It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 3 days post-op acdf

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
    Nanacan
    (female)

Nanacan HB UserNanacan HB UserNanacan HB User
    3 days post-op acdf

wanted to ask somebody thats had this surgery if ya'll had these same symptoms post-op. today I started feeling like"electric shocks" from my elbows to my hands. It is not the same tingling & numbness I had before surgery. Don't know really how to describe it, just feels like maybe those little hand buzzers that kids play with where they shake your hand & it gives you a little shock. I have dropped my cell phone a few times because when I get that feeling it kinda "jerks" my hand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
    Itralian1
    (male)

Itralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB User
    Re: 3 days post-op acdf

Hi I had all sorts of things going. it's most likely just nerves and I'm sure all of anethesia is most likely out of your body now! I am 39 days post op and I too went through alot of days like this. Scares the heck outta ya. It should subside and, If there is one thing I have learned and still are. Cervical recovery is anything but the norm I would have expected. I was advised to take vitamin b to hasten with nerve healing. Good advice I felt. If it makes you feel any better I have never felt the same pains, to the same degree I was feeling them.
    Prior to my surgery!! C5-C6 acdf My cord was badly flattened in this area! best to you and hang in there!

Old 01-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
    Nanacan
    (female)

@Itralion1 Thanks for your insight into this"journey". It helps getting on here & talking to people who are going thru this. I finally called the nurse yesterday about the shock feelings & like you said it was normal.Will try the vitamin e.Woke up nauseated today- was scared to death I was gonna throw up-if coughing hurts soooo bad , i can't imagine how throwing up must feel. Hope your recovery continues to go well!

Old 01-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
    Itralian1
    (male)

Itralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB User

Nanacan.... you need to relax and rest. There are so many others on these boards that are familiar with the ins and outs of these surgeries. Alot of experience can be found here. I have found endless advice to get through this. I was scared silly coming in. I am Slowly recovering and, thats just fine by me! I just want to do this one and done! I Hope your comfortable and I will add you to my prayers!

The following user gives a hug of support to Itralian1:
    Nanacan (01-15-2012)
    Old 01-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
    Cindyx3
    (female)

Cindyx3 HB User

I had ACDF in June of 2009 and it takes a while to heal Don't get nervous. I had two levels done and it's one heck of a surgery. I honestly don't think the surgery was bad, it was the recovery and healing time for me. You will feel different things but you will feel better then you were. Good Luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Cindyx3 For This Useful Post:
    Nanacan (01-15-2012)
    Old 01-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
    Nanacan
    (female)

Thanks y'all for the encouragement! I'm not really disappointed by the progress or lack of progress, I think because when I had back surgery it was obvious I couldn't get up by myself. I guess I feel like because the recovery seems so much easier than that , that I feel like I should be doing more. But today I think I overdid a little & now my right shoulder & arm us hurting a lit. So good night I hope all of you have a good night!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
    joaneeo
    Inactive
    (female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nanacan View Post
    Thanks y'all for the encouragement! I'm not really disappointed by the progress or lack of progress, I think because when I had back surgery it was obvious I couldn't get up by myself. I guess I feel like because the recovery seems so much easier than that , that I feel like I should be doing more. But today I think I overdid a little & now my right shoulder & arm us hurting a lit. So good night I hope all of you have a good night!

Don't overexert yourself. It will take longer for the recovery process.

The Following User Says Thank You to joaneeo For This Useful Post:
    Nanacan (01-15-2012)
    Old 01-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
    Itralian1
    (male)

Hi nanacan I'm not sure why but, my arm (right) flared up like that on a few or more occasions. I chalked it up to part of healing process? Football games should get a lil less stressful moving forward. Arm usually clears up quickly or at least it did for me! Have a great day and oh yea, i have never had any problems w/my vision. that may just be your meds!

The Following User Says Thank You to Itralian1 For This Useful Post:
    Nanacan (01-15-2012)
    Old 01-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Nanacan.....right now this Nana can't do much but I can answer you here(and I answered you on my thread too).

Neck surgery takes a long time for you to heal. Think about what is in the area where they just operated...spine, esophagus, throat, carotid artery and jugular vein and a whole bunch of muscles....an awful lot in a very tight space of the neck. So any swelling from the surgery will affect something.

But nerves heal differently from anything else. We think that when we heal, we should have less and less pain. With nerves, the nerves that are damaged are usually numb and as they heal you start to get some sensation. Tingling may come first and then electrical zaps and when they finally come back to full life, they may scream at you with pain....as if saying ..HI I'm BBBaaacccckkkkkk. It is the reverse of what we experience when we have compression...first is major pain and then you slowly lose feeling with more and more tingling and zaps until you become numb with an absence of pain.

That is why I always tell everyone who comes here in pain looking for surgery that pain means the nerve is alive and kicking and the docs don't operate for pain...they operate for numb.

Nerve cells are the slowest growing cells in the body. I remember being taught that once a nerve is cut, that is it....it never grows back. But that is not true. It can take 8-10 months to completely grow back and even then, getting the electrical signals flowing normally can take much longer. Took me 3 years to finally get my left arm fully back(or as fully functioning as it will ever be). Some nerves cells won't come back, especially the tiny ones in the skin(why we are numb around the incision). Others will and others may come part way back. You won't know for sometime...like years. It is the major nerves and cord that once they lose their blood supply that they die in a matter of minutes and will never come back. That is why we get surgery....to prevent that from happening.

So celebrate the zaps and tingles...that is proof of healing. Celebrate the pain...you can now feel something that maybe you wouldn't without the surgery you had(but do take you pain meds).

I remember telling my doc that my pain level was a 2-3 several days after surgery...I was very numb. He and I were both very happy when I became miserable with pain at an 8-9 a couple of weeks later! Meant I might just beat the paralysis that had set in. And I did!

Take care and keep resting.

hugs..........Jenny

Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
    Cindyx3
    (female)

Cindyx3 HB User

I had a crushed nerve and a pinched nerve. The pinched nerve came back a lot quicker then the crushed nerve that never full recovered. i was losing the use of my arm and waited too long. I can tell you this, I don't regret the surgery. There are pain free days that are amazing. I also have very bad RA so those days bite. The best part of this surgery is when you can feel again. The healing takes time but the rewards are awesome. I had to go on Soma for muscle spasms. The bad nerve goes nuts at times but it not as bad as before. It's free and is still healing so please take care and know there is a light at the end. Big Hugs and Speedy Healing to you!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
    joaneeo
    Inactive
    (female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post

That is why I always tell everyone who comes here in pain looking for surgery that pain means the nerve is alive and kicking and the docs don't operate for pain...they operate for numb.

hugs..........Jenny
    I agree. my NS said the most pressing matter was the central cord compression at c5-6 and he wanted to do that but if I did decide to have the surgery he would also throw in c4-5 because he believed that was what was causing the pain in my arms. I was losing sensory perception in early december when I first saw him. I had symptoms of myelopathy according to him the day I had surgery but the added bonus of getting rid of the pain was nice, LOL!

Closed Thread