It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Lifestyle Changes for Herniated Disc Sufferers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
    tymala
    (female)

tymala HB User
    Lifestyle Changes for Herniated Disc Sufferers

I have bulging C3, C4 discs and 4mm protrusion of C5 disc causing mild compression of dural sac. My spinal chord is fine and MRI shows signs of cervical kiphosis. I still need to find a good doc who speaks English in my current country of residence so I need help from you guys. After dislocations in my shoulder, I have had to sleep on my back and neck problems are coming back. I started having my problems 5 years ago and I guess they were not so bad. I suddenly got better after I went on a long walking tour of Egypt and think possibly the warm weather, lack of sitting, and the changing of sleeping on my side helped. What should I be doing now to prevent more problems?Here is my guess, but I am still naive to alot of these issues:

Stand or walk as much as possible- I read that it helps stop the compression.
    Sit on a bouncy ball- helps pump the disc.
    Stop wearing high heels
    Get physical therapy and find a decent doc of course!

My main question to everyone is- what are your jobs? Are you able to handle a desk job? I can go back to teaching and keep standing, but I love to write and would like to continue NGO work or get back into marketing and advertising. Is a standing job better?

Does anyone do yoga?
    What types of exercise can you do?
    Are you able to read for a period of time? Reading and studying languages are my passion.
    Is movement of the neck the best antidote or resting it?
    Are standing jobs the best choice?
    Is chiropractic care bad or good? I read mixed reviews.
    Can any certain diet help- ie-more protein and/or magnesium?

I am very healthy and still young, but live in fear that I will get worse with time and will be unable to earn a decent living with these problems. Please school me and give me whatever advice you can give me. I am so nervous and scared!

Thanks so much in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
    mom477
    Veteran
    (female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User
    Re: Lifestyle Changes for Herniated Disc Sufferers

Hello . I have my C5 bulging into my spine causing compression. I also have 3 other disc in my neck bulging but arent that bad. I have been dealing with numbness and tingling of both arms (right one mainly), legs giving out as I walk and numbness of legs off and on as well. Past 2 yrs my issues have gotten alot worse and Im unable to work. Back when this first happened I was a dead chef/manager/waitress and that was hard for me to do when it was mild. I cant stand for more than 5-10 min. Same with sitting. Ive tried sit down jobs and cant do those either.

I havent been able to work for the last 4 years. I also have other health issues that make it worse.

Chiropractic care isnt good. I did that for a year when this first happened and there was zero improvement.

I say do what makes you comfortable and be careful of how you move your neck etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to mom477 For This Useful Post:
    tymala (02-15-2012)
    Old 02-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
    tymala
    (female)

tymala HB User

Have you tried neck fusions or considered surgery? This is not very promising

Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
    mom477
    Veteran
    (female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

I'm going to have surgery for fusion within the next month. Took me 9 years to find a regular doctor that would listen to me. I always got dismissed and probably because I have medicaid.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
    tymala
    (female)

tymala HB User

I am scared to move back to the States for this reason. I permanently live in Czech Republic and have no problems getting excellent affordable health care. I now temporarily live in the Republic of Georgia and am nervous about the surgeons and docs here (but they are probably fine). We tried to get a surgeon in the States to do rotator cuff surgery on me but denied me without reason. I think it is because I am paying cash (get refunded by EU insurance) and he will make twice as much if I was insured. So I hope you can get surgery soon because if you can't stand or sit then what can you do but sleep?

Old 02-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
    mom477
    Veteran
    (female)

I sure hope you can find a doctor to give you some answers. Research doctors in your area. I don't sleep much LOL

Closed Thread