It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Are there any better neuro drugs than Gabapentin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2012, 03:53 AM   #1
    ces59
    (female)

ces59 HB Userces59 HB User
    Are there any better neuro drugs than Gabapentin?

I had spinal compression over two years ago. In March 2010 I had ACDF at C6/7. It secured my future in that it stopped any further damage, but the pain in my arms has not gone away and my surgeon says it is likely to be permanent. I am on Gabapentin which is OK in that it keeps the pain down most of the time except if I use my arms too much i.e. keyboarding, sitting in one place. It also makes me feel 'slow'. Sometimes it takes me a while to remember something. I am definitely not as sharp as I used to be. I should say I have retired - could not work at the same level as before. Are there any other drugs I might ask about? This is all I have been offered here in the UK. I am seeing my surgeon on Monday so any advice would be welcome.

The following user gives a hug of support to ces59:
    byoung6 (01-27-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Are there any better neuro drugs than Gabapentin?

I'm sorry I'm later in getting back to you....bad hands for a few days and couldn't type for anything! I'm sure you understand

Here in the US we have a drug called Cymbalta. it's marketed as an anti-depressant but is approved for depression, anxiety AND peripheral neuropathy. In my experience, it worked best for peripheral neuropathy as it didn't touch my depression at the time. But it really helped the neuropathy and was much better than gabapentin.

Problem is, I don't know if you can get this from your NHS. Worth looking into?

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
    ces59 (01-31-2012)
    Old 01-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
    ces59
    (female)

ces59 HB Userces59 HB User

I have been to see my surgeon - he did not mention the drug you mentioned - I will check it out. He suggested pre-gabelin (?) so I am going to look into that too.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

That may help too....newer form of gabapentin. I haven't tried that one but have heard some good things about it.

Let me know how well it works....we are always looking for first hand experiences here.

good luck...............Jenny

Old 02-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
    ANGELINMICHIGAN
    (female)

ANGELINMICHIGAN HB UserANGELINMICHIGAN HB User

Hi Jenny, it has been a long time since I talked to you, my name is Lyn, Angel in Michigan. I am still around and still having the same problems with my spine and still am in Chronic Pain. I am going to a new doctor next week and I don't have any good medical insurance any more and I have to go off of my cymbalta because it is way too expensive. Do you know what they are using for a substitute now by any chance? I know it is for depression and also for fibromyalgia and I can't take Lyrica because it made my eyes blurry!!!

Can you help me please. Thanks Lyn

Closed Thread