It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• HELP continued symptoms numbness/tingling worse

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
    braycine
    (female)

braycine HB User
    HELP continued symptoms numbness/tingling worse

Hello all.
    I am posting here because of all the experience of the members here, I am hoping that maybe some of you can help or hopefully reassure me that I am not insane. As I am certainly starting to feel a little or alot crazy.

Last september I had an acdf of c5-6. My neurosurgeon said this one had to be fixed now because it had massively effected my cord. Before surgery I was having pretty severe pain in my right arm and shoulder for quite a long time, I had seen a neurosurgeon because of the numbness and tingling in my right arm.

After surgery the pain was somewhat better, but the numbness and tingling was dramtically better.

Now I am back to where i was or actually worse. My right arm, sholder area, collarbone area, back of my neck and base of my skull is tingly and numb feeling. I have an area that goes from my shoulder to my palm on innerside of elbow that burns and tingles severely. I am getting headaches in the back of my head like I have never felt before. My shoulder feels like glass that may shatter. My right arm even though it feels all the above feels like it is dead or like it isnt apart of me. I seem to be having a hard time getting it to do what I want it to. The tingling runs down my back on the right of my spine, it feels tingly and "cold". I am also having trouble with my legs.

sometimes I feel so stiff that it is hard to move. These problems are all worse it seems if I lean forward or bend my head. Like right now I am having trouble cooridnating the movement in my right hand it is tingling heavy and burning cold.

Here are my mri results from before surgery

reversal of normal cervical lordosis and mild disc desiccation from c2-3 thru c6-7
    c2-3reveals a moderate uncal vertebral hypertrophy resulting in moderate neural foraminal stenosis bilaterally

c3-4 there is a mild uncal vertebral hypertrophy without significant neural foraminal stenosis

c4-5 there is a large right paracentral disc protrusion abutting the cord. there is also moderate left neural foraminal narrowing and moderate-large right neural foraminal narrowing at this level.

c5-6 there is a large left paracentral disc protrusion which severely effects the cord this contributes to moderate left neural foraminal narrowing. There is also moderate right neural foraminal narrowing

c6-7 there is a small posterior disc osteophyte complex without significant canal stenosis. there is a moderate left neural foraminal narrowing at this level.

My surgeon had said that I should of been having more symptoms on the left, at time of surgery I had just started getting numbness to my left arm, but all of my symptoms have always been on right side.
    At 6 months I was fused very well.

Any help/like experiences
    My surgeon has moved so I need a new one

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: HELP continued symptoms numbness/tingling worse

""My surgeon has moved so I need a new one ""

Huh... I wonder why he moved? Well, NO DOUBT you needed a new one, anyway.
    Too bad, though, because you should get the chance to take him the radiologist's report and ask him what part of this sentence

""c4-5 there is a large right paracentral disc protrusion abutting the cord. ""

he doesn't understand. Good grief.... a LARGE protrusion that's ABUTTING the cord, and he didn't do anything about it, even though he was already doing the next level down????

I suppose it's pretty clear to you that either

1) He botched the surgery. That is, something was fixed but came loose.
    or
    2) The surgery wasn't extensive enough, and should have dealt with C4-5 too.
    or
    3) C4-5 has somehow gotten dramatically worse in the last four months

My completely amateur opinion is that (2) is by far the most likely.

There's really no mystery about what you need to do, though. Get to another surgeon (really, minimum two, better three) and get another MRI..... AND X-RAY. In fact, if the surgeon appointments slow things down, see if you can get another doc (GP or Ortho?) to take the X-ray and order the MRI.

Last edited by WebDozer; 01-07-2012 at 11:51 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    braycine (01-07-2012)
    Old 01-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
    braycine
    (female)

braycine HB User

thank you.
    actually was afraid of that (those) scenarios.

What upsets me is we were doing the surgery in an emergency due to the "mass effect" on the cord. I had said please if you get in there and feel anything else needs done please do it. I was off of work and am the only income and needed to get this done and fixed and back to work.

I was not a great advocate for myself at the time and as you can imagine greatly regret this. I just needed to desparately get back to work.

I have an appt with an ortho so he can look at my shoulder so I will also have him look at my neck.

what I recall my surgeon saying after surgery is "you probably were in alot of pain you were a mess back there" so now I think if 5-6 was a mess what did 4-5 look like.

I do appreciate you responding at this point I feel lost scared and aggravated that I probably need more surgery I dont want and cant afford

any suggestions as for Physical Therapy, positioning.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

""I was not a great advocate for myself at the time""

I can relate. My first operation was also an emergency single-level ACDF. I understood nothing at the time, and nothing right up until I needed a second operation eight years later, when I finally started learning.

""I have an appt with an ortho so he can look at my shoulder so I will also have him look at my neck.""

Just make sure he understands your history. Tell him three times.

""what I recall my surgeon saying after surgery is "you probably were in alot of pain you were a mess back there" so now I think if 5-6 was a mess what did 4-5 look like.""

No kidding. I really don't see why he didn't start out intending to do a bi-level.

""more surgery I dont want and cant afford""

Oh well, if you NEED it, you can't afford NOT to have it, if that helps...

""any suggestions as for Physical Therapy, positioning""

Not from me. I'm not qualified and, besides, if you do get PT the prescription should have come from a doc with a brand-new X-ray and MRI. If the first doc prescribes PT, though, you still NEED to get another opinion. Some docs will postpone needed operations for years, like they think we're still in the 15th Century.

Good luck, get moving, and report back, OK?

Old 01-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
    braycine
    (female)

braycine HB User

Oh I'm sorry "re suggestions for pt or positioning" Oh I know I will need to see a dr. Some of my friends swear by physical therapy and some swear to never repeat. Some of my friends swear by certain sleeping positions. Right now when I have to wake up and get moving it is a task I dread. Once I'm up and moving I do better. Of course I reposition a hundred times a night. I've seen infomercials for pillows lol. I know my fix is not going to come from a pillow-although wouldn't that be nice.

Has anyone had any luck with pillows or positioning. Right now I sleep half inclined and uncomfortable, and to be honest on top of not being able to feel certain areas and then other areas feeling as if they are being set on fire, I also have not had a good nights rest.

and I guess maybe part of me is looking for the things I am doing to make it worse, if that makes sense, it is very difficult to feel this way day after day and I just keep thinking surely it has to improve if I could just do..........

I do thank you, and am sorry that you have gone thru similar... I never knew neck/back issues could cause such a variety of symptoms and the stress of feeling bad much of the time is well difficult.

Closed Thread