It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Electrotherapy for cervical kiphosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
    tymala
    (female)

tymala HB User
    Electrotherapy for cervical kiphosis

My MRI for my shoulders also revealed cervical kiphosis, spondylosis. My C3, C4, CS discs are moderately dessicated and C3 and C4 are bulging. My doc has offered some type of electrical treatment that will push in the protrusion. It will take 20 treatments.He also told me to make sure I have no malignicies because the treatment will make any tumor grow. This is what scares me! I am fine; I believe- had my breasts checked and getting treated for cervical ectopy but just have the "what if" in my mind.

Has anyone had this treatment and was it successful? I can't really find any info on the web or I am not looking in the right places. Also, I have an orthopedic pillow, but sleeping on my back seems to make the neck feel worse. Is this my imagination? I can't sleep on my side because of my bad shoulders.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Electrotherapy for cervical kiphosis

I had cervical kyphosis and it was fixed with surgery. I know of no legitimate way to fix it other than surgery.

How well can you hold up your head? Does it hurt to hold your head up? Can you look up at the sky?

Jenny

Last edited by jennybyc; 02-01-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
    tymala
    (female)

tymala HB User

I can look up at the sky (with cracking often) and hold up my head but always have dull pains, pops, back pains and stiffness. I can feel my protruding disc with my hand and it pushes a nerve that I have to massage and hurts when I sleep. I am probably not in terribly bad shape as of yet, my doc said he can push it in with 20 sessions of electrotherapy. I am willing to try, but afraid of the warning of it causing a malignancy to grow (if I had an unknown tumor). It scares me, but I want to do it!

How are you after your surgery? Much better? Do neck exercises or yoga help?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I am wondering if your doc is telling you the truth. In cervical kyphosis, you can't look up at the sky. Your neck is curved downward and it is almost impossible to look straight forward. If you really had kyphosis, you would be able to hold up your head or look up at all.

And that isn't a disk you are feeling in your neck. The disks are on the front side of the vertebra and about 3 inches inside your back. Impossible to feel. That is most likely a tendon that is hard and in spasm.

Save your money on this electrotherapy....it can't reverse kyphosis if you actually have kyphosis. The only way I know of to correct kyphosis is to put screws and rods into the neck that holds it in the proper curve. Yes, it worked for me but was a very long recovery from very major surgery.

I suspect you are being fed a lie to get you spend more money. Be very careful.

Jenny

Old 02-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
    pebblebeach2
    Inactive
    (male)

pebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB User

I had cervical kyphosis and the only treatment that was given to me or only option was surgery.

It was a severe surgery in that it was done over 2 days. Both from anterior and posterior. The posterior required the longest part of 8 hours in surgery and harrington rods from C3 to T4 levels. The 2nd part was the anterior for surgery of grafting and was 4 hours in surgery. From C3 to C5 or so cant remember exact levels.

Then I had to wear a collar for about 4 or 5 months long. Then therapy.

Not sure if there is any other treatment for kyphosis.

The Following User Says Thank You to pebblebeach2 For This Useful Post:
    tymala (02-03-2012)
    Old 02-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
    krazy2day
    (female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User

Did he say:

Iontophoresis (a.k.a. Electromotive Drug Administration (EMDA)) -a technique using a small electric charge to deliver a medicine or other chemical through the skin. It is basically an injection without the needle. (*********)

I've had the iontophoresis for tendonitis. It wasn't unpleasant. Not sure it helped.

I've also used a TENS unit for pain. Loved it!! Def not a cure but it sure felt good.

I found a link earlier listing some pretty serious conditions being treated with electrotherapy.. I was going to list the link for you.. but now I can't find it. It sounded promising, I was surprised.

Last edited by krazy2day; 02-03-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: added info

The Following User Says Thank You to krazy2day For This Useful Post:
    tymala (02-05-2012)
    Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
    tymala
    (female)

tymala HB User

You helped so much and I finally found his paper that he wrote for me. It is almost the same as what you had except phonophoresis. He uses the ultrasound with hydrocortisone and some other meds. He said it can push the discs in for awhile (don't know how long). I am all for trying it, just afraid of the cancer scare- increasing of possible tumors, but I am sure that I probably have none with the exception of cervical ectopty which has no cancer but it is pre-cancerous. I am getting cauterization though.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
    krazy2day
    (female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User

If I were you I'd have whomever is treating you for the pre-cancerous cervical ectopty say it won't complicate anything. Is it in the same area? Someone mentioned that to me and I remember reading 'the same area' isn't suggested.

Yehh, who would think they could 'push it back in' with treatments like this? I think warmth or a little tiny sting is the most you might feel and IF you did feel it, they would back off to your comfort.

The Following User Says Thank You to krazy2day For This Useful Post:
    tymala (02-07-2012)
    Old 02-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
    tymala
    (female)

tymala HB User

Not the same area, it is gynocological problem and so far all my biopsies have shown no cancer. Here in Europe there is a new procedure to check us women better, CIN TEC Plus and I am waiting for more results. She will also do a cauterization. I am 90% sure that it will not be a problem. My protrusion is not too bad as of yet, and I kind of believe that it will work due to the fact that I can push it in with my hand a bit now and even massage the area. I wonder if this treatment each year might be beneficial. I am also about to embark in rotator cuff surgery, my neck probs help weaken my shoulders. I live in Republic of Georgia and I just have to last 2 more weeks to endure my neck therapy and try not to complicate my shoulder and hop on the plane for surgery in America. Just gotta last two more weeks without a shoulder dislocation! Having 3 procedures done close together! Yikes! Life is hard! Thanks for the encouragement crazy day! I am willing to try anything. My docs are great over here, but I want my surgery in my States so that the warm TX weather can help heal me and I can have my mom take care of me, and I don't feel like trying to speak Russian before and after the operating table. Just too stressful!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
    jennybyc
    Inactive

NOTHING you can do from the outside will push a disk back into place...NOTHING.

The disk is on the front side of the vertebra and about 2-3 inches away from the skin of the neck from either side. Nothing they put on the skin will help a disk....you can't make the cortisone go 3 inches into the body and around the bone of the back of the vertebra and into the disk. Physically impossible.

What it might do is get into the muscles and help with spasms and pain but that is it. but it could also make the skin thinner and more liable to bleeding and eventually thin the tendons that hold the muscles and make you even more prone to injury.

This could make you worse and won't help. May make you feel better from the ultrasound heat to sore muscles but that is it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
    tymala (02-07-2012)
    Old 02-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Russia is not considered Europe(only the continent). It is not part of the EU = European Union.

Last edited by nochange; 02-07-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
    tymala
    (female)

tymala HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nochange View Post
    Russia is not considered Europe(only the continent). It is not part of the EU = European Union.
    I do not live in Russia, I temporarily live and work as an NGO for the Abkhazian refugees in the Republic of Georgia which left the CIS in 2009 after the war with Russia. And I permanently live in the Czech Republic. Georgia is considered Eurasia in one sense but mainly the Caucasus-many of the Georgians here like to consider themselves Europeans. I usually have the habit of saying that I still live in Europe, but it is nice that you want to be technical about the location.

Jenny- thanks, I was hoping it would temporarily help, but you have convinced me otherwise. There was such a lack of research on the topic and so I will pass on the procedure. Many hugs Jenny and thanks for your help with my rotator cuff surgery information.

Last edited by tymala; 02-07-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
    tymala
    (female)

tymala HB User

I would also like to know how you guys are sleeping. On your backs or sides? What is the best way to do so with bulging discs? I can swear that sleeping on my back is causing more problems but I must due to my rotator cuff problems. I am also using the memory foam pillow and not sure if it is working well.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #14
    pebblebeach2
    Inactive
    (male)

pebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB User

I usally sleep on my side. I find it the most comfortable. Sleeping on my back I find I can't do at all. I know the pillows I have are not the best. I tried a pillow that gives support to the neck, but even that I could not get used to.

I've been thinking of looking into a different pillow but haven't checked it out yet. I better do something maybe it will give me some needed relief....Allan

Old 02-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #15
    joaneeo
    Inactive
    (female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pebblebeach2 View Post
    I usally sleep on my side. I find it the most comfortable. Sleeping on my back I find I can't do at all. I know the pillows I have are not the best. I tried a pillow that gives support to the neck, but even that I could not get used to.

I've been thinking of looking into a different pillow but haven't checked it out yet. I better do something maybe it will give me some needed relief....Allan
    Have you tried a cervical pillow? I also have a memory foam pillow but it's not like the wedge type-it's like a regular pillow. I can't sleep in a bed any more.
    And I'm a side sleeper too but I've learned to adjust. I miss my bed though.

Closed Thread