It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• disc herniation at c5-6 and c6-7

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
    rachel0926
    (female)

rachel0926 HB User
    disc herniation at c5-6 and c6-7

I'm 25 y/o and have been told in the past that I have scoliosis...(this was just by an ortho looking at my shoulders; it was actually an appt for my son & he pointed this out just by looking at me) Anyway...no tests/xrays/nothing...I just kinda forgot about it...

and now (5 years later) due to both of my hands going numb, (and I was diagnosed with bilateral carpal tunnel) my dr ordered a cervical mri and I just got the results today...they are also going to do a study on me for possible thoracic outlet syndrome....I don't know...am I going to need surgery? Is this as bad as it sounds? someone please help me interpret this mri!

here's what it says:
    c5-6: focal left paracentral disc herniation. Disc material extends for 3 or 4mm from the vertebral body border and is flattening the left side of the thecal sac and the left side of the spinal cord, but there is still CSF around the spinal cord and in the nerve root sleeves

c6-7: focal right paracentral disc herniation. disc material extends 3 or 4mm from the vertebral body border and is flattening the thecal sac and the right side of the spinal cord. There is still CSF around the cord dorsally and in the nerve root sleeves

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: disc herniation at c5-6 and c6-7

Rachel...glad you found us. To answer your question from the Back board, the extra stuff you added had no bearing on the MRI.

But I know you'll get a second "interpretation" of your MRI here and we all know a second or even a third opinion is always best for all of us!

hugs...........Jenny

Old 01-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
    rachel0926
    (female)

rachel0926 HB User

thanks so much, sweetie...I'm glad i found this website..it's so nice to not be the only one with these issues..I don't feel so alone now

Old 01-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I must say, that's a very odd report. An IDENTICAL MALFORMATION at two adjacent levels, but one biased to the RIGHT and the other to the LEFT? I have never seen anything like that.

There are a couple of things I would want to know from the radiologist...

1) Is that REALLY what you meant to say?

2) When you say there is still CSF around the cord, does it go ALL THE WAY around the cord? Because if the protrusions are flattening the cord, they should have effaced (pushed aside) the CSF where the protrusions are. If that CSF has been effaced, what's the point of even mentioning that there's CSF around the rest of the cord?

3) What about the foraminal openings (for the peripheral nerves leaving the cord)? Are they all open?

As for the supposed carpal tunnel, have they proven that it's carpal tunnel, and have they ruled out spinal problems?

I guess, since you think the hand problems are carpal tunnel, but you got the cervical MRI anyway, there are other symptoms?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
    rachel0926
    (female)

rachel0926 HB User

I guess I could ask him if thats what he meant to say..b/c it does seem a bit odd, I suppose. Perhaps, my scoliosis has something to with the whole left AND right thing (from the curvature).

I do have bilateral carpal tunnel (had a nerve conduction velocity and it was confirmed). I don't really experience neck pain...strange, huh? You can look at me and clearly see my shoulders are uneven(from the scoliosis)...I don't know! I am so confused...I think they did the cervical mri b/c all of the sudden, 4 out of 5 fingers were numb on both hands for no reason..anyway, my dr said that could be from something wrong in my neck.

and in reply to your other questions about my mri results, I wrote exactly what my mri report said-verbatim! I didn't know they went in to so much detail. I wish they would have been more precise :/ and what the hell is "dorsal"? lol

Old 01-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

It is confusing, for sure. I thought about the scoliosis as a cause for the reversal of the disk protrusion from left to right, but it's hard to believe that so much would happen just going from one vertebra to the next.

I think the 4-out-of-5-fingers does rather point to a cervical problem, so I understand why they did the MRI. Are you getting a follow-up?

dorsal = back
    ventral = front

OK, now I see it... he said the CSF is still around the cord "dorsally", so by implication it is NOT around the cord ventrally, which makes sense, as the disk protrusion would have to push it away before it could flatten the cord.

BTW, that cord "flattening" could be anywhere from innocuous (for now) to quite serious. The radiologist didn't say anything about the extent to which it is flattened, which he really should have done. If you get a follow-up appointment, hopefully, the doc can look at the images and see for himself.

Last edited by WebDozer; 01-06-2012 at 05:19 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    rachel0926 (01-06-2012)
    Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
    rachel0926
    (female)

rachel0926 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
    I must say, that's a very odd report. An IDENTICAL MALFORMATION at two adjacent levels, but one biased to the RIGHT and the other to the LEFT? I have never seen anything like that.

There are a couple of things I would want to know from the radiologist...

1) Is that REALLY what you meant to say?

2) When you say there is still CSF around the cord, does it go ALL THE WAY around the cord? Because if the protrusions are flattening the cord, they should have effaced (pushed aside) the CSF where the protrusions are. If that CSF has been effaced, what's the point of even mentioning that there's CSF around the rest of the cord?

3) What about the foraminal openings (for the peripheral nerves leaving the cord)? Are they all open?

As for the supposed carpal tunnel, have they proven that it's carpal tunnel, and have they ruled out spinal problems?

I guess, since you think the hand problems are carpal tunnel, but you got the cervical MRI anyway, there are other symptoms?

Closed Thread