It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Post ACDF surgery 2 days out

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
    kabatron
    (female)

kabatron HB User
    Post ACDF surgery 2 days out

Help. I had my surgery two days ago and I feel like I am dying. I can't get my pain under control and the surgeons asst. Said there is nothing else she can do for me. I don't feel like she's doing enough. My husband called and asked for a different med and she said there isn't one aim taking 5 mg percocet and muscle relaxers. My husband described my symptoms and she said I may have a blood clot to go to the er. Nice, way to pile on to my stress. I need words of encouragement and suggestions for pain mgmt. I am aon at the verge of a panic attack I think. AND as I was leaving the hospital I was told other surgeries or more painful and that I better not fall down. I think these people are absolutely nuts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
    jas1964
    (female)

jas1964 HB Userjas1964 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Post ACDF surgery 2 days out

Since I haven't had my surgery yet I will try to talk you through the best I can. First of all try to relax (sorry best opening line I could use). Second, are you going to the ER? Because for one thing a blood clot is nothing you want to mess with and if it isn't a blood clot at least you have peace of mind and maybe they would give you some other type of pain medication. Third, have you stayed on top of your pain. What I mean are you taking the pain medications and muscle relaxers religiously as soon as you can. I know it usually says as needed but if it says something like take every 4 to 6 hours I would stay on top of it. Are you able to shower with the help of your husband. That may help settle things down or can you use ice? I am throwing out suggestions so I hope something may help. Is the pain like severe muscle spasms? When I asked my NS why he prescribes me muscle relaxers after surgery he said because I may muscle spasms that can be bad for a week or so. Please keep me posted, i am thinking of you and praying things settle down and get better for you. Hang in there!

Last edited by jas1964; 01-12-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Change wording and added more

Old 01-13-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
    kabatron
    (female)

kabatron HB User
    Re: Post ACDF surgery 2 days out

Thanks for the helpful advice. I was not prepared for this amount of pain. I've had surgery before. I am hoping that yesterday was the worst of it. I am pretty sure I have the lowest pain tolerance of anyone on the planet. It is so helpful to know that folks like you are out there to talk to. I hope I can return the favor.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
    Nanacan
    (female)

Nanacan HB UserNanacan HB UserNanacan HB User
    Unhappy Re: Post ACDF surgery 2 days out

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kabatron View Post
    Help. I had my surgery two days ago and I feel like I am dying. I can't get my pain under control and the surgeons asst. Said there is nothing else she can do for me. I don't feel like she's doing enough. My husband called and asked for a different med and she said there isn't one aim taking 5 mg percocet and muscle relaxers. My husband described my symptoms and she said I may have a blood clot to go to the er. Nice, way to pile on to my stress. I need words of encouragement and suggestions for pain mgmt. I am aon at the verge of a panic attack I think. AND as I was leaving the hospital I was told other surgeries or more painful and that I better not fall down. I think these people are absolutely nuts.
    Don't know if i can help with the pain, but I can definitely feel your pain as of today I also am 3 day post ACDF on 2 levels. Almost all the tingling is gone from my hands & arms. But as far as pain I felt worse the second day & a little bit worse today. But it is mostly extreme soreness ( which is different than what I felt before) thru my shoulders & upper back. Is your throat really bad? Because mine is! I have a cough & everytime I cough I feel like I'm ripping my throat out. I seen your taking percocet , all they gave me was ultram! But I had my meds from before my surgery so I'm taking them too. I have to say I don't notice much improvement when I take them.ive been sleeping in the recliner most of the night cause it feels better, but when I wake up I'm so stiff I can hardly move. So anyway don't have a lot advice for you( maybe somebody on here will give us both some lol) just wanted to tell you, I feel your pain! Lol

Old 01-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I'm doing really well this week...I don't even know what date it is today...

Kabatron, the second day after surgery is always the worst, pain wise. They should have told you that. Once you get past that, it's all up hill. But if you let your pain get out of control on day 2, it's hard to get it back under control for a few days.

Take the pain meds and muscle relaxers in whatever hourly increments they say you can, whether or not your hurt.....the goal is to stay comfortable and not let the pain break through.

Use ice to help reduce swelling. Remember, you'll have swelling around the nerves that were just released by the surgery so expect the numbness and tingling to return and then go and then return and so on.

Sitting up in a nice chair or recliner does help, especially if you can sleep in one...it drains the swelling away from your neck whereas laying down may make it settle in the neck and cause more pain.

Eat ice cream...the cold feels good on the throat. I didn't have an ACDF but others have told me that.

Sleep as much as you can. Sleep is healing and restorative and helps you cope with the pain. Sleep!

It will get better but remember that the course of recovery for a neck surgery is very up and down so expect steps forwards and backwards as you heal. And expect to find yourself feeling somewhat depressed as you heal...normal reaction to the intense and deep anesthesia you had.

REST, REST, REST..................Jenny's orders.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
    jas1964
    (female)

Jenny, I always love to see you on the board keep everyone going. Thanks to a veteran like you the new ones like us have someone to lean on. By the way its Friday the 13th!

Kabatron and nanacan - both of you hang in there. I am so nervous for my 2 level fusion on the 26th. Maybe I can sleep through day 2 and 3. I see one of you is from Iowa and one of you is Wisconsin. Perfect, I am in Minnesota so I think we should meet in the middle and have a big hug. I really am trying to brace myself and sometimes it is okay to know that my days will be sucky. I will keep my tissues close by for when I am crying. Kabatron, I am sure your pain tolerance is higher than you think. Cervical or an spine pain is horrible and only the person going through it knows how it feels. My hugs and prayers go out to all of you. Jenny is right about the ice, my surgeon gave me the heads up about icing the area for the swelling. I for sure need to buy some more ice packs before surgery. I dread the throat issues. Oh yeah, my surgeon says usually the next day everyone is fine and eating normal. Sometimes I wonder what bus they have fell off of as they think this is a walk in the park for the patients.

Take care everyone and keep posting.

The following user gives a hug of support to jas1964:
    Nanacan (01-14-2012)
    Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
    joaneeo
    Inactive
    (female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User

Hang in there! I had mine Wednesday and you MUST stay ahead of the pain like Jenny said even if you don't have any. Jenny said to use ice-I was told to use heat and my shoulder heating pad is so nice. Also, buy some cepacol lozenge-I just remembered I had some and it helps the sore throat.

But I'm taking my meds every 6 and 8 hours like they said and the pain hasn't gotten too bad. I'm also trying to keep a positive attitude which I know is really hard. Tomorrow I plan on taking a short stroll around the apartment building. I don't plan on letting the pain get the best of me this time!

Old 01-14-2012, 03:38 AM   #8
    Nanacan
    (female)

Boy I love this board cause it's got people who've already been thru it & people that are right about where I am as for as post- op & pain! I had my surgery on Tuesday . Yesterday I ended up calling my ns cause when I woke up from surgery all the tingling & numbness was gone, but yesterday I started feeling like electric shocks in my arms- anyway nurse said it was normal. As for walking, I'm staying at my parents house & he pastors a church so they have a big parking lot so I have been walking around the parking lot in my housecoat & pjs. I bet the church people drive by & think there's that crazy lady again walking around in her housecoat. Lol

Last edited by Administrator; 02-24-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:47 AM   #9
    kabatron
    (female)

kabatron HB User

Thanks for all of the great advice and support. I am better at handling the pain now as it's getting a little better every day. My chest and throat and back hurt so much. I sleep all the time. I don't understand why my surgeon downplayed the surgery so much. He's an excellent surgeon but he told me on day #2 that he performs surgeries that are much more painful than mine. That info only made me feel crazy because I was really struggling. The advice to keep ahead of the pain really helped. I was takin the meds when I felt I needed them rather than every 4hours as prescribed. I honestly think wo this discussion board I'd be insane so thanks a lot for the advice. I like the idea of meeting in the middle of wi ia and mn for a group hug. One question I know everyone is different but how long will the healing take? I am hoping to feel better soon but the unknown is what scares me the most. I need a benchmark.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
    Nanacan
    (female)

@kabotron-Glad you made it over that hurdle! I am now 4 days post-op(i think) and woke up this morning very nauseated. Don't know why i didn't make sure he gave me some phenergan when i left the hospital!Other than that, like you I just have the REALLY sore throat & my shoulders & upper back hurt.But I wasn't too worried cause somebody on here said don't be surprised if one day is good, & the next one is bad! So I think i'm gonna survive!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
    jas1964
    (female)

Glad to hear you guys are still hanging in there. I could just cry thinking of my upcoming surgery. Heck, I have cried. I take it you guys are sleeping in recliners at night, am I right? From what I read and what I have heard the recliner becomes your friend. Kabatron my surgeon is doing the same think as far as down playing the surgery. Like you, I have a good surgeon but he leans back in the chair and acted like I was nuts when I voiced my concerns. I went in thinking 1 level and come out having to have a 2 level fusion. I wonder what patient ever told them it was simple because I don't know where they get the information from to base it on simple.

Take care and prayers out to everyone.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: jas1964
    joaneeo (01-16-2012),Nanacan (01-15-2012)
    Old 01-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Kabatron...some guidelines(even though I didn't have an ACDF).

After most surgeries involving the cutting or drilling of bone(that I've had a lot of), you'll see a significant drop in pain at 3 weeks and again at 6 weeks.

Swelling...My doc said ice but the truth is, you have to see which helps you the most. Some do better increasing the blood flow with heat and the extra blood helps to take away the extra fluid and some do better with ice to help to limit the amount of swelling. I tended to use both. Ice when I felt very swollen and heat to help take the fluid away when the swelling stopped increasing.

Pain....this is the hard issue. As you heal, the nerves that have been so compressed they were in danger of dying, are starting to come back to life and so the pain will get worse. YES...I SAID WORSE. They will begin to zap and tingle and then roar with pain as they start working properly again. If it is bad, ask about getting some Neurontin or Lyrica or Cymbalta to help modify the neuropathy. It will get better and they will go back to being normal(hopefully). There is never a guarantee that you will be pain free after surgery because no doc knows if the nerves will heal back to normal or stay in the painful damaged state. But without surgery, you are facing paralysis. Pain means the nerves are alive and kicking again and with time, should get better.

Fusing.....you should be fairly well along in the fusion process by 6-8 weeks(when you can take off the collar) but it isn't well fused until 6 months so you have to careful not to break the fusion. Don't fall! The fusion however isn't really strong until at least 1-2 years post-op. It takes the using of the neck to make the bone strong.

Sleep...if you find that you don't sleep too well, blame your pain meds(especially Dilaudid). You'll sleep better when off of them. The muscle relaxers will help you sleep so use them more than the pain meds.

The body heals best with lots of rest and some basic and regular exercise to help the muscles recover. So sleep a lot and walk daily once you have your sutures/staples/steri-strips off/out. For those of us in snow country, see if you have a warm PT pool nearby where you might be able to go walk in the warm water. It's great! Check your yellow pages for PT facilities that feature water therapy. Then get a script for pool PT if you can. Otherwise, walk on a treadmill or just stand and march in place.

And eat soft food but a balanced diet if you can. Take Vit. B Complex vitamins to help the nerves heal. Drink a lot....dehydration can make dizzy and weak and you don't need to fall.

This is the time when you focus on YOU. Give YOU TLC.

Jenny

Last edited by Administrator; 02-24-2012 at 12:01 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
    jas1964 (01-16-2012)
    Old 01-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
    jas1964
    (female)

Jenny thanks for the low down. Yep, I am in snow country and live 10 miles out of town so walking outside is not even an option. I am hoping to get my mom's treadmill over here but I will ask my NS what he would like me to do. I am sure he would be fine with it if someone were around to help me on and get me going at a nice slow speed. Again, thank you. I hope your feeling better to and taking care of the knee.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
    joaneeo
    Inactive
    (female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jas1964 View Post
    Glad to hear you guys are still hanging in there. I could just cry thinking of my upcoming surgery. Heck, I have cried. I take it you guys are sleeping in recliners at night, am I right? From what I read and what I have heard the recliner becomes your friend. Kabatron my surgeon is doing the same think as far as down playing the surgery. Like you, I have a good surgeon but he leans back in the chair and acted like I was nuts when I voiced my concerns. I went in thinking 1 level and come out having to have a 2 level fusion. I wonder what patient ever told them it was simple because I don't know where they get the information from to base it on simple.

Take care and prayers out to everyone.
    Don't cry Jas! I am sleeping in my recliner with that miami j collar and I am so comfortable! Please don't get upset-I'm on day 4 now and taking my pain meds as directed and the only time it flairs up is when I forget to. It's not a simple operation but believe me when I say taking it easy and not trying to do too much afterwards is the best way to heal

And take your meds as directed even if you don't have pain because that's how it stops if from popping up. Once you have pain it is very hard to control.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
    joaneeo
    Inactive
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kabatron View Post
    Thanks for all of the great advice and support. I am better at handling the pain now as it's getting a little better every day. My chest and throat and back hurt so much. I sleep all the time. I don't understand why my surgeon downplayed the surgery so much. He's an excellent surgeon but he told me on day #2 that he performs surgeries that are much more painful than mine.
    I'm glad you are feeling better It's weird how everyone is so different-my sore throat is almost gone and my chest never hurt.

My NS who is also a wonderful surgeon never told me something like that. Every surgery is different. Personally I wonder about some of these doctors and their bedside manner. I am so blessed that I have one such a wonderful one.

Closed Thread