It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C7-T1 ACDF and Foraminotomy recovery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
    Pwalla57
    (female)

Pwalla57 HB User
    C7-T1 ACDF and Foraminotomy recovery

I'm getting c7-T1 acdf and foraminotomy in a week. They are going to use PEEK combined with bone marrow from my hip for the disc. Has anyone have this type of disc and how does the hip feel in recovery period. Thank you

Last edited by Pwalla57; 02-20-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
    Pwalla57
    (female)

Pwalla57 HB User
    Re: C7-T1 ACDF and Foraminotomy recovery

I am having one level C7-T1(I guess that's considered one level) and foraminotomy. Instead of bone from hip they take bone marrow. In three months he said he may do two more levels and foraminotomy. He couldn't do that now because he would have to flip me over.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
    joaneeo
    Inactive
    (female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User

Edited

Last edited by joaneeo; 02-23-2012 at 08:45 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to joaneeo For This Useful Post:
    Pwalla57 (02-22-2012)
    Old 03-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
    Pwalla57
    (female)

Pwalla57 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joaneeo View Post
    Edited
    I had the surgery February 29,2012 at Stanford. They aspirated bone marrow out of my c7 vertebrae instead of my hip and added it to the peek disc. The anesthesiologist said my airway was too small so I sucked in this gas to numb my mouth and throat and they stuck a camera down there. Before I knew it I was out. I asked the Dr. later about being intubated and he said they used fiber optic intubation. Instead of sutures they used glue.

I'm exactly one week post C-7 T-1 acdf and foraminotomy(sp)I'm in alot of pain in my thoracic area. You know you always have the question in your mind if the hardware is all in place. I had my surgery at Stanford Hospital and have alot of faith in my NS. Monday 5 days post I walked about 5 houses down and back and was just dying the next day. When can I trust that I'm ok to walk and is it normal to have this much pain?
    Thank you

Last edited by Pwalla57; 03-08-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Changed last paragraph

Old 03-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
    Pwalla57
    (female)

Pwalla57 HB User
    Re: C7-T1 ACDF and Foraminotomy recovery 11 days post op

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pwalla57 View Post
    I had the surgery February 29,2012 at Stanford. They aspirated bone marrow out of my c7 vertebrae instead of my hip and added it to the peek disc. The anesthesiologist said my airway was too small so I sucked in this gas to numb my mouth and throat and they stuck a camera down there. Before I knew it I was out. I asked the Dr. later about being intubated and he said they used fiber optic intubation. Instead of sutures they used glue.

I'm exactly one week post C-7 T-1 acdf and foraminotomy(sp)I'm in alot of pain in my thoracic area. You know you always have the question in your mind if the hardware is all in place. I had my surgery at Stanford Hospital and have alot of faith in my NS. Monday 5 days post I walked about 5 houses down and back and was just dying the next day. When can I trust that I'm ok to walk and is it normal to have this much pain?
    Thank you

I'm 11 days post op now. I went out of the house yesterday"I saw people". My husband took me out to coffee for about a half hour. I came home and slept for 3 hours after that. Whew! I talked to my nurse at Stanford ths last week and she said basically its trial and error about walking or going anywhere. Of course no going anywhere unless someone else is driving. I missed my pain meds Thursday morning at 4:30am. I woke up and my whole chest area and my whole thoracic area hurt like a crushing pain. It's a very helpless feeling and it's also scary because I feel like it hurts like a heart attack. As soon as I took my pain pills the pain went away. My husband made a spread sheet and he is setting his alarm to wake me up when pain meds are due. I'm on 2 tramadol and 900 mg of gabapentin every 6 hours and oxycodone and/or flexeril every 2-4 hours as needed. This keeps my pain under control pretty well. My husband won't let me lift a finger. I spend most my days in my comfy chair with an ottamon and a heat pad in my back. I will try to walk again a little next week.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
    BBBA
    (female)

BBBA HB User

Hi, on Feb. 21, I had acdf at C4/5, 5/6 and 6/7. For 15 days post-op, I had excruciating nerve pain in my left arm before it started dissapating. Before surgery, I had a dull ache in left arm but no nerve pain; so I was terrified that the surgery had caused new problems. Since the nerve pain subsided, I have had very bad pain in my upper back and at the site of the worst herniation (C6/7). I suffered several disk herniations in mid- to upper back due to an assault almost three yrs. ago; so, the stress caused on adjacent 'un-well' discs has been severe. I, too, had bone marrow put into peek cages (along with hardware) that was taken from my hip. I am 66 and in pretty good overall health except for osteopenia, so I am being very diligent about getting enough calcium, magnesium, vitamin D (including foods with calcium) to ensure proper fusion. I am absolutely terrified of one of the screws breaking or whatever, so I am being very careful, taking things slowly. I found it all but impossible to sleep in the neck brace and found that the only comfortable position was sleeping on my side with a lightweight, feather pillow under my head above shoulder level...doctor was not happy about that, but the brace hurt my neck, and I could not sleep. I make sure my neck is in a straight line and intuitively do not hurt it when I'm sleeping. I live alone....so you're fortunate to have someone to look after you. Good news is that I'm down to about two extra-strenght Acetaminophen per day now and occasional one-half mg. Klonipin for anxiety/stress. Good luck to you. My NS used to do bone cadever 'spacers' but changed to the kind you and I have....so, maybe, we got the best care.

The Following User Says Thank You to BBBA For This Useful Post:
    Pwalla57 (06-18-2012)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    c7 acdf, peek and hip bone marrow discs pain?