It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Help reading my MRI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
    irishcream12
    (female)

irishcream12 HB User
    Help reading my MRI

Had an MRI in Jan 2012 I have had a lot of migraine headaches in the neck, left shoulder left arm and hand radiating pain. I can't work my desk job and haven't in over 1 year. I am on Lyrica, amitriptyline and maloxacam.? I have been diganosied with cervical spondylosis. How bad is it? I am reposting in this area, hopefully my ? will get answered. Thank you!
    C2-3 within normal limits.
    C3-4 imagining demonstrates broad-based ridging composed of desiccated disk material confined to the ventral epidural region. There is mild right facet arthropathy. There is no central canal or foraminal stenosis.
    C4-5 Broad based ridging composed of desiccated disk material is present confined to the ventral epidural region. Mild right facet arthopathy is seen. There is no central canal stenosis. Imaging demonstrates moderate to severe right and moderate left foraminal stenosis.
    C5-6 Imaging demonstrates broad-based disk bulge confined to the ventral epidural region. There is a slight left paracentral disk protrusion which abuts and contours the ventral aspect of the cord. There is a focal moderate central canal stenosis. Imaging demonstrates severe right greater than left foraminal stenosis.
    C6-7 Imaging demonstrates broad-based ridging confined to the ventral epidural region. There is no evidence of desiccated disk material. There is a slight paracentral predominance. This contours the ventral aspect of the cord. There is mild to moderate central canal stenosis. Left uncovertebral joint hypertrophy is present, Imaging demonstrates mild to moderate left foraminal stenosis. The right foramen is patent.
    C7-T1 Broad based ridging composed of desiccated disk present; This has a bilateral foraminal predominance. There is however no central canal; stenosis. Mild left foraminal is present. The right foramen is patent.
    Impression: Degenerative changes of the cervical spine as detailed above producing regions of moderate and mild to moderate central canal, as well as regions of mild to severe foraminal stenosis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Help reading my MRI

Spondylosis is a general term for a condition that everyone has, which is that over time there's a lot of wear and tear on the spine.

At two levels (C5-6 and C6-7) you have disk bulges big enough to impact the spinal canal. The radiologist does not consider them to be serious, YET. Do you have any symptoms in your legs, which might indicate cord involvement at the cervical level?

You have a lot of foraminal problems due to the bulging disks and ridging. The foramina are openings in the spine where peripheral nerves leave the spinal cord and head off into the shoulders and arms. If something is growing into these openings, it creates stenosis (narrowing), and may pinch the roots of those peripheral nerves, causing a wide variety of symptoms.

If you read down the various levels, you'll see that the only places the radiologist considers the foraminal narrowing to be "severe" is on the right side, which, unfortunately, does not correspond to your symptoms.

I think you need to get a couple more opinions about what's causing your symptoms (including why apparently severe right-side foraminal stenosis is asymptomatic) and what might be done. Depending on the size of the disk bulges, a surgeon might want to remove them via ACDF surgery which, hopefully, would clear out the foramina. Alternatively, foraminotomy procedures could be employed to specifically address the foraminal narrowing.

Last edited by WebDozer; 01-31-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
    irishcream12
    (female)

irishcream12 HB User

I really appreciate your advice! Maybe it is a pinched nerve causing the pain on let side?! I really agree and think I need another opinion. Thanks a bunch!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
    frenchfri1003
    (female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User

Jenny, Good luck with your surgery. What are they doing this time? I haven't seen you on recently. So sorry that you need yet another surgery. One of my biggest fears. At least most of the winter was not bad with snow like last year. Again good luck and I'll be thinking of you. I have been diagnosed with RSD and going for Stellate Ganglion Blocks to see if that helps. Also have 2 bulges in the lumber with a tear at a 3rd. Oh joy!

Closed Thread