It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Posterior Cervical Laminectomy Patients - How Are You Now

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
    Chitown2012
    (male)

Chitown2012 HB User
    Posterior Cervical Laminectomy Patients - How Are You Now

I had Posterior Cervical Laminectomy on 02/01/2012. I was in surgery for 6 hours. They did the Lamiinectomy from C3 to C7 and Fusion from C3 to T2. I still have my left hand weakness, and am now experiencing I think what is called. C5 palsy in my right upper arm... I hope it's only temporary. I'm curious as to others who have had similar experiences. Have you been able to return to work or are you disabled. It's scary being in a situation like this with no money coming in. I have a postoperative MRi and CT Scan I'll try and post soon. Thank you to all for your support it's much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
    ariz4me
    (female)

ariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB User
    Re: Posterior Cervical Laminectomy Patients - How Are You Now

Hi, I am 16 weeks out and doing much better. I still have moderate weakness in my left arm and strength/dexterity issues in my right hand. The pain comes and goes. I am finding that most of the pain are spasms which start in the neck into my shoulders & down my arms. Of course, the spasms really affect my weakness and hand dexterity. Overall I can say that I am improving but the spasms & weakness let me know that I've got a way to go. I am back to working full time but I still have moments when I am dead tired. The tiredness is not as bad as I first started. But at times I am dead tired .

The following user gives a hug of support to ariz4me:
    Chitown2012 (02-28-2012)
    Old 02-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #3
    Chitown2012
    (male)

Chitown2012 HB User

Ariz4me:

Stupid question, do attribute the tiredness to the surgery/condition and are u still on meds and if so what and how much? Also how sleep do you normally get a night?
    Thank you!

Last edited by Chitown2012; 03-05-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Correcting typos

Old 02-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
    Chitown2012
    (male)

Chitown2012 HB User

Ariz4me, Sorry, what procedure did you have and on what levels?

Last edited by Chitown2012; 03-05-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Forgot to put to whom I was writing..

Old 03-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
    AKGIRL
    (female)

AKGIRL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chitown2012 View Post
    I had Posterior Cervical Laminectomy on 02/01/2012. I was in surgery for 6 hours. They did the Lamiinectomy from C3 to C7 and Fusion from C3 to T2. I still have my left hand weakness, and am now experiencing I think what is called. C5 palsy in my right upper arm... I hope it's only temporary. I'm curious as to others who have had similar experiences. Have you been able to return to work or are you disabled. It's scary being in a situation like this with no money coming in. I have a postoperative MRi and CT Scan I'll try and post soon. Thank you to all for your support it's much appreciated.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
    AKGIRL
    (female)

AKGIRL HB User

I had a 5 level posterior laminectomy about 5 years ago..no fusion..and am doing fabulously! I too was dismayed by all of the strange nerve responses...numbness, tingling, a feeling like bees were buzzing in my legs..but all disappeared over the first year. I wish someone would have told me to expect it to take awhile to recover....and I have to say, it did take about a year to recover to 90%...but from there it just kept getting better and better! I can do just about anything now...
    Hang in there..it will get better...my suggestions? Rest when you can...be gentle with yoursellf, stay in touch with your doc (even when you think you might be bugging him/her) and dont worry! (My dad said it best.." Be glad you are broken and not sick..they can fix broken, but they cant always fix sick") : )

The following user gives a hug of support to AKGIRL:
    Chitown2012 (03-04-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to AKGIRL For This Useful Post:
    Chitown2012 (03-05-2012)
    Old 03-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
    stevesback
    (male)

stevesback HB User

I had a laminectomy with fusion from c3to T1 December 1st. Before surgery I had few symptoms. Sporadic shoulder and arm pain and occasional tingling, but no myelopothy symptoms. However 3 surgeons i consulted said becasue of spinal stenosis i was in danger of developing real problems.
    I just went for my 3 month followup. My surgeon said fusion was progressing well. I have no restrictions at this point. I still have some numbness in my pointer and index finger of my right hand and some stiffness in my right shoulder. Sometimes after a day of working at the computer I experience general tingling in my arms and hands.
    About a week after the surgery I had c5 palsy where I couldn't lift my left arm beyond my chest. It didn't hurt just wouldn't work. It resolved fairly quickly after about 3 weeks, but my surgeon said it can take longer to resolve.

At my my 3month, my surgeon did say that full recovery can take 18 months before you know what your new normal is.

Steve

Last edited by stevesback; 03-04-2012 at 07:16 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to stevesback For This Useful Post:
    Chitown2012 (03-05-2012)
    Old 03-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
    Chitown2012
    (male)

Chitown2012 HB User

Ariz4me, Where are located and kind of work do you do? How do you manage working with you hand weaknesses?

Last edited by Chitown2012; 03-05-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Forgot to say whom I was responding to...

Closed Thread

Tags
    cervical laminectomy, myelopathy