It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• My MRI Result please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
    anujmitt
    (male)

anujmitt HB User
    My MRI Result please help

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum. I have got an mri done for my C Spine and the result had the following:

Broadbased right paracentral disc protusion at C5/6 with minor flattening of the cord. No evidence of cord signal abnormality.

What does this mean?

From my reading it means that I have a bulged disc on the right side 90 to 180 degrees which has not ruptured or herniated.

I have been having pins and needles in arms and legs.

Could they be related?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: My MRI Result please help

No quite.

The spinal canal is an opening in the vertebral bone that goes all the way from the base of the skull to the end of the tailbone. Inside of that canal is the spinal cord and it's spinal fluid, held in around the cord by a membrane called the thecal sac. To the front of that canal is the main area of bone(shaped like a round disk) and the disks are in between the bones....round like the bone shape. The back edge of the disk is right up against the spinal canal.

So even a slight bulge of the disk backwards can protrude into the spinal canal. Doesn't have to be herniated(which means ruptured) to be hitting the cord or the sac around the cord. In your case, it is hitting the cord and even makes an indentation in the cord but the MRI showed no problems with the cord itself as in softening of the tissue or anything like that.

One thing that is missing form your report is how indented the cord is.....they can measure how wide the cord it and tell you if it's 10mms. or 6mms. Average size is above 12 mms. Anything below 10mms is considered to be abnormal.

The cord can take a lot of compression IF the compression develops slowly. I was down to 5-6mms at 2 places and 8mms at 2 more. So how compressed is important as to whether or not you have surgery.

The symptoms you are having could be from cord compression. I never had any pain from mine but some people do. But it causes numbness, tingling, pins and needles anywhere below that level so arms to toes is the area involved. Shoulders, neck and back of head should not be involved. You can develop muscle dysfunction such as stiff legs, dropping things, muscle weakness in arms and legs, trouble moving your legs forward, and even walking with the feet wider than normal to adjust for a loss of balance...I called it my drunk walk. I would usually be pretty good in the AM but went steadily downhill as the day went on.

What has your doc suggested for treatment/surgery?

Both Webdozer and I had a new surgery called a laminoplasty to fix our cord compression. It doubles the size of the spinal canal without having to do any kind of fusion. No fusion is good news.

Any of this sound familiar?

Jenny

Old 02-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Are your symptoms more on the right than the left? Where does the affected area of your arms begin?

Old 02-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
    anujmitt
    (male)

anujmitt HB User

Thanks guys for the reply. Very informative.

Both of my arms are having pins and needles but they have been happening a lot less now.

The report was ordered by my GP and he does not think I need to do anything except rest and it will get better.

I would like to get your thoughts please. Is it possible that the buldging disk will shrink hence everyhing will be fine on its own?

Here is the full report:

The craniocervial junction is normal in appearance.

No cord signal abnormality has been demonstrated.

At C5/6 there is a right paracentral broadbased disc protusion. This resuls in minor flattening of the ventral surface of the right hemicord without the cord signal abnormality. The neutral exit foramina are adequte at this level and there is no convincing of nerve root compression.

In the remainder of the cervical spine there is no evidence of a significant disc protusion, central canal or exit foraminal stenosis.

Fluid signal is noted within the sphenoid sinus. This has been incompletely visualised but suggests a degree of sinusitis.

COMMENT Broadbased right paracentral disc protusion at C5/6 with minor flattening of the cord. No evidence of cord signal abnormality.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
    anujmitt
    (male)

anujmitt HB User

Thanks guys for that information. The pins and needles are somewhat starting to disappear but my arms are feeling weak and hurt when I type for a while ( my right arm).

My GP ordered the report and he says there is nothing to worry about and I should return to my previous activites.

Is it possible the disc will heal at all? What can I do to ensure I am healing correctly.

Is it possible that I wont need to have surgery in the future?

Thanks.

Here is the full report:

The craniocervial junction is normal in appearance.

No cord signal abnormality has been demonstrated.

At C5/6 there is a right paracentral broadbased disc protusion. This resuls in minor flattening of the ventral surface of the right hemicord without the cord signal abnormality. The neutral exit foramina are adequte at this level and there is no convincing of nerve root compression.

In the remainder of the cervical spine there is no evidence of a significant disc protusion, central canal or exit foraminal stenosis.

Fluid signal is noted within the sphenoid sinus. This has been incompletely visualised but suggests a degree of sinusitis.

COMMENT Broadbased right paracentral disc protusion at C5/6 with minor flattening of the cord. No evidence of cord signal abnormality.

Closed Thread