It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• hydrocodone vs. Oxycodone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
    pebblebeach2
    Inactive
    (male)

pebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB User
    hydrocodone vs. Oxycodone

I was taken off of Oxycodone because it was felt I was having a reaction -- difficulty breathing from the medication.

The doctor wants to try Hydrocodone .... Is there really a big difference between the two medications? I did google Hydrocodone and I thought I saw taht one of the side effects was "BREATHING DIFFICULTIES." Has anyone been on both drugs? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

Allan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
    joaneeo
    Inactive
    (female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User
    Re: hydrocodone vs. Oxycodone

Oxycodone is Percocet which is supposed to be stronger than hydrocodone which is vicodin. They are both CNS depressants and can cause breathing problems. I have been on both drugs before my surgery and neither did nothing for the pain. Narcotics help very little for nerve pain. They even put me on MS contin-gave me a headache the next day and did zilch for the pain. I'm on vicodin now after the surgery but take very little of it. I've found that resting and not overdoing it does more for post op pain than any medication.

This is something you should be discussing with your doctor if it concerns you.

Last edited by joaneeo; 02-13-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
    PrePostOp
    (male)

PrePostOp HB User

The efficacy of medication is a very personal thing. I had Vicodin, Percocet and morphine at various stages of my problems/surgery and personally, I found percocet to be the most effective pain medication I tried - it almost eliminated the pain I had entirely unlike Morphine, which did almost nothing for me, and vicodin, which was moderately effective at best. Oxycodone isn't the most abused prescription medication in America for no reason though, and I got off it as soon as I could.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

only because you DID at all 'react' to the components of oxy, i would speak to your pharmacist about the hydro. along with having ANY types of possible allergies to any part of what the overall make up of what oxy contains. you just 'could' and not know it yet if you had never tried oxy before now too. it all kind of depends exactly "what' it was you could have been reacting to that would realistically dictate whether or not you would react to the hydro too. while they are both narcotics, oxyalong with some other individual narcotics is a much more true pure opiate based med and hydro IS more a synthetic type of narcotic, so you may or may not get the same reaction to hydro. it is just the "what' in the oxy made the breathing difficulties occur that does matter here, and if this is also in the make up of the hydro too(all fillers). the pharmacist would simply know much more about THAT part than the doc would and how crossover types of reactions could just occur as well. but alot of what any of us will or will not actually 'react' to depends more upon our own individual body physiology.

more people tend to react to oxy than hydro for some reason too. my dad could not take ANY oxy based products only because they made him itch like crazy(but NO actual breathing problems at all), but easily COULD take hydro. so you really wont know til you at least consult with an actual pharm and possibly try it. but if you should decide to try it at all, use some levels of safety precautions just incase.

i would do it in much smaller increments than the full pill at first(like half dose it), just to see if there is ANY type of reaction what so ever and if nothing happens over the first hour or so, go up a bit more on your next dose, or take the "rest' of the whole dose you cut down at first? just do NOT do this if you are going to be going to sleep right away. you DO need to do this during the day time. also if you do try it, make certain that someone else is around you if at all possible. but if no one is around you, at least let someone you really trust to simply pop in to check on you, or call you about an hour after taking. and keep your phone close by at ALL times incase you just DO react. you just need to be careful with any med that you start taking that you never took before, esp when it is in a 'group' or type of particular meds that you already DID have any type of reaction to before. i do hope it works for you.

just an FYI here with ANY type of actual narcotics. they will ALL have the same 'possibility' of generating CNS/breathing issues usually if the overall dose is just way too high for YOU. they just naturally depress the respiatory drive if too high. but THAT particular dose usually has to be wayy way up there to even do this particular "type" of depressed breathing. it happens more often in acute pain situations, usually in hosp with most often morphine. this is just what can occur with ANY type of a CNS depressant, so they HAVE to place that in the Rxing info. marcia

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to feelbad For This Useful Post:
    Chitown2012 (02-14-2012),joaneeo (02-15-2012)
    Old 02-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
    pebblebeach2
    Inactive
    (male)

pebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB User

I picked up my prescription for Hydrocodone with Aeceteminophen 7.5-750 to be taken 1 tablet 4 times a day.

I did ask the pharmacist this morning when I picked it up about Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone. She indicated that the Hydrodone is milder then the Oxycodone and is processed in your system differently than the Oxycodone. I did tell her that I had a reaction of breathing difficulties and also seemed to react to the Baclofen as well.

Will see how I tolerate the medication.

I have been on so many medications over the past 20 plus years. I believe that I had been on oxycodone somewhere along the line for a short period of time. This is the first time that I think I can say that I had any real reaction to any medication that I have taken.

I just hope it works. Tired of the pain............................!!!!!

Thanks all for the input....................Allan

Old 02-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
    joaneeo
    Inactive
    (female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User

Good luck Allen-I hope you find some relief.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

ditto on that. just because any narcotic states it is 'milder' does NOT always mean 'less pain control'. it really comes down to just how any given pain will react to any specific narcotic that matters more. i respond well to hydro for like a tooth extraction, vs what i used to be on as my oxy IR, and still was on the same higher amount of oxycontin too. i was dying til the endo rxed some hydro, and it worked really well for THAT type of pain. it really IS how/where your pain just is, the actual generator, and how any given narcotic just 'hits it'.

just DO be aware of taking some safety precautions i mentioned before. also make CERTAIN that you ALWAYS list oxy and the baclofen as 'being allergic to' from now on. and make certain the pharm you go to ALSO has this critical info in their system profile on you as well so you do not inadvertantly end up with any drug that has a crossover effect from some of the components of those two meds. who knows allen, whatever you reacted to with the baclofen, could be the very same type of possible filler, or something else you reacted to with oxy. and THAT i would ask your pharm about. some meds are 'connected' in certain ways. just because a particular filler in any given med states it is 'inactive' as an ingredient, does NOT mean someone cannot react TO it. i am VERY sensitive myself to anything that has a particular red dye on it(this ONLY just started within about the last five years or so too, don't know why, just does this). and for some stupid reason there just are alot of meds and suppliments that just have to have the stupid red color dye on them. it has been fun. hope the hydro works hon, marcia

Closed Thread