OSS told me about. They measured my neck height and girth. They then tried on a few models and had me put them on and off. They were then ordered. I picked them up prior to surgery and brought them with me to the hospital. It was recommended that you write your last name in sharpie marker somewhere on the collar. You should ask for extra sock type sleeves for the soft collar as they get very dirty. If you have a hard collar than you want extra pads. I only used the hard collar for a week and then for showering since it was plastic. I then used the soft collar. Other items to have at home: stool softener, all meds, all liquids in smaller bottles. I used small water bottles for milk for my coffee, water, juice ...All different types of soft foods: oatmeal, applesauce, yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream, sorbet, mashed potatoes, soup,... Good luck
    Thanks for the information. I forgot about ice cream and mashed potatoes!

Out of curiosity, how much is a hard collar?

Last edited by joaneeo; 01-01-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
    frenchfri1003
    (female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User
    Wink Re: neck braces, pillows etc for acdf surgery

I got a script from the OSS for the hard and soft collar. It didn't cost me anything for either collar. I think it was considered durable medical equipment. When I got the bone growth stimulator that was totally covered also as well as the TENS unit which helps with muscle spasms.Any other questions feel free to ask.

The Following User Says Thank You to frenchfri1003 For This Useful Post:
    Pwalla57 (01-03-2012)
    Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
    capatga
    (female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

everything that I got was paid for by my insurance ,I even got to keep my bone stimulater, I think they cost about 4 thousand dollars

Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
    joaneeo
    Inactive
    (female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User

I went for my preop today at the NS and got a script for a Miami J collar-cost about $280 but I'll get reimbursed from my Dad's insurance company since the injury was caused by a car accident in May.

So I guess that answered my question on how much they cost!

The Following User Says Thank You to joaneeo For This Useful Post:
    Nanacan (01-05-2012)
    Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
    Nanacan
    (female)

Nanacan HB UserNanacan HB UserNanacan HB User

Does anybody have any suggestions about type of pillows to get? I already need new ones anyway but my neck always hurts so much that I can't find one I like. But maybe after surgery I won't hurt as much & want to get the right kind of pillow so I can sleep at night. Thanks

Old 01-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
    joaneeo
    Inactive
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nanacan View Post
    Does anybody have any suggestions about type of pillows to get? I already need new ones anyway but my neck always hurts so much that I can't find one I like. But maybe after surgery I won't hurt as much & want to get the right kind of pillow so I can sleep at night. Thanks
    Memory foam or cervical pillow from what I understand. I won't be sleeping in my bed though-I've been sleeping in a recliner for the past 7 months because I can't sleep in the bed because of the pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to joaneeo For This Useful Post:
    Nanacan (01-05-2012)
    Closed Thread